• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Military

Whose Navy? Looks potentially complicated and ambiguous if you mean the US Navy or other armed forces. This doesn't mention specific neurological conditions by name, but clearly they imply them.

I suppose these days Military Entrance Processing Stations take such enlistees on a case-by-case basis without any overt, blanket disqualifying policies. But I'm not entirely certain of all the details.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/disqualifiers-medical-conditions.html

Last edited:
Yeah it depends on which country's navy you're on about. I hear that you can't be in the US Army if you have Asperger's. Over here in the UK you can be in the military if you're mentally and physically able. They are exempt from making Reasonable Adjustments for you as laid out by the Equality Act of 2010.

I was in the Army, but back then men did not have a choice. We all had a military obligation and I did not know that I had AS. As far as I am concerned, the military is a horrible place for Aspies. I fulfilled my military obligation, but I did not like it. The military is a very good place for a lot of people, just not me.

I don't know; it depends on the criteria of the country you're in, and how severe your condition is and in what ways it effects you, I guess. However, I do know that the armed forces in any country are very strict and rigid, with very harsh rules and punishments. While being an Aspie may seem a good thing when it comes to attention to detail, the rules are so draconian, and the orders so loud and harsh, it could be counter-productive and you could end up with depression. Or the opposite may happen, and you become so perfect, your comrades may resent it and bully you. There's a lot of bullying in the armed forces, from officers and fellow Privates. Remember, orders are not given in a normal manner, they're shouted; you're forced to conform through harsh bullying and humiliation - you're not given a quiet talking to in private unless you're being court-marshalled, you're shouted at in front of everybody else. I know this is the army I'm talking about, but I don't suppose it's much different in the other forces. At the very least, you'd be wise to look into that aspect before committing yourself, or you could end up with a dishonourable discharge or, at best, a medical discharge due to depression.

^^ I actually served in the USMC with most of that time in a leadership role, and apart from initial training, the above post is NOT accurate in describing my experience. The Corps was VERY respectful of its members and the leaders I had were very compassionate. Initial training is rough for very specific reasons; namely to ensure that one can withstand prolonged exposure to the VERY high stresses encountered in combat environments. Any bullying usually comes from peers, which is not really so different from civilian employment.

I'm not exactly in a position to give an authoritative answer but I would imagine it depends on a number of factors, including your specific diagnosis, how it manifests itself in your day-to-day behavior, the country you live in, and what its navy's policy is toward persons with disabilities.

Whatever the case may be I think your best (and only) bet would be to look into non-combat roles, which I imagine are in abundance in the navy as opposed to some other branch of the military like the army or even air force. You'll have to do a lot of "soul-searching": evaluate your own interests and aptitudes and compare them against the kind of jobs that would be available on naval bases or ships, find out what would job would be best fit for you and go from there.

As several posters before me have said, being in the military requires conformity, comprehension, and following orders swiftly and without question - three things that aren't exactly conducive to a happy experience for people on the Autistic spectrum in general. But your experience may vary depending on the kind of role you fill.

Again, I'm not really qualified to give a 100% reliable answer but this is what I've got. Best of luck to you.

I don't know; it depends on the criteria of the country you're in, and how severe your condition is and in what ways it effects you, I guess. However, I do know that the armed forces in any country are very strict and rigid, with very harsh rules and punishments. While being an Aspie may seem a good thing when it comes to attention to detail, the rules are so draconian, and the orders so loud and harsh, it could be counter-productive and you could end up with depression. Or the opposite may happen, and you become so perfect, your comrades may resent it and bully you. There's a lot of bullying in the armed forces, from officers and fellow Privates. Remember, orders are not given in a normal manner, they're shouted; you're forced to conform through harsh bullying and humiliation - you're not given a quiet talking to in private unless you're being court-marshalled, you're shouted at in front of everybody else. I know this is the army I'm talking about, but I don't suppose it's much different in the other forces. At the very least, you'd be wise to look into that aspect before committing yourself, or you could end up with a dishonourable discharge or, at best, a medical discharge due to depression.
Ok,you really need to know the reasons they need conformity in the military.Boot camp is where they shout at you in order to break your spirit so you will respond in a time of need. If you are being shouted at in a battle,it would most likely be while you were under fire and others are relying on a team that works together with a common goal.

