• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My hamster

FlowerFlo

My hamster setup. A sweet little dwarf hyprid girl is gone live in it.She comes from a rescue and we gone pick her up in a few days.
Its made up of 2 connected fishtanks and a Tank topper made by a family member.
Everything heavy is on wooden Supports so she can safely burrow.
Its 39 inches wide 35 long and 23 high. Bedding is 11 inches high.
https://petscord.com/?status/524-524-1676496944/#photo=97287
bc156ea56f67022e5589a22933a3e7d5_l.jpg
ef83ad0853fe1c58261cabfdce9e0227_l.jpg
c46a94ea1e0bde0ab43e6fc4226bc00a_l.jpg

That looks like a hamster's dream setup! Very cool. I like how natural it looks and I'm sure your hamster does too.

That reminds me of a treasured pet angora hamster my sister had as a pet when we were kids. We used to love that hamster. Sadly it got out of its cage and ended up enjoying being at large around the house more than in its abode. Then my grandparents came over to stay at our house and stayed in my sister's room. Somehow the hamster had climbed up into my sister's bed in the middle of the night and crawled across my grandpa's chest while he was sleeping. He had no idea what it was and reacting only on instinct, he picked up the furry creature and threw it against the bedroom wall. The hamster lived for a time after that but ended up dying. We assume it was from injuries it likely sustained from the impact. :disappointed:

one of my friends keeps Komodo dragons as a pet. I have heard they’re very expensive to care for. Would caring for a hamster(s) be as expensive?

I’ve always thought it would be cool to keep an octopus or a squid as a pet, but they sadly don’t live as long and a small tank would be unfit for an intelligent creature as smart as us.

I’ve always thought it would be cool to keep an octopus or a squid as a pet, but they sadly don’t live as long and a small tank would be unfit for an intelligent creature as smart as us.
You just have to move to the ocean. Submarine house, perhaps?

Is that the Monterey Bay aquarium?
I was in Monterey a number of years ago but I never got to go inside the aquarium :( I have always really wanted to.
I did see sea lions though!
I'll send some pictures your way then. ;)

one of my friends keeps Komodo dragons as a pet. I have heard they’re very expensive to care for. Would caring for a hamster(s) be as expensive?
Komodo dragons are huge! I had no idea they were allowed to be kept as pets. That’s really interesting. And yeah, I’m not surprised it’s expensive…

They have a venomous bite and can actually take down a water buffalo, so I wonder how people manage to avoid being bit. I would be very intimidated by a pet one.

I have seen equally bizarre exotic pets though, like sloths and anteaters.

At an animal education presentation I attended, they brought various animals
onto an open stage while the commentator told the audience things about them.
I had a front row seat that was only about 4 ft. away from the stage and the stage was open. Only about 3 ft. high.

One of the animals was a Komodo Dragon on a leash. The handler walked it to the edge of the stage in front of me. I knew they were venomous, still I jumped up with my camera and got in it's face to get a photo.
Just then, the commentator told everyone the bite was deadly and if bitten you're most likely dead within 10 minutes.

I know it was my choice, but it seemed dangerous to bring it to the edge of the stage
even though no one else got up that close.
They also had Cheetah's, not on leashes sitting close to the edge of the stage.
Still, looks like they would have known it wasn't safe for the audience.

JackHannah 017.JPG

The Komodo dragon picture was out of focus, so I don't have it.
Look at those eyes!
There is a dog behind the Cheetah and it's on a leash. But not the Cheetah.
Edit: Took two pictures of the Dragon.
Found this one in next file. Not bad.
JackHannah2017 007.JPG

It depends. Sometimes you can find right sized aquariums for pretty cheap.
But things like bedding, good quality food and weels and hides can be quite expensive too. Sometimes vet bills are expensive. But i dont think a hamster is as expensive as a Komodo dragons.

New Threads

Top Bottom