• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My drawings through the years

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I have drawn on and off throughout my life. I tend to be hard on myself due to comparing myself to others and I have trouble holding pencils due to carpal tunnel as well as aspie-motor problems but I’ve been getting some thumbs up from friends so I am getting more confident in what I am doing.

First, my older stuff. This is Impy, a character of my own:
seOdPZg.jpeg

This is a Lupo the Butcher-like character I created in an art class only doing vertical lines:
VbYGbir.jpeg

Impy again along with another original character, Grife, in a Ren and Stimpy like pose:
c5yTGhh.jpeg

I forgot what the technique I did for this is called but it resulted in something zany:
UxnoZPx.jpeg

Kittens:
cs728QI.jpeg

Meant to be a self-portrait of my younger self, especially before my hairline receded:
I7y1Zq3.jpg

Grife and Impy again, sitting on a couch like Beavis and Butthead:
zjELRdP.jpeg

Now, for some things more recent.

Nanachi from Made in Abyss. I am working on a newer drawing of the character, though:
9KON1q1.jpeg

A drawing of X from Mega Man X in progress:
LdW19mU.jpeg

Last edited:
Two things I had forgotten that I’ve drawn.

Original Venom-like monster (incomplete):
131226883_4155808354435138_2151161796619851224_o.jpg

The Brand of Sacrifice from Berserk:
131319711_4155808384435135_1325018322569931743_o.jpg

I decided to finish sketching out X:
130569956_4157994747549832_269450294192607789_o.jpg

I thinking about coloring him in. Anyone got recommendations on coloring pencils or such?

4C6DC2E0-DFC1-400B-879A-EF0BF017DB05.jpeg
Full body drawing of Nanachi in progress. It’s taking much longer than I thought it would to complete it.

I know beggers can’t be choosers but I would appreciate some comments.

3609D490-5098-4579-AC20-8970BC0F1E9A.jpeg
Experimenting with color for the first time in years. I wanted to create something similar to the Doom 64 version of the Pain Elemental. I also see it as a cousin to Impy’s species. I might change the design later on but hopefully it looks ok.

Last edited:
View attachment 65582
I decided to go ahead and finish the sketching. I might color her in.

Any comments?
Character has such a cute face. I really like the eyes. And anatomy is very styliised in anime. I’d recommend that you do Color her in but also attempt shading. It helps to pop the dimensions out and the interplay with light and shadows to make it look less flat.

Character has such a cute face. I really like the eyes. And anatomy is very styliised in anime. I’d recommend that you do Color her in but also attempt shading. It helps to pop the dimensions out and the interplay with light and shadows to make it look less flat.

Advice on how to do shading, especially with colors? I have a blending stump to use for charcoal pencils but will it work for mechanical pencils and colored pencils?

Last edited:
Advice on how to do shading, especially with colors? I have a blending stump to use for charcoal pencils but will it work for mechanical pencils and colored pencils?

Here:

this explains way better than I could. I also find video tutorials to be more helpful. I’d also recommend checking out her other tutorials.

Well, you asked for comments, so here you go. First, I'm really not into fantasy, sci fi and comic book art. So it's not really my genre. Second some of your designs are nice. But they don't have a finished quality. You might try writing some captions, and then you can publish these as single-cel cartoons. Also, adding a little background will make them seem more "ready for prime time." It doesn't have to be a lot of background, maybe a couple of stylized images and some texture.

But I don't think you should give up. Instead, I think you should up your game by taking what you have and going further towards a finished product.

Here:

this explains way better than I could. I also find video tutorials to be more helpful. I’d also recommend checking out her other tutorials.

Hmmmm, still not quite getting it. I have drawn over the lines in my X drawing with a black colored pencil. Does it look less flat?

D205096B-9307-469E-8906-35F3C10D3D8D.jpeg

Well, you asked for comments, so here you go. First, I'm really not into fantasy, sci fi and comic book art. So it's not really my genre. Second some of your designs are nice. But they don't have a finished quality. You might try writing some captions, and then you can publish these as single-cel cartoons. Also, adding a little background will make them seem more "ready for prime time." It doesn't have to be a lot of background, maybe a couple of stylized images and some texture.

But I don't think you should give up. Instead, I think you should up your game by taking what you have and going further towards a finished product.

That’ll take some time since I am still rusty but I’ll consider it if I figure out how to do it.

Hmmmm, still not quite getting it. I have drawn over the lines in my X drawing with a black colored pencil. Does it look less flat?

View attachment 65597

did you watch the video? Because I feel like she explained shadowing and highlights with colored pencils way better than I will be...

However yes Black gives outline, and that’s what’s happened with the art that you just shared. It just makes it look cleaner, and it does pop out. It feels finished. But you should try giving highlights and shading a go if you want to upgrade your skills.

My awful attempt at explaining:
if you’re coloring with colored pencils It’s about applying various pressureS on the color pencil and spanning it out, depending what effect that you are after.

Last edited:
I guess I have to conclude that I am not good at drawing at all. Recently, someone said everything I did looked “derpy” and that has set my already low confidence even further back. They also expressed shock that I find blending daunting.

I guess I have to conclude that I am not good at drawing at all. Recently, someone said everything I did looked “derpy” and that has set my already low confidence even further back. They also expressed shock that I find blending daunting.
Another way to look at it: in the world of dogs, ”derpy” is one of the best compliments you can give. I am NOT calling you a dog, but are you sure derpy is a negative thing?

And by the way, that January 11th drawing is pretty fantastic.

New Threads

Top Bottom