• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My experience playing on vatsim in mfs2020

Turbocks

One of my favourite things to do during my free time currently is to go on mfs2020 and practice flights with the a32nx a320 neo. I fly the plane fairly often especially when practicing landings which I am not the best at but I am more than willing to learn from all my failed landing attempts and I watch many tutorials and videos regarding this simulator and it's various mods like the a32nx but especially landings and takeoff procedures.

As for vatsim I have already watched plenty of videos covering the topic of atc communication and I already know some of the essential atc lingo at this point like "Roger" "Wilco" and basic instructions like "set heading/altitude/speed to etc etc" reading back instructions is something I am capable of doing but sometimes it just takes time for my aspie brain to register that and other times I have to ask for atc to repeat instructions in case I miss something which does happen.

A couple of days ago I was flying on approach to Kastrup airport from Gothenburg airport and a calm english speaking atc with a danish accent proceeded to help me on my approach and initially I wasn't doing too bad and I was complying with instructions and repeating them sometimes in voice form and other times in vpilot chat because my simulator was acting up and I had big problems reading back instructions by voicechat.

I remember doing something silly where I mixed up the speed indicator knob with the altitude indicator knob for some stupid reason and atc literally told me this "I don't care about your speed I want you to descend to 2000 feet" and I explained to him that I mixed them up and he was ok with that.

Where I messed up was on my approach close to the airport ,for some reason I had trouble descending to 1000 feet as instructed and instead it started to increase the climb even though I had set it to descend and to make things worse I had pulled back on the flaps and I was about to crash but I recovered and that was the breaking point for the poor atc and he told me that I should not be on vatsim if I can't follow instructions or fly the plane properly even though I had been on the network before and was able to comply with instructions and I told him goodbye and disconnected.

And sometimes I just get really worked up over the plane not doing what I want it do or it doing something I did not expect which causes me to frequently swear loudly and that one time I nearly crashed into a block of apartments I was so shocked I yelled "jesus f***" over the mic and he quickly reminded me that swearing is not allowed on vatsim and I promptly apologised.

Am I the only one here who has had a similar experience in this flight simulator and on vatsim?

Last edited:
Practice offline or in not vatsim servers until you are confident flying i say, i wish i could get FS2020 but my pc can't handle it for sure, i played FSX even online before, it was nice.

Is it free? I love flight simulators.
well it's a pretty expensive game but well worth it as long as you have the hardware for it and be aware it can get rather expensive if you want the most out of the game and I am talking mid to high end graphics card like the rtx 2060-2080 and the latest 3090 graphics card,in terms of processors getting one of the newest amd processors or intel processors is a must because this is a processor heavy game. There are also plenty of addons both paid and free but it can get rather expensive as well if you like buying addons for the simulator

I saw videos, it seems FS2020 is awesome.

I HAVE SCREENSHOTS

20201027114415_1.jpg

20201021095329_1.jpg

20201021094452_1.jpg

20201027114117_1.jpg

Gorgeous thing, really.

Unfortunately I dont have much else to contribute here. I only started on this stuff recently.

My best accomplishment so far is learning how to land, but all wobbly. Good thing there's about a zillion tutorials to learn this stuff.

Though I havent played in awhile, as the thing had experienced quite a few bugs early on so I held off for awhile, and then my flightstick & related gizmos were boxed up for awhile before the house move. Gonna get it out today, finally.

And yes, you need some darned good hardware for this one. I've got a monster rig here, so it all runs fine for me. Though I dont have one of those super high-res monitors so the resolution is kinda capped. I'm a bit nearsighted, I wont notice the difference beyond a certain point, so heck with it, yeah?

What really impresses me though are those people who create like a full cockpit setup for the simulator stuff. Those are darned neat. Looks like a lot of effort though. Effort is the enemy.

I HAVE SCREENSHOTS

View attachment 69750

View attachment 69751

View attachment 69752

View attachment 69753

Gorgeous thing, really.

Unfortunately I dont have much else to contribute here. I only started on this stuff recently.

My best accomplishment so far is learning how to land, but all wobbly. Good thing there's about a zillion tutorials to learn this stuff.

Though I havent played in awhile, as the thing had experienced quite a few bugs early on so I held off for awhile, and then my flightstick & related gizmos were boxed up for awhile before the house move. Gonna get it out today, finally.

And yes, you need some darned good hardware for this one. I've got a monster rig here, so it all runs fine for me. Though I dont have one of those super high-res monitors so the resolution is kinda capped. I'm a bit nearsighted, I wont notice the difference beyond a certain point, so heck with it, yeah?

What really impresses me though are those people who create like a full cockpit setup for the simulator stuff. Those are darned neat. Looks like a lot of effort though. Effort is the enemy.

Yeah, it looks great from what ive seen so far, and how are the 'physics'? are they good, FSX had some issues sometimes.

Yeah, it looks great from what ive seen so far, and how are the 'physics'? are they good, FSX had some issues sometimes.

Yeah, the physics are good.

It's REALLY high-end stuff... the whole product. Though it did have some really screwy bugs early on.

It also though is really freaking expensive, for those who are really into it. It's not just the sort of rig you need: it's also the fact of having to buy planes/whatnot from the marketplace. These fully simulated planes and airports and whatnot are HORRIBLY complicated and difficult to make, so getting a truly, fully simulated plane in there usually requires that you buy it, and they are often made by third parties that specialize in this (because there's no way in heck that the main devs could conceivably do this all themselves when they already have the main program to deal with).

The more complex the plane, the more it's gonna cost. Just looking at the marketplace here, I spot one, the Bombardier CRJ550, which costs $50 just by itself. But then, it's an enormous airliner filled with hideously complicated gizmos.

So yeah, there's that to consider. The planes that come with the game are often sorta... missing some bits. Like, there's a big airliner that does come with it, but I was watching a particular Youtuber talk about it... someone who is an actual pilot... and he was pointing out how there were indeed things missing, for instance a lot of the stuff related to those... uh... I dont know what you call them, the console computer things with the screens (seriously I'm totally new to all this), and he mentioned that quite a few of their functions werent fully emulated or were just not there. And how some other aspects just arent QUITE accurate. And even at the time, he pointed out that 3rd parties were likely to do a "full" version of that plane and then sell it.

Granted, I realize I may be sorta talking obvious stuff here, decent chance you already know this sort of stuff if other flightsims do it as well, I dunno.

New Threads

Top Bottom