• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

my experience with Ketogenic Diet and Extended Fasting

The most beneficial approach is to fast for 4 to 7 days.

The easiest transition into a fast is to be low carb and no sugar for a week or two prior to your fast initiation.

Do not attempt fasting if you are Type-1 diabetic. Always consult a doctor prior and during a fast if you are taking medications or diabetic.

Weight loss is a goal of mine as well. Good to see you've been successful in your weight loss goals. Hope it continues for you in the future.

Boi
Weight loss is a goal of mine as well. Good to see you've been successful in your weight loss goals. Hope it continues for you in the future.
yes.

Currently my diet is 90% good fat and 10% protein as I try to keep my carbs <20g per day - as my body is fat adapted.

The interesting thing is that now I do not need to count calories, I eat one meal per day and I eat until I am full.

My problem now is maintaining weight, the more fat I eat the more weight I drop - this is due to the thermal expenditure of digestion.

I don’t exercise.

Some very detailed explanations of the biology:

Attachments

• McDonald1996.pdf
    104 KB · Views: 0
I heard a lot about that diet years ago already, never had the will to do it.
I still dont do it strictly.

But since a few weeks I try to improve my quality of life.

And I have eliminated most sources of carbs from my diet.
I feel better overall and lost a few pounds, my bloating has diseapeared ,,I dont feel tired after eating and I don't have moods swings that I associate with insulin variations.

I think I will try a more strictly keto diet later to see if it actually improves my health.

But for now simply cutting carbs did a lot, I eat more fats aswell but I dont count. I'd say i am in a 50 50% diet maybe 60% fat.

The main issue with this diet is that it is expensive if you want to eat keto and healthy. And ofc I have been conditionned to be addicted to carbs since childhood so this is hard.

A word of warning - an 18 month very low carb (AIP) diet nearly ruined my health.

During this time I developed gall stones and had severe attacks including pancreatitis, lost weight then began to gain it with carbo cravings. My energy levels went down. My gut microbiome got messed up.

There is no scientific evidence as to the safety of low carb diets. Any diet excluding processed food will show good results for a while but keto diets are missing some very important substances like micronutrients and fibre. High-ish protein has been implicated in cancer and kidney disease.

I since went whole food plant based no oil salt and sugar and had no more gall bladder attacks and lost 30 lbs so far. I have had a general improvement in health (low BP and no longer prediabetic despite loads of fruit) and this time, my eating plan is sustainable. Beware of these fad diets going around.

There is no scientific evidence as to the safety of low carb diets
There is

High-ish protein has been implicated in cancer and kidney disease.
A keto diet isnt hight protein diet, it's actually a hight fat diet, but what you say is totally right eating to much protein can be bad for health. Actually eating too much protein and protein supplement like whey can ruin a bit the ketosis since protein can spike your insulin.

It's a good reminder and I will try to keep my protein amount low.

You can find a lots of low carb fibre btw.

I'm sorry you had health problems.

OMG I've never felt so out of place in a thread on here!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Was it psychologically difficult to do all of that? Sorry if you said somewhere and I missed it.

It sounds like actual torture, though. I become irritable if I don't eat for three hours.

And no sugar!?!? :eek: I eat candy every day!

I suppose fasting can't be done when you're taking medications. :confused:

Are these diets common for autistic people? How are these kinds of diets done with sensitivity to taste? Or is it just the ones who don't have that doing it? Or do they just power through it?

Was it psychologically difficult to do all of that?

I won't lie my life is quite empty , so loosing weight and getting healthier is something I find usefull in order to get back on track, feeling better about myself and all, that's a problem I have because even if I wasnt strictly bullied at school I was picked on about my weight.

It tooks a pretty messed up turn at the start of unniversity I went so restrictive I end up having bulimia for a few months.

So I stopped any attempt to loose weight for years and I keep loosing self condifence, now I am getting my life back basically.

So it is important for me, but I totally understand that someone with a busier life would have a harder time trying a new diet, especialy with a family and kids.

Was it psychologically difficult to do all of that?

It's been not even a month so I wont say that the psychological struggle is over. Its far from over as I have still 7 kg to loose and the last ones are the hardest.

In addition, my relation to carbs ( so candies, bread , anything like that, pasta, chips blablabla) has always been unealthy, I have always eat to cope with my negative emotions, And I am sure I am not the only one in my family doing that, in addition, diabetes runs in my family (both side) , I have knee and ankle issues, I feel weaker and weaker every year...running with my few friends is a pain...

So I started to realize ( thanks to my mother telling me that everyday aswell) that If I didnt change my habits (like eating a bag of candy everyday or chips or 200g of rice) my life would become even more a mess in a few years, just because I eat too much. Especially carbs.

Starting from that, I promised myself that I wont bash myself If I eat a cake or a few chips at a party or even a beer, few times a month, because a years is 365 days even If I eat unhealthy sometimes it will still be 300 healthy days out of 365. The goal is to be healthy the majority of the time , not all the time, especially not at the cost of the few socials interractions I have.

