• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

More bad media coverage

Dirtdigger

V.I.P Member
I hate it when the news post about Autistic people being murderers and violent.

Fishers murder suspect had history of setting fires | WISH-TV

CBS News Should Retract Report Excusing Mother’s Murder of Autistic Child | Mediaite

This Maxwell Winkler may have Autism but there is something else going on in his head besides Autism. Sure don't have to be Autistic to murder someone either because most murderers aren't Autistic.

I did some research on Autism and this is what I found and posted on You Tube because the guy in the video was so misinformed.

"Neurodevelopmental Disorders are very similar to severe Autism with many of the same symptoms. This man either have this disorder or severe Autism and it is more common than you think among those with ASD. In fact neurodevelopmental Disorders are mistaken for severe Autism. So this clown that is speaking in the video needs to get his hands on a Diagnostics and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) and get educated."

Last edited:
My mom was telling me about another autistic kid was murdered by his mom by getting chunked off a bridge. I can understand how both felt compelled to kill them. When I was expecting, I was heavily pushed to do a dangerous down-syndrome test on the baby before he was born, so I could make an "educated decision" on whether to kill him now while I legally could or not, if the test didn't do so in the process. When I told them no I was actually given a long lecture on how if he's retarded I should kill him now because he'd be such an unbearable burden later. So I reckon if those mothers were the brainless, impressionable type, they'd probably just think it was still okay to off their kids since they were already told once it was socially acceptable to do so if they were abnormal anyway.

I don't doubt some of us are violent or murderers, hell I've certainly got a demon side, but I agree it shouldn't be presented we're all that way. First autistic guy I ever met was the biggest sweetheart you'd ever meet. I think his mom told me that he liked to catch flies in the house and release them outside because he didn't the idea of them being swatted. We're the same as anybody else, some of us grumpy, some of us chipper, and like everybody else we don't like our Brussels sprouts. :D

I haven't yet had time to read this, but right off the cuff, the fire starting thing isn't indicative of autism. Fire starting is one of the three precursors used to determine whether someone may become psychopathic. It's called the homicidal triad, and it's fire starting, bed wetting and cruelty to animals. If a kid has these three indicators, there's a high probability that he/she will be a violent, aggressive, anti-social adult exhibiting sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies and may be capable of murder.

[Edit] Okay, I'm reading it now, and a classmate disclosed in the comments that this kid actually set his cat on fire. That explains it. He's a psychopath. He may be autistic as well, but it's the psycho that did the killing. The media needs to learn something about psychology, or at least have an expert on hand to explain the details before confusing the issue for the public.

[Edit] Here's a nice quote from the comments (nice job news reporters!): "parents in fishers should demand all children ever arrested be immediately kicked out of school there. also all autistic kids be kicked out of the county" This is just the kind of fear that the media loves to instill in low-information people. Instead of reporting scientific facts, the media prefers to be vague and set groups of people against one another. Better watch ourselves, we autistic types may be the new "witches" of Salem if the media has it's way.

Last edited:
That would just make us more like Marvel's mutants than we already are, Cali. Would it really surprise you?

Until I turn blue and get a tail I will be too disappointed to ever identify as a mutant. :p

Now I'm going to go look up how bedwetting of all things is an indication of an unsound mind... The other two make sense, but bedwetting?? I'd sooner say some nerves weren't properly hooked up to the spine than in the brain.

The other two make sense, but bedwetting??

I should point out, because I didn't make it clear above, the bedwetting continues way beyond what is typical for children. I can't remember exactly; I think it has something to do with a deep subconscious inability to control impulses. A friend of mine has a nephew who wetted the bed occasionally until he was near his teens. He also started fires sometimes, and he wasn't exactly nice to the family dog. We worried about him for sure. Thankfully, he seems not to have turned out to be psychopathic, but I think it depends on the degree to which these indicators manifest, and it wasn't a frequent thing for him.

I should point out, because I didn't make it clear above, the bedwetting continues way beyond what is typical for children. I can't remember exactly; I think it has something to do with a deep subconscious inability to control impulses. A friend of mine has a nephew who wetted the bed occasionally until he was near his teens. He also started fires sometimes, and he wasn't exactly nice to the family dog. We worried about him for sure. Thankfully, he seems not to have turned out to be psychopathic, but I think it depends on the degree to which these indicators manifest, and it wasn't a frequent thing for him.
Aye, I figured it was meant for those who continue past toddlers and the occasional accidents there on out. That is a mite concerning... I guess my next search should more specifically be what kind of bedwetting, those who sleep so deeply they don't even sleep walk to the bathroom (as was explained by one poor nurse I once knew that I badgered with strange questions) or those who sleep normally but somehow choose to ignore it.

Aye, I figured it was meant for those who continue past toddlers and the occasional accidents there on out. That is a mite concerning... I guess my next search should more specifically be what kind of bedwetting, those who sleep so deeply they don't even sleep walk to the bathroom (as was explained by one poor nurse I once knew that I badgered with strange questions) or those who sleep normally but somehow choose to ignore it.

That's interesting. I did once have a g/f with an eight-year old daughter who would frequently sleepwalk attempting to get to the bathroom. Looking back I can't help but wonder if she was on the spectrum, but not based on that itself.

Sleepwalking...a strange thing to witness...

That's interesting. I did once have a g/f with an eight-year old daughter who would frequently sleepwalk attempting to get to the bathroom. Looking back I can't help but wonder if she was on the spectrum, but not based on that itself.

Sleepwalking...a strange thing to witness...
And great fodder for parents to use on unsuspecting potential friends of their children! For every guy I've met, I think I've heard of at least one tale of them taking a leak on the porch or front door during a midnight adventure.

And great fodder for parents to use on unsuspecting potential friends of their children! For every guy I've met, I think I've heard of at least one tale of them taking a leak on the porch or front door during a midnight adventure.

LOL...well the porch would have been preferable to finding them standing in the middle of a carpeted living room with their pajamas around their ankles and a blank stare!

Until I turn blue and get a tail I will be too disappointed to ever identify as a mutant. :p

Now I'm going to go look up how bedwetting of all things is an indication of an unsound mind... The other two make sense, but bedwetting?? I'd sooner say some nerves weren't properly hooked up to the spine than in the brain.
I don't agree with the statement bedwetting is maybe a unsound mind. I've been a bedwetter for a long time and have survived.

I wet the bed until I was about 9 years old, in my case it was just because I was such a heavy sleeper. I can still remember when I started having dreams that I was doing a wee, and then realising that if I didn't get up quick the dream would become real.

As for wether or not my mind is sound - the jury is still deliberating.

I wet the bed until I was about 9 years old, in my case it was just because I was such a heavy sleeper. I can still remember when I started having dreams that I was doing a wee, and then realising that if I didn't get up quick the dream would become real.

As for wether or not my mind is sound - the jury is still deliberating.
OK for now.

New Threads

Top Bottom