In a battle situation,they don't want thinking bodies,they want orders to be followed because right or wrong,there has to be a chain of command in order for it to operate smoothly.For example,when the infantry is commanded to fix bayonets and charge the enemy,even if it is a suicidal mission taking place,they don't need someone questioning the order,they need it followed. The military may not be a good fit for many people regardless of their neurology

Ok,you really need to know the reasons they need conformity in the military.Boot camp is where they shout at you in order to break your spirit so you will respond in a time of need. If you are being shouted at in a battle,it would most likely be while you were under fire and others are relying on a team that works together with a common goal.

In a battle situation,they don't want thinking bodies,they want orders to be followed because right or wrong,there has to be a chain of command in order for it to operate smoothly.For example,when the infantry is commanded to fix bayonets and charge the enemy,even if it is a suicidal mission taking place,they don't need someone questioning the order,they need it followed. The military may not be a good fit for many people regardless of their neurology

Ours is not reason why, ours is to do or die.

I wasn't talking about battle, I was talking about peacetime parades, kit inspection and so forth. It's a nightmare, even, as cig114 pointed out, even for NT's; people on the spectrum don't stand a chance.

I wasn't talking about battle, I was talking about peacetime parades, kit inspection and so forth. It's a nightmare, even, as cig114 pointed out, even for NT's; people on the spectrum don't stand a chance.
Which once again isn't confined to neurology.

Maybe that is your personal experience as an autie that makes you and some others feel like it would be a total nightmare,but I really don't think it is a cut and dried case in this instance.

You cannot say for sure what works for each individual based on brain wiring alone. Some auties thrive well on structure and routine while others not so much,just the same as one could expect neurotypicals to respond.If all you have to do is follow routines and bring forth perfection in something,it may well be a good fit for some on or off the autism spectrum.

When I joined the U.S. Army 7 years ago, I did not know I was on the spectrum. Truth is, had I known at the time, they likely would not have let me join, likely citing this piece from the list of disqualifying conditions in the link below:

c. Symptoms or behavior of a repeated nature that impaired social, school, or work efficiency.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/disqualifiers-medical-conditions.html

That being said, that same item is the reason they'd use to retain you if you were to receive a diagnosis while you were in (as I did). It realistically comes down to how well you cope/function in your day to day life. If you were in and received a diagnosis they'd look at your record and determine the level of impairment it causes you in your ability to operate in the military. Where as if you were trying to join with a diagnosis already in hand, they'd likely not take a chance on ya. Obviously not saying that it is fair, just that is the reality of it.

Most important question you should be asking yourself, is how would you handle the highly structured, highly stressful, and labor intensive lifestyle that the military provides? Truth is, if you don't handle stress well, if being told what to do/kept from what you want to do, then the military may not be a good environment for you.

*disclaimer: this is based on my personal experiences in the U.S. Army, and may not directly correlate to the military for the country you are in, if the branch you wish yo serve in.*

can I be navy if I have Autism?
I was in the U.S. Navy (many years ago, without any understanding of my Aspergers).

I believe the Navy (as it was then) was no place for an Aspie. I agree with Nitro's first comment.

If
  • you have sound issues (think drill instructors screaming and PA systems, klaxons, and alarms of various sorts blaring), or
  • you're a thinky kind of person (you like to understand why, or at least, precisely what, you're required to do), or
  • you get confused trying to interpret body language (the screaming drill instructor again, or the sarcastic senior-ranking person), or
  • you dislike arbitrary standards (just how shiny should shoes be?), or
  • you need privacy or a few minutes to collect your self once in a while
then please, find another way.

If the service denies admittance to Aspies or Auties, they do so because they know by experience that it just doesn't work out.

New Threads

Top Bottom