• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Must watch! Fantastic support for those of us on the spectrum.

Aspieistj

My NT son sent me this URL because he knows I am a musician and also an Aspie. This man is a real spokesperson for those of us who are different. I don't "see" sounds and music but I do appreciate him as a person who is different from NTs and who can explain to them in a nonthreatening manner what it is like to see the world differently. Here is the URL:

And here is what my NT son says about him:

This is really quite interesting although I'm not autistic. (Some may vociferously disagree!) For me, music is all about MATH. A 1-8 numbered system with definitive "rules", aka theory. I do see patterns all over the fretboard, much like the diagram when this gentleman plays a C scale. But to actually choose where to go or what to play...It's all math to me.

Wee need more ambassadors like this man. I hope this comes to you with a useful URL. If not, I will have to resubmit.

-
Nancy, near Syracuse in New York's Finger Lakes

When I was learning to play the guitar, I learned the chords in a very similar way to how he describes.

Great video - I can relate to a lot of it. I have quite a visual and pattern based understanding of music which made me kind of develop and understanding of music theory without even studying it, although it's not quite the same as his and I struggle to explain it using words.. I find I can also process music inside my head in multiple layers simultaneously when working out arrangements and instrumentation. I can effectively "hear" a complete arrangement inside my own head, although I do sometimes have a hard time translating my imaginary arrangements into real music.

New Threads

Top Bottom