• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misdiagnosis is common in Adults?

As I said before, I'll repeat it. ASD is actually diagnosed only by its symptoms and so the right diagnosis whether someone is on spectrum or not sometimes can't be correctly made. Especially because in milder ASD symptoms might imitate personality traits. There isn't any blood test or another research to officially confirm diagnosis. Such as for example pathohistological review for confirming what seems to be cancer or imaging, or COVID test in patients whose symptoms look like COVID.

How can we say if a person normal on first sight, but with a bit strange social interaction and interests is ASD or just a bit different? Not all NTs are the same.
I would return the old diagnostic criteria where speech delay was needed for diagnosis because this is a clear sign something is wrong.

I would return the old diagnostic criteria where speech delay was needed for diagnosis because this is a clear sign something is wrong.
No! I hate this "over diagnosis" canard! all it is, is an attempt to maintain the narrative that Autism is a horrible thing that needs to be destroyed! In the past, when we said we're okay with, and like being Autistic, they told themselves that we're just telling ourselves that to cope with the "horror" of being Autistic; now, as it's becoming painfully obvious that we actually do like being Autistic, they're resorting to saying we're not really Autistic because we do too well and are too happy with being Autistic.

People need to know who they are and what their strengths and weaknesses are if they, and society are going to flourish; not to mention Level-1 Autism still has negative aspects they need to be mitigated, like executive functioning, which few people talk about, curiously not even Autism-haters seem to talk about this despite their efforts to demonize Autism.

It wouldn't even work anyway, as I've mentioned on a previous thread on here, I actually have, and plan on printing out more, Autism tests and the like so that, if the powers-that-should-not-be ever do redefine Autism as Level-2 or 3 Autism; I'll just diagnose my own kids myself so that they'll knew who they are, even if the authorities try to hide it from them.

Someone maybe likes being autistic, but I feel my self-diagnosis of ASD level 1 has made my life worse. In fact, trying to "correct" autistic behaviour in social interactions has just made them even worse. It would be much easier for me if I didn't self diagnost myself and in those old criteria I wouldn't fit as ASD

Someone maybe likes being autistic, but I feel my self-diagnosis of ASD level 1 has made my life worse. In fact, trying to "correct" autistic behaviour in social interactions has just made them even worse. It would be much easier for me if I didn't self diagnost myself and in those old criteria I wouldn't fit as ASD
It sounds to me like you have target fixation, you're focusing on the negative social traits of being Autistic rather than taking a step back and looking at the whole thing. Do you really think ignorance of who you are was the only thing moving you forward, you know who you are, and how you work, you now just need to focus making the best version of yourself.

In regards to "old criteria," what do you mean by that? Do you mean back when you would've been diagnosed with Aspergers? Or even before that? There is much more to this than most people understand:
ASD is actually diagnosed only by its symptoms and so the right diagnosis whether someone is on spectrum or not sometimes can't be correctly made. Especially because in milder ASD symptoms might imitate personality traits. There isn't any blood test or another research to officially confirm diagnosis.
There is actually a lot evidence that Level-1 Autism is much more than "personality traits," there's plenty of genetic and neurological evidence to show that Level-1 Autism exists. For example, one of the reasons (I'd argue the main reason) why we don't use "Aspergers" anymore is because what was once considered to be Aspergers is shown to be two completely different neurological conditions, (and I personally suspect that there's probably more) two different divergencies in how the brain in structured in what was once known as Aspergers.

@Neonatal RRT can go into more details on all of this.

No! I hate this "over diagnosis" canard! all it is, is an attempt to maintain the narrative that Autism is a horrible thing that needs to be destroyed! In the past, when we said we're okay with, and like being Autistic, they told themselves that we're just telling ourselves that to cope with the "horror" of being Autistic; now, as it's becoming painfully obvious that we actually do like being Autistic, they're resorting to saying we're not really Autistic because we do too well and are too happy with being Autistic.

People need to know who they are and what their strengths and weaknesses are if they, and society are going to flourish; not to mention Level-1 Autism still has negative aspects they need to be mitigated, like executive functioning, which few people talk about, curiously not even Autism-haters seem to talk about this despite their efforts to demonize Autism.

It wouldn't even work anyway, as I've mentioned on a previous thread on here, I actually have, and plan on printing out more, Autism tests and the like so that, if the powers-that-should-not-be ever do redefine Autism as Level-2 or 3 Autism; I'll just diagnose my own kids myself so that they'll knew who they are, even if the authorities try to hide it from them.

I actually think you're onto something here.

The mainstream view seems to be that autism is some kind of mutant virus, but sometimes I can't help but wonder if autism is just a human evolution that could soon overtake neurotypicality instead. 'Over-diagnosis' could eventually be the technically-correct reality of the situation after all - that we're more keen to the signs of autism, and we're potentially evolving to become an autistic world one day.

I actually think you're onto something here.

The mainstream view seems to be that autism is some kind of mutant virus, but sometimes I can't help but wonder if autism is just a human evolution that could soon overtake neurotypicality instead. 'Over-diagnosis' could eventually be the technically-correct reality of the situation after all - that we're more keen to the signs of autism, and we're potentially evolving to become an autistic world one day.
Yes, people with ASD could actually make a new spieces if there happens reproductive isolation, so that we mate with other people on spectrum only and not with NTs. However, this process takes thousands of years. Just like we, Homo Sapiens developed from Homo Erectus that lived in caves.

As I said before, I'll repeat it. ASD is actually diagnosed only by its symptoms and so the right diagnosis whether someone is on spectrum or not sometimes can't be correctly made. Especially because in milder ASD symptoms might imitate personality traits. There isn't any blood test or another research to officially confirm diagnosis. Such as for example pathohistological review for confirming what seems to be cancer or imaging, or COVID test in patients whose symptoms look like COVID.

How can we say if a person normal on first sight, but with a bit strange social interaction and interests is ASD or just a bit different? Not all NTs are the same.

Thanks for the info. What would you say about speech discomfort? OK so if I speak how I really want to nt people, its flat and monotone. When I speak in public, my tongue is lodged up in my freakin' throat. Its a very stifled unsteady, unnatural, often too soft or too loud pattern. And I'm asking all this stuff because I spent decades afraid to ask for help. I can't think you guys enough for the honest straight forward info.

So I just replied to an email from my local regional center stating I had to have had suspicion or been diagnosed before age 18. Suspicion up and down, yes, but because my parent didn't seek an official diagnosis, I have to miss out?! Did I miss something? I couldn't even complete the form based on suspicion. I don't know, man. Seems like an obstacle every 2 seconds

One of those days, people. A good day but heightened and aroused sensory-wise. Can't concentrate, stimming like crazy. I can't ever think of what to write. I get an evaluation in 2023 so hopefully I'll get some answers.

New Threads

Top Bottom