• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misreading social signals

tarview

V.I.P Member
I just thought of something that I do that is very likely related to Asperger's and thought I'd share it and see if this fits anyone else.

Part of my "normal" face is "social reflexes" - attempting to read social cues and respond to them appropriately, even if I don't understand them. For instance, if someone walks up to me with a right hand extended and held vertically, I know that means that person wants to shake hands, so I extend my right hand in the same manner and smile. When they grip my hand, I feel myself wince a bit because I'm never prepared for the squeeze and then I awkwardly attempt to fit my hand properly within theirs so I can squeeze too. It's all very awkward and uncomfortable, but I do it because that's what people do. This isn't the reason for the post, though.

Something I just now realized that I do that's related to Asperger's is that when someone is telling a story in a very animated way, they will typically act out the parts of all the people involved. For instance, if they want to tell me about the time they met the governor, they will act out their part of the conversation as well as the governor's. Here's where the awkwardness hits.

When they act out the governor's part, they might walk up to me with their right hand extended and held vertically. They will smile as they believe the governor did. And they will say what they believe the governor said. That's when I get confused about whether or not I should respond. My social reflex seems to think I should, but then I think, "That's stupid. I already know this person. I'm not going to shake hands as if we'd never met. That would be a social faux pas...right?" But then, when the person just stands there with their hand out, I feel like they really want me to take it. But I'm not certain about that. If I were telling the story, I'd say, "Take my hand" so the other person would know what to do. But they don't because they expect me to know the cues and respond appropriately.

So what happens from the objective perspective is I half-smile, stick my hand out, then pull it back as the smile fades and I try to return to my "yes-I'm-listening-to-your-story" face even though my mind is darting through all these thoughts.

Now, of course, this is just one example. There are other similar situations, but this is the one that came to mind, so I thought I'd share and see what everyone else thinks.

If someone is playing pretend, I'll tend to play along, even knowing I go off-script more often than I should.

I wouldn't feel weird about that. Some people overdramatize conversations IMO that are unnecessary. If the above scenario happened and they wanted me to shake their hand "as the governor" I would normally just say "that's ok, I don't need to, just continue on with the story." The only reason I would shake hands with the person is if they told me the reason for the story was the handshake. I wouldn't feel like you missed a cue and did the wrong thing. You may not believe it, but for most NT conversations there are no "cues" to catch and if there is, NT's mess up just as often.

I feel extremely uncomfortable when this happens, too. I never know what to do, and so just sit or stand there awkwardly as nobody ever says "take my hand", which displeases me greatly. I've never thought twice about it before, but I suppose it does bother me quite a bit when those kind of situations come about.

New Threads

Top Bottom