• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mum demands school BANS Sleeping Beauty because she 'didn't consent to being kissed'

Hope she never stumbles across the old German Strumpel Peter... :D

17o1sjjz5xfjrjpg.jpg

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5913747/the...demented-german-childrens-book-ever-published

Oh, I had a book with that one and other tales that were equally awful, and I don't think it either induced nightmares or made me into a criminal.
Good job quoting that one, I hadn't thought of it!

I think she means well, but completely banning the book, even if only for a specific age group, is going too far. I agree with the others before me who pointed out that he kissed her to save her from eternal sleep, so essentially he saved her life.

The fact that it is romanticized might be considered problematic I'll admit, but overall I don't think the story is all that bad. Then again, I might be a bit biased because whenever I hear of someone trying to ban a classic fairytale like this, my automatic reaction is "no."

Political correctness gone mad, the girl was ASLEEP for chuff sake, how was she supposed to consent to being given a kiss?

Sorry but this woman seriously needs to get a grip IMO, I bet she kisses her kids goodnight when they're asleep? Or is that not acceptable either?

I was originally going to put this in the "Things that make you laugh" because I found this absurdly amusing in my own point of view, but decided to post it here to see what you guys thought.

Personally, I think its stupid that this mother is taking such a message away from this nowadays. When I was a kid reading this, the idea of 'he didn't ask her for consent before he kissed her' never crossed my mind and has never crossed my mind until now. For starters, how the heck would he get consent from her when she's been bewitched to sleep forever?!

Does this mother do the same for other children's fairytales?
For example, in her mindset Goldilocks and the Three Bears should be banned because she broke into someone else's house, stole their food, vandalised their property and I guess you could say she was squatting as well by sleeping in someone else's bed.
Jack and the Beanstalk should also be banned because Jack forgot about not taking things from strangers, not carrying out a risk assessment and/or using proper climbing equipment before climbing the beanstalk and stealing from others.

Would she also ban children's songs as well, like banning Ring a Ring a Roses because it talks about people dying of the Black Death/Bubonic Plague or Jack and Jill because Jack, Jill or their parents didn't file a claim for compensation for Jack injuring himself when he fell down the hill?
It reminds me a lot of when Harry Potter was banned in many American schools because people were worried that it would turn readers towards Wicca (among other things) although JK Rowling herself is a Christian and said parents are fine with pupils reading Romeo and Juliet - which features people getting injured/murdered in family feuds and teenagers committing suicide, and Macbeth - which also features witches and murder.

At the end of the day, School is there to educate you in the lessons you need for passing your exams, getting good grades and sending you on your way to further education and work. Parents, on the other hand, are responsible for raising you and that includes instilling morals and restrictions, like not making fun of others for any reason, trying your best and having fun even if you don't win, etc.
I think its another example of Political Correctness trying to take over where its influence doesn't need to be.
danm, well said.

Most old fairy tales a creepy if you think about them properly, reading Grimms fairytales as a child gave me nightmares. Is this reason to ban them? No. WTF. If this woman thinks it raises issues of consent (which I can understand from one perspective, kissing someone in their sleep without prior consent isn't ok and kids need to understand that, but it's the pnly way to wake her up and it's a fairytale ffs), then use it as a teaching opportunity to discuss the importance of consent. Why take issue with this and not the utterly shallow and ridiculous idea of so called 'love' these stories portray? And if you want to take such things seriously Beauty and the Beast raises way more issues.

I'm pretty sure that if society went back and systematically micromanaged all fairy tales and fables written long ago that most of them would be deemed unacceptable by "today's standards".

Kind of like submitting the Constitution of the United States as a petition just to see how many of the "average joes" on the street would likely turn it down as being seditious. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with her. Society is circling the toilet bowl and it's because of filth like Snow White. Yes, Snow White is what's wrong with the world.

I totally agree with her. Society is circling the toilet bowl and it's because of filth like Snow White. Yes, Snow White is what's wrong with the world.

Are you having a laugh?! Snow White and the 7 vertically challenged Miners was a classic, and you're complaining about it? Get a grip please.

New Threads

Top Bottom