• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My first photo show!

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Had a brief discussion two weekends ago at a friend's cafe, she offered me a solo art/photo show... I firmed it up with her more today in the afternoon for a show early next year...

It will likely be 10 to 15 prints, probably go with an urban/street photography theme, but definitely want to develop a strong theme not just simply "street photography"

I will probably do the prints professionally, but I know there are inexpensive options for framing (eek! I've never done anything like this before)

Plus wrestling with saleability vs. what I think my best work is, I suspect some of my urban photos might not sell very well, but then does that matter, in a sense it does...

Here is one urban street photo that might have a broader appeal for a show and possibly sell? I am allowed to sell photos like this as fine art... This is one of my all time faves (I have lots of faves though), it was taken in 2008, it was a stranger portrait and I did interact with her...

Holding Up the Post.jpg

Congrats!! That’s amazing!!!
And I really admire your work and I think your show will do very well. That portrait is beautiful.
My therapist suggested that I could sell some of my art and photography but it’s kind of anxiety-inducing lol so I understand being nervous, especially if it’s your first time. But I think you’ll do great!! :)

Congrats!! That’s amazing!!!
And I really admire your work and I think your show will do very well. That portrait is beautiful.
My therapist suggested that I could sell some of my art and photography but it’s kind of anxiety-inducing lol so I understand being nervous, especially if it’s your first time. But I think you’ll do great!! :)

This is the basic story about that photo:

This lady stayed in the same spot for ages waiting for a military parade to pass by, which it finally did after a rather long ceremony down the street... As she came back from buying some cigarettes (the parade had not passed by yet) she joked to me that she felt like she had been holding up the post all morning...

And I've said it before that I've never actively pursued anything like a show like this, it was my friend's suggestion/offer, but I'm still always open and have been to a show... It will be lots of work, in particular curating and deciding on a good theme, which I feel is very important... Too much photography comes across as being generic, "my best photos" with no real link between the photos...

Glad you have a show - and wishing you all the best with it.
You are talented as a photographer, so I hope you get some good feedback - either verbally or financially (but better still both)

That's great! Don't try and second guess what will sell. Art often intrigues us simply because it is very different from what we usually like, but we find it beautiful anyway.
Try to stick in a few edgier photos in the line up. Let your photos speak for YOU, what intrigues you.

Also, consider that a person looking for sofa art probably won't be trolling an urban photo show.

Michaels craft stores often have frames on sale.

That's great! Don't try and second guess what will sell. Art often intrigues us simply because it is very different from what we usually like, but we find it beautiful anyway.
Try to stick in a few edgier photos in the line up. Let your photos speak for YOU, what intrigues you.

Also, consider that a person looking for sofa art probably won't be trolling an urban photo show.

Michaels craft stores often have frames on sale.

Yup, yup, yup...

I'm not the soothing landscape photographer, my friend does know that, my vision of the world is a little warped :) But will that sell? I care but don't care at the same time... But I have to be me :rolleyes:

Or maybe not quite yet, I've been bumped back by a scheduling issue :(

I was really hoping to run this show during our yearly photo festival in February, among other reasons for the extra promotion related to that event, instead it will be a few months later when people are paying less attention...

I swear my life is jinxed o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom