• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mini Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isadoorian

Welcomer of Newcomers
V.I.P Member
General Rules & Guidelines

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but after seeing a few posts from people I've seen the last several days or so (especially one recently where someone was talking about ending their life over not having many positive relationships in their life or something to that effect), I'd like to Remind these Individuals that this is a PG-13 ( which means Family Friendly) Forum. Swearing (even "hidden" with asterisks * < this little fella or similar symbols) alongside flinging Insults at those trying to aid you aren't allowed in your posts and to please not continue doing it. I do know that most can't control themselves over how emotional and/or passionate they can get over their situations, but please do try to think what you're wanting to say through before typing anything. Write it in a Word Document if that helps then copy and paste it over into the Body of your Post.

I know I'm not a Moderator nor Admin and know what I'm saying carries little weight but it has to be said. I hate seeing it and it makes the site seem a bit hostile, especially if one were a newcomer. It doesn't leave a good first impression, and first impressions are 100% everything and are the number one thing that keeps people coming back.

Thank you

General Rules & Guidelines

I wasn't aware cursing wasn't allowed until I did it twice without thinking, and I've felt guilty ever since! I considered making a thread apologizing but wasn't sure if that was too weird or not. When things like that are edited/removed, is the person doing it experiencing any negative emotion? :confused:

I never saw the rules and guidelines thread until now because I've never actually clicked on any of the forums. :eek: I've only ever gone to threads on the side of the screen under "New Threads" or threads I receive notifications for because I commented on them after going to them under "New Threads"! :eek: Going to the forum listings has so many words and choices! :confused::eek:

Thanks for posting this! I've never read rules or instructions or guidelines or anything of that nature unless it was put directly in front of me, accompanied by either a very harsh or very kind request to read them. Anything in between doesn't work. :D

I wasn't aware cursing wasn't allowed until I did it twice without thinking, and I've felt guilty ever since! I considered making a thread apologizing but wasn't sure if that was too weird or not. When things like that are edited/removed, is the person doing it experiencing any negative emotion? :confused:

I never saw the rules and guidelines thread until now because I've never actually clicked on any of the forums. :eek: I've only ever gone to threads on the side of the screen under "New Threads" or threads I receive notifications for because I commented on them after going to them under "New Threads"! :eek: Going to the forum listings has so many words and choices! :confused::eek:

Thanks for posting this! I've never read rules or instructions or guidelines or anything of that nature unless it was put directly in front of me, accompanied by either a very harsh or very kind request to read them. Anything in between doesn't work. :D
Don't worry, Fino! Many of us get gigged because you know how to internet is. We don't realize this is a safe place where we don't have to be aggressive jerks. Our safety measures of overcompensating to be NT don't work here :)

what I'm saying carries little weight but it has to be said. I hate seeing it and it makes the site seem a bit hostile, especially if one were a newcomer. It doesn't leave a good first impression, and first impressions are 100% everything and are the number one thing that keeps people coming back.
IMO what you say carries a little MORE weight because you don't have to - you get to. The moderators have to because it's their job.

You remind me of that beloved college dean who quit his job to devote more time to taking care of his wife when she was stricken with Alzheimers. Everyone kept telling him he didn't have to do it and to hire someone else to do it. In his retirement speech, he explained to the faculty and students: I don't HAVE to. I GET to because I care and she's important to me.

I've noticed that when someone new ventures onto the forum, you are always there to greet them. We feel confident that if we go on break, the newbies are taken care of.

Thank you for being you!:)

Thanks for saying that @Isadoorian . I'm 61 and don't like cursing and the asterisks doesn't hide the word, nor does the initials - therefore it's already in my head. I noticed things went fairly quiet for a day or two and starting to feel a little like everywhere else. I was just kind of waiting for things to settle back down. I wanted to start an upbeat thread but couldn't think of anything. (negativity is a bit contagious.)

Thanks for saying that @Isadoorian . I'm 61 and don't like cursing and the asterisks doesn't hide the word, nor does the initials - therefore it's already in my head. I noticed things went fairly quiet for a day or two and starting to feel a little like everywhere else. I was just kind of waiting for things to settle back down. I wanted to start an upbeat thread but couldn't think of anything. (negativity is a bit contagious.)

I was gonna start a more light-hearted thread too but was worried I was making too many! :eek: Now I feel like I should have! You would have thought I was reading your mind! :D

I wanted to start an upbeat thread but couldn't think of anything. (negativity is a bit contagious.)

Pats, I agree with you wholeheartedly. We live in a negative world. Everything and everybody reminds me of Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry". Exposure of everything and everybody negative laid open for the world to see. But how ironic - negativity! Isn't that what I am doing right now?

You are an optimistic person. Put your thinking cap on and come up with something positive and upbeat. We don't have to be stuck in the NT's world of drudgery. Some days the world makes us all feel like a snake's belly in a wagon rut!

Pats, I agree with you wholeheartedly. We live in a negative world. Everything and everybody reminds me of Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry". Exposure of everything and everybody negative laid open for the world to see. But how ironic - negativity! Isn't that what I am doing right now?

You are an optimistic person. Put your thinking cap on and come up with something positive and upbeat. We don't have to be stuck in the NT's world of drudgery. Some days the world makes us all feel like a snake's belly in a wagon rut!
I want to click multiple ratings on this, but mostly thank you. You just opted my thinking back up. :)

@Pats No - the thanks is mine. I have a tendency to get stuck in all the negative aspects of my life. But when I read optimistic post such as yours it is like a slap in the face telling me - WAKE UP!! Start smelling the "Roses of Life" and stop smelling the NT treatment plants.

Thank you for your support everyone :D It just makes me a little bit mad me seeing it. Anywhere else I'd be fine with it, but on such a fine forum such as this, it's a no from me. Especially since I also know many are offended by such things or find it extremely uncomfortable to see.

Thanks for saying that @Isadoorian . I'm 61 and don't like cursing and the asterisks doesn't hide the word, nor does the initials - therefore it's already in my head.

The euphemisms for profanity are annoying. When you use a common euphemism, the only thing you're doing is skirting the 'letter of the law' by not saying the word out loud. You know what word you actually wanted to say, everyone who hears you knows what word you wanted to say, and the word is now in everyone's mind.

The no profanity rule on this site is so nice. Thank you, mods.

I'd like to Remind these Individuals that this is a PG-13 ( which means Family Friendly) Forum. Swearing (even "hidden" with asterisks * < this little fella or similar symbols) alongside flinging Insults at those trying to aid you aren't allowed in your posts

If this is the case then someone should remove rule number 6
from the "General rules and guide lines" that you linked.

6. Excessive use of explicit language is not allowed.

This rule only bans excessive use of explicit language.

I don't believe that Rule #6 needs to be removed.
What constitutes "excessive" on a PG-13 site is the presence
of any explicit language, aka *swearing*, vulgarity, obscenity.

What are some euphemisms for profanity? I'm not sure what exactly that entails, and I want to make sure it's not something I do..

Are you serious?

Why not try an online search: euphemism for profanity?
You'd get plenty of reading material.

And I see his point about Rule #6! "Excessive" implies that some is allowed and an arbitrary line needs to be drawn at which point the amount becomes "excessive". Your point would make the rule have to be worded something like, "No excessively inappropriate language," with "excessively inappropriate" being defined as "swearing, vulgarity, obscenity."

But it's entirely semantics, so please don't think that I'm actual arguing with anyone or advocating for a changing of rules.

Are you serious?

Why not try an online search: euphemism for profanity?
You'd get plenty of reading material.

You're right! I'm sorry! I didn't think it through. I'll just delete the comment, assuming I can easily find how.

Edit: It was easy! :)

If this is the case then someone should remove rule number 6
from the "General rules and guide lines" that you linked.

This rule only bans excessive use of explicit language.

Excessive in this Sites case is 1 or more. Again, this is a PG-13, family friendly place. If you don't like it and believe that the Rule should be removed, then I say this place isn't the right fit for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom