• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My favorite Linux

Never heard of that one! I've got Mint loaded up right now and I'm trying my hardest to get used to it!

How long have you been using Linux? I think I'm on day 2 right now, lol

Never heard of that one! I've got Mint loaded up right now and I'm trying my hardest to get used to it!
I suspect Rhino would be somewhat comparable to Mint Xfce. On an Ubuntu platform, running exceptionally well on older, less robust hardware platforms.

My primary Linux distro remains Mint 21.2 (Cinnamon). Love it, even on an 11-year old computer. Also like Pop!OS22.04, but it's not as elegant as Mint, IMO. :cool:

My only real criticism of Mint is that it allows only for a minimum of third-party extensions. But then that I also heard it's strictly by design to maintain quality control, which also makes plenty of sense.

But then I love the variety and quality of many Linux distributions. Especially compared to Windows 11.

Last edited:
This actually looks enticing enough to try on a spare laptop (I have too many of those lying around!). Thanks to both of you for the heads-up!

(Does the perfect distro search ever truly end? Probably not!)

(Does the perfect distro search ever truly end? Probably not!)
Took me a year-and-a-half before I started to slow down on distro-hopping...lol.

Always coming back full-circle, deciding that Linux Mint was my best experience so far. But then it can often come down to the individual computer one has. The older the motherboard, can often have glitches to address. Yet in my own case, it seems there is always an explanation out there on how to overcome such problems.

Probably my biggest issue on an earlier version of Mint (20.0) was that I had no sound. Took some research to alter parameters of three files to provide basic sound and ultimately top-notch audio. Patience and perseverance count in Linux. Especially on much older hardware platforms.

My biggest hurdle was finally understanding how to use the updated CUPS software (in Gimp 2.10) to print from my HP Envy 5530 inkjet printer to get identical results that I achieved in Windows 10. Now I'm "Windows free".

Linux Mint Desktop.jpg

Last edited:
I am really liking Linux Lite. Ubuntu had become excruciatingly slow on my 5 year old laptop, and upgrading to the latest version made things worse. So far, Lite has been nice and responsive, like Linux should be

I am really liking Linux Lite. Ubuntu had become excruciatingly slow on my 5 year old laptop, and upgrading to the latest version made things worse. So far, Lite has been nice and responsive, like Linux should be
For as many distros that I've tried based on Ubuntu, the one I probably liked the least was Ubuntu itself. It's all subjective, but there ya have it. Go figure....

How long have you been using Linux? I think I'm on day 2 right now, lol

I have been using Linux as long I can remember. I did use Windows 7, 8 and 10, but it's not as secure as Linux.

I have been using Linux as long I can remember. I did use Windows 7, 8 and 10, but it's not as secure as Linux.

I'm really jealous of people like you! I've actually been trying to get into Linux (very slowly, mind you) for the past 15 years or so, only to slide back into Windows because it's 'easier' (what a trap that can be!). And, of course, the very few apps I use on Windows that are virtually unparalleled on other platforms (for making music and art).

Thankfully it seems like a lot of improvements have been made to a host of different distros, so it's really amazing to see laptop wifi cards just working 'out of the box' (I just tested an old laptop with Rhino, thanks to this thread, and it's working like a charm already!). Maybe I'm delusional, but I feel like things were so much harder years ago!

It's such an interesting world, though. The whole FOSS philosophy included. If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the things you personally use Linux for on a daily basis? I'm always curious about these things :D

New Threads

Top Bottom