In addiiton, I do some intermitent fasting, I dont know if I will do more than 24h hours , today I did 24h ( I am studying my finales) , but before doing 24h I started slowly by cutting my hours of eating almost one by one. I am eating 2 meals a day with a window of 8H eating 16H fasting most of the time.

And about the carbs,well I think reducing your global amount of carb is essential for an healthier life, because insulin spikes ( up and down) are parts of many many problems, it is still hard to prove but in addition of making you eat more ( this is a fact) , insulin may also amplify your negative feelings.

This is just acting like a drug in a way, you have a negative emotion and then eat to compensate but after the insulin is down you are hungry again and the emotions can come back. Not to mention that, except fiber ( with bread I guess) most carbs heavy food has no nutritionnal value, it just makes you fat.

How are these kinds of diets done with sensitivity to taste? Or is it just the ones who don't have that doing it? Or do they just power through it?

Now is is a part more personnal, I dont think this applies to everyeone, but I think something is wrong with me and carbs the way I digest it, Iv always felt tired after eating a meal containing carbs, maybe this is because i'v eat too much of it since childhood, but I have old memories of this aswell...

Anyway I had pain in the stomach, bloating, tiredness,cycle of diarhea and then constipation ...and even sometimes a low mood after a big meal with carbs.

Since I have cut all carb heavy food I dont feel any of that anymore, and still eat a lot( I mean I eat less but not to the point where I feel hungry, carbs make you more hungry).

I still eat food that I thought were the cause of my bloating and digestive issues, (greens ,cabbage and others),Everybody around me was telling me that, but I can eat a ton of it , it doesnt hurt my guts, so it was the only thing I did put away from my diet, "heavy carb food"

So I have made up my mind about it with all the health benefits , I dont realy feel like I am restricting my diet, even with intermitent fasting( I even do more sport now that I am not eating carbs like I used too.)

And I feel better about myself, I have lost slowly but surely (around 0.5 to 2 kg per week , ofc depending on the day I did eat carbs hehe)

I am back at the gym I feel less ugly and it will make easier for me to be at unni next semester, so its all good for me.

Carbs craving is a thing, but with time it reduces, even outside now I notice less the smell of bakery that used to make me want to eat, now its just a smell like any other.

sensitivity to taste

I started with a less "healthy" way my diet, I love cold cuts ,butter and all of that,dairy products etc... So instead of heating unhealthy food based on carbs I eat those, I reduced my consumption of cold cuts a lot now, but for a week it helped me starting this, and If I have to bring unhealthy food at a party , I will choose unhealthy food based on fat more than carbs.

And I know I have the chance to have no digestive issue with cheese, unlike many people on the spectrum, So I have still the opportunity to eat things I love.

Basically I am less of a picky eater than most of people on the spectrum.
The one food I should eat on a ketogenic diet is avocado but I HATE THEM, so I didnt try yet.

So I think that its obviosully more complicated for people who enjoy carbs only...this is not my case fortunatly.

But to be fair, with a good (homemade) sauce, everything is a better, and when you eat less foods in general taste better IMO.
Iv enjoyed eating broccoli o_O

I eat dark chocolate sometimes (90%; I dont think 100% of available in my area or even exist) , at first it tasted like crap I will be honest, BUT, today I'v eat one square of it and the very few amount of sugar exploded in my mouth like I was eating a candy xD

Maybe our sensitivity to taste can also be turned around in a positive manner, like if you realy reduce your amount of carb you may enjoy the sweetness of other low carbs products?

Are these diets common for autistic people?

Well our friend a few post earlier posted a link related to ketogenic diet and autism , it might reduce the expression of autistic traits, in my opinion this is related to insulin, but I am no expert, I just feel better now so that's good enought. And fat has been demonized for years but its actually usefull, if we dont eat bad fat or bad products ( like any other diet anyway)

Keep in mind that if you want to change your diet you need to talk about it a little to your doctor, to know if you dont have any specific problem
(but many doctor will just say keto is bad because its too much based on fat , this argument has been debunked many times, the problem with keto is that you need to eat fiber with greens , and you also need to check how well you digest other type of food, keeping protein at a normal level is also important.)

To be totally honest I also eat supplement for vitamins( but I dont take a full dosage, just half of it) because I dont eat fruit on this diet neither ;And I totally understand if you dont want to give up on fruit (just dont eat them at the end of a meal lol)

I suppose fasting can't be done when you're taking medications

Well I would say no, if you have a medication I guess this is a situation when you need to talk about it to your doctor, because many times medication needs to be taken with a meal in order to be properly "digested".

Basically fasting itself should be considered as a type of treatement, when done properly and very carefully.

You may have notice diet is a bit of a special interest for me.

And you also eat sometimes when you fast, I dont know, if you have one pill to take a day and eat one meal a day it will be close to 1day of fasting^^ But medication is often on multiples takes.

