• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Minor Moral Connundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Many developed societies recognize the concept of rate of return regulation through adjudication and government regulation to varying degrees. Which seems to me to reflect a societal acknowledgment that determining rates of return runs contrary to claims that profits are inherently immoral or a form of theft.

Of course how effective such regulation is enforced may be another matter. Disproportionate capital accumulation continues to be an issue. Though it still doesn't negate the right to some kind of profit.

Honestly I'd have done nothing whatsoever. There is always the chance that said guy *needs* that food, but there's also a chance of danger... not just for you, but for the employees. And I guarantee you, that guy stealing something aint gonna matter to the actual employees (unless said employee is literally security, then it does matter, of course).

Heck, I remember working for Toys R Us many years ago (one of the good ones, lovely place, as you might expect) and there was a situation where this guy was in there, CLEARLY shoplifting. And he wasnt just taking any old thing, no. He was taking "difficult" products... you know, the ones that are in funky "packaging" meant to secure the product until the cashier could scan it and then take it off for you.

We were all warned about this guy at the same time once he was noticed, but were explicitly told NOT to engage. If he comes near? Get away, dont engage. Engaging could be very dangerous, dont dare do it, they said. Just watch, and calmly report if you spot him, so we can all keep track of where he is.

The problem with telling employees about this sort of thing happening is that someone might try to DO something about it, is what I'm getting at. And the something that "gets done" could end up getting done to the employee, not the other way around, when they try to play hero. It really is best to just not get involved.

Besides, I guarantee you, it aint gonna do anything at all to the company itself.

Honestly I'd have done nothing whatsoever. There is always the chance that said guy *needs* that food, but there's also a chance of danger... not just for you, but for the employees. And I guarantee you, that guy stealing something aint gonna matter to the actual employees (unless said employee is literally security, then it does matter, of course).

Heck, I remember working for Toys R Us many years ago (one of the good ones, lovely place, as you might expect) and there was a situation where this guy was in there, CLEARLY shoplifting. And he wasnt just taking any old thing, no. He was taking "difficult" products... you know, the ones that are in funky "packaging" meant to secure the product until the cashier could scan it and then take it off for you.

We were all warned about this guy at the same time once he was noticed, but were explicitly told NOT to engage. If he comes near? Get away, dont engage. Engaging could be very dangerous, dont dare do it, they said. Just watch, and calmly report if you spot him, so we can all keep track of where he is.

The problem with telling employees about this sort of thing happening is that someone might try to DO something about it, is what I'm getting at. And the something that "gets done" could end up getting done to the employee, not the other way around, when they try to play hero. It really is best to just not get involved.

Besides, I guarantee you, it aint gonna do anything at all to the company itself.
I would have stabbed him in the eyes with Barbie doll limbs. That is why I was never hired at Toys R Us.

When incidence rates of theft go down, the prices don't go down at the same time. They're motivated by profit. Profit is theft. Every time you buy something above its actual cost, you're the victim of theft.

My daughter worked in sporting goods retail in a poorer neighborhood for a while. Theft was huge in that store, like 10% of sales. (Across all types of retail nationally, theft is 1.5%) The policy was to ignore shoplifting because trying to interdict shoplifters was hazardous to store personnel. Plus, the chance the shoplifter will turn around and sue the store for profiling, use of force, etc.

You can't accuse them of stealing until they've left the store. You'd have to have dedicated security stationed at the door to grab them as they walked through and that costs money too. Even then, they just say they forgot they had it and give it back.

The only solution was to keep high-value, easily concealed items behind a counter. If you happened to get security cam footage of the theft, you could send it to the police.

She was lucky they never had an armed robbery.

I would say that the rather small crime of stealing some chocolate bars weighed against the unknown variables which could have a negative outcome, letting it go was probably the most moral choice. You were not in a position to enforce anything.

As to why he was taking chocolate bars and not bread…I think the number of calories he could conceal in chocolate bars probably exceeds the amount in bread. ;)

I think a good way to approach it is to wait until he is gone, then when it your turn at the till, mention to the cashier that you saw this happen. It's then up to them to do with it as they wish. They have the responsibility for store security, not you, and confronting the shoplifter may put you in danger.

Stealing is never correct in my opinion, but in some circumstances it can be justified and excused. Such as stealing a 3D printer during the height of the pandemic and in an emergency to make extra medical equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom