• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Military Service?

Phlogiston101

phlogiston101
I was just wondering if anyone else here diagnosed, or un-diagnosed has served in their countries military? I was in the US Army in the infantry with the Second Infantry Division overseas, then I was with the Hundred and First Airborne Division back stateside. I also was in the Army National Guard with the Fortieth Infantry Division after the army. Just curious how many others served in the military.

Thank you for your service. My brother is in the military - he is in the Air Force. I'm not sure if he is and aspie or not. He does have some tendencies, but he seems to do pretty well socially.

Hi Isadoorian, your first link came back with an error message. I checked out your second link though. For me army boot camp wasn't hard psychologically after going through 12 years of public schooling (anyone who survives this deserves a medal), the hardest part for me was mostly the lack of sleep. I was always tired, and the physical excursion was not easy for me. I liked the routine of the military, but I also have a problem with authority, so I only did one enlistment in the Army, and one in the Army National Guard.

I just joined the US Army as a 68W I leave for basic in February with an airborne slot in my contract. I'm diagnosed with autism. You were an 11B?

I was just wondering if anyone else here diagnosed, or un-diagnosed has served in their countries military? I was in the US Army in the infantry with the Second Infantry Division overseas, then I was with the Hundred and First Airborne Division back stateside. I also was in the Army National Guard with the Fortieth Infantry Division after the army. Just curious how many others served in the military.

Last edited:
I just joined the US Army as a 68W I leave for basic in February with an airborne slot in my contract. I'm diagnosed with autism. You were an 11B?

Sorry folks I live in the UK and do not speak US Military slang.
What is 68W and 11B? - just trying to understand what you mean.

I have done national service -(but not in the UK)

This is...interesting. I went for the army and got turned down due to having Asperger's on my record, despite getting through that stage previously, only to fail at selection.

For some reason, Asperger's is a bar for some but not others. Maybe the first time they saw it and were "giving me a chance" and I did not perform well enough, who knows.

I joined the Army in 1964. I those days we did not have a choice, you had to join or get drafted. I joined so that I got my choice MOS (military occupational standard). The 18 yr. old me was not very smart I guess. I choose to be a turret artillery repair man because it sounded interesting. When I got out there just was not any demand for tank mechanics At least it was interesting. At that time I had no idea that I was autistic.

In the American army, a 68W is a combat medic, (that's the job I picked) and 11B would an infantry rifleman.

The way it works in the army at least the branches of the military may be different or use a different system, but the number is the career field and the letter is the exact job in that career field. for instance, take my job it's in the medical series of careers witch carries the number the 68 and my specific job in that series of careers carries the letter W. That's how those numbers and letters connect to one another.

If you don't mind me asking where did you do national service?

Sorry folks I live in the UK and do not speak US Military slang.
What is 68W and 11B? - just trying to understand what you mean.

I have done national service -(but not in the UK)

Do you think your job in the army helped you the civilian workforce? I recall threads where you mentioned you spent like 50 years working for caterpillar

I joined the Army in 1964. I those days we did not have a choice, you had to join or get drafted. I joined so that I got my choice MOS (military occupational standard). The 18 yr. old me was not very smart I guess. I choose to be a turret artillery repair man because it sounded interesting. When I got out there just was not any demand for tank mechanics At least it was interesting. At that time I had no idea that I was autistic.

If you don't mind me asking where did you do national service?

Thank you for the explanation of the codes. I recognise that a lot of folk in the US have served and therefore understand this language.

I did National Service in Norway - 15 months in the Navy.

Do you think your job in the army helped you the civilian workforce? I recall threads where you mentioned you spent like 50 years working for caterpillar

I think that I could have been smarter in choosing my MOS, however it did work out. Going from working on tanks and heavy artillery to working on equipment wasn't to big of a jump. Working for a Caterpillar dealer was a very good job because they had very good training, pay and benefits.

No problem, the only reason I used those was codes was that the OP mentioned he was an army guy so I figured he would understand what I meant. For as militant as American culture is and can be at times, very few people actually serve in the military. right now about .4% of Americans are serving in uniform.

Did you like your time in the Navy?

Thank you for the explanation of the codes. I recognize that a lot of folk in the US have served and therefore understand this language.

I did National Service in Norway - 15 months in the Navy.

Hi yes I have two MOS's 11B, and 11C. They're both infantry, 11B is rifleman, that's what I was in the national guard, and 11C is infantry mortarman, that's what my job was in the army. I originally wanted to join the army engineers, but the sergent at the MEPS station told me they didn't have any openings. So I kind of got fooled iinto joining the infantry. He asked me what I liked to do, and I told him I liked hiking, camping and target shooting. He told me I woould probably like the infantry since I could get to do those things. Boy was I naive, you do get to do those things, but it's not what you would think. I also was not diagnosed officially yet at that time.

If you don't mind my asking why did you choose to join to the army?

Hi yes I have two MOS's 11B, and 11C. They're both infantry, 11B is rifleman, that's what I was in the national guard, and 11C is infantry mortarman, that's what my job was in the army. I originally wanted to join the army engineers, but the sergent at the MEPS station told me they didn't have any openings. So I kind of got fooled iinto joining the infantry. He asked me what I liked to do, and I told him I liked hiking, camping and target shooting. He told me I woould probably like the infantry since I could get to do those things. Boy was I naive, you do get to do those things, but it's not what you would think. I also was not diagnosed officially yet at that time.

Did you like your time in the Navy?

Yes the time was fine.

Basic training, 6 weeks, was a complete mental break. You did not need to think - all you needed to do was told to you. After that we did some further training which was a bit more demanding.

One thing I quite liked was drill marching. Just being in a group and all doing the same thing at the same time was fun.

Hi Raynor, I joined the army since I didn't want to join the navy, air force, or marines. If you mean why did I join the military, I've been thinking about that for awhile, not too sure I have the complete answer. But it wasn't for the patriotic reasons most give like serving their country etc. I think I needed to get away from my family and the familiar setting of the house, and try to be myself or something along those lines. Like I said in an earlier post infantry was not really my choice, I wanted to be in the engineers since they get to blow things up, and build bridges and things like that. At least that's what I thought back then in my somewhat naive mind.

New Threads

Top Bottom