• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Musically Talented Aspies

I should point out that Gladwell's point in Outliers has not been supported by the scientific evidence - Practice Not As Important As Believed For Success | Popular Science

Thanks for pointing that out. Even though I referenced it, I'm not a supporter of Gladwell's argument or point in Outliers, and I said so on the Facebook thread where I commented. Especially where music is concerned. Here, I just wanted to point out that being well-rehearsed is a virtue as well!

As far as I'm concerned, being a good songwriter or composer (being Mozart as opposed to a Salieri--not in real life, but like they were portrayed in Amadeus) is downright freakish.

I'd say I'm "modestly talented". I can learn just about any instrument, but I'm never going to be the best at it, no matter how hard I work at it.

My most favorite part about high school was being in marching band. I played trumpet and absolutely loved being on the field. I loved knowing what I was supposed to do...working together as a team where everyone else knew what they were supposed to do...and we all tried to do well at it. I played trumpet again in a church orchestra for a few years as an adult many many years after leaving high school, and recently I've started learning the guitar.

I've got music playing just about any time I can get away with it. Sometimes it's too distracting when I'm working, but usually it helps keep my energy up. I can't stand synthesized instruments/music...so even though I can play piano, I avoid the keyboard if it sounds too synthesized. That said, the lyrics have to hold special significance for me, so I'd rather listen to well-done synthesized music with good lyrics than purely organic music with destructive lyrics. Most mainstream music is too caustic/destructive/immoral for my tastes. Call me a prude if you want, lol, but I really prefer certain Christian groups. Right now, Tenth Avenue North, Sanctus Real, and Shawn McDonald are some of my favorites with a few other songs that I listen to over and over and over (Jason Gray's "Remind me who I am", Matthew West's "More" and "The story of your life", and Brandon Heath's "Love never fails").

In high school, I really liked alternative groups. They Might Be Giants was a favorite, and a little B-52's. It wasn't so much the sound as something that took on significance for me. The movie Flashback (Keifer Sutherland and Dennis Hopper) meant a lot to me, and one of the songs on that track, "It's the End of the World as We Know It" (R.E.M.), came to have almost prophetic significance to me. Then I also like folksy?-type music, purely for the sound...Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz...but only certain of their songs.

New Threads

Top Bottom