Overall, don't mind the ketogenic and IF stuff, it's not about following this strictly, but if you can eat less carbs and eat less often you will feel better that's for sure. And that's how I started. One babystep is still moving forward !

2 months ago I could eat a bag of candy on any frustration, and I did that all my life! But everything can change!

I don't eat very many carbs or eat very much at all. I don't like the taste of much of anything and don't enjoy the act of eating. People have seriously worried that I'm anorexic and I've had people try very hard to get me to eat more. I eat mostly healthy food since I don't like the taste anyway so might as well but I eat just enough to stave off hunger.

I am only eating one meal a day and it is doing good things for me in terms of weight loss, energy, and resetting my hormones (insulin & cortisol resistance.)

My keys to fasting are:

• water or green tea (St. Dalfour is my favorite brand, lots of good flavors)
  • fat (I brew the green tea and add a tablespoon of coconut oil)
  • salt (I like Pink Himalyan)
People with high percentages of either Neanderthal or gene pools close to the Arctic Circle or other regions with short growing seasons do the best with fatty meat and small amounts of plants, while those with genetics closer to the equator can have a different enzyme pattern which does better with more plant sources.

Another clue is if diabetes runs in the family: that is what they call a "Stone Age Pancreas" and would do better with more of an Atkins or Primal style of eating.

My idea of hardcore fasting is eating normally but waiting till 2 in the afternoon for some chocolate. :D

I've been on a ketogenic diet for a while now (bar two weeks over christmas) for various reasons and it has had a brilliant effect. However, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I think different people respond better or worse to different food and there isn't one perfect diet out there for every human. Some people find vegetarian or vegan diets help them, whereas they make me incredibly sick. Other people respond well to ketogenic or similar high fat/protein diets, whereas some people would feel a lot worse. If you find a diet that improves your health, then stick to it.

I've been on a ketogenic diet for a while now (bar two weeks over christmas) for various reasons and it has had a brilliant effect. However, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I think different people respond better or worse to different food and there isn't one perfect diet out there for every human. Some people find vegetarian or vegan diets help them, whereas they make me incredibly sick. Other people respond well to ketogenic or similar high fat/protein diets, whereas some people would feel a lot worse. If you find a diet that improves your health, then stick to it.

What effect has it had?

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes from stress a couple of years back as well as a bunch of other health issues that had just built up over time (my own fault) and after a few months of being on keto everything started to improve and has continued to do so ever since. The diabetes is now considered 'cured' according to my GP, although I'll always have to be careful (which is fine with me). My hair has grown back as it used to be (it was starting to fall out at one point), stomach ulcer has gone, skin looks great, metabolism is almost normal, I have more energy and focus, I've stopped feeling/being sick (which is an issue I had for years) and I look noticeably healthier.

We were born with our bodies consuming ketones as fuel, since that moment society and other influences have been steering us towards carb based foods for glucose/insulin as fuel. Ketones are always present in the body, just not plentiful when carbs >40g per day.

It might be true that newborns are existing on ketones ( citation please) because they will not have access to milk for a few days, colostrum being the initial produce from the breast, but soon the milk comes in and it is high in carbohydrate:

"the mean macronutrient composition of mature, term milk is estimated to be approximately 0.9 to 1.2 g/dL for protein, 3.2 to 3.6 g/dL for fat, and 6.7 to 7.8 g/dL for lactose. " Human Milk Composition: Nutrients and Bioactive Factors

So the initial adaptation to ketones in the newborn, is to keep the infant alive in the crisis period while it has to wait for its perfect food, which is 2 times the rate of carbs to fat which is a long way from ketogenic.

And this is what people are doing going keto - entering a state of crisis for which the body is not intented to live for more than short periods of time.

Apparently cortisol is increased during these times and this is not a state which you would want to live, unless you are a child having seizures, where it would be the least damaging senario compared with having brain damage. Raised cortisol increases the risk of cancer. It will be interested to hear how these keto gurus do long term, like when they get to old age. We do not have much information about this up till now and I am not about to make myself one of these experiments. That is apart from Eskimos who apparently do not live long lives.

The McDougall Newsletter

Last edited:
I've had several blood tests since changing to keto that checked various things and everything has improved (significantly). Obviously if that changed and the doctors highlighted a problem then I would take note. My cortisol levels were very high before I changed over, so perhaps for some people their starting level is so bad that a ketogenic diet is an improvement. Autoimmune disorders run in my family (where the body attacks itself in various ways), which may or may not make a difference. I can only go by my own experience and that of other people I know who have switched over. The 'healthy' diet that is recommended to most people would put me in hospital very quickly (and has done in the past), so I likely wouldn't reach old age for anyone to compare results. If the choice is a shorter but much healthier life compared to a very long but unhealthy life than I'll go with the first option.

There is another choice - that is the whole food plant based no oil sugar or salt. I have met a number doing it like me who were on a very low carbo diet to start with. It went well at first then I ran into problems and very much regret doing it as it made me insulin resistance and gave me gall stones.

New Threads

Top Bottom