• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mike's way to "break the ice" at antique tractor shows

artfull dodger

I love antique tractor shows almost as much as model train shows. They are a highly social event. To that end, I decided to kill two birds with one stone. My inablity to keep a tractor more than a few weeks or months an to help start conversations with strangers when I display or ride my little tractor at shows. I started with a common Wheel Horse Commando 8 garden tractor. Nothing really special about it other than being in nice original condition with no modifications. I had custom Autism Awareness decals made and donated by a member on a forum that is just about that brand of antique lawn and garden tractors. I added a couple more decals to his. I also prefer things powered by diesel engines. My pickup truck is diesel, so naturaly I wanted the tractor to be diesel powered. I installed a Yanmar air cooled diesel that was a US military surplus engine. Now the tractor is way cool and gets lots of attention at shows. I have had several parents ask if thier son or daughter that is on the spectrum can sit on it so they can take a pic. And if they want to, they are more than welcome to sit on the tractor. The tractor has been a huge success and lots of fun for me to build and share with others. And, along the lines it helps raise awareness that this disorder does not go away once you turn 18 or whatever age you might be. Enjoy the pics!

Here she is the night I purchased her off Craigslist
20170122_174607.jpg

Next, the custom decals
20170301_131656.jpg

On a cold but snowless late winter day, she is ready for the grass to grow!
DSC07685.jpg

No Engine! custom engine install in progress
20170614_095323.jpg

Yanmar air cooled diesel bolted in place and being tested
20170614_152432_1.jpg

Muffler custom made up and welded together
20170826_122914.jpg

Mostly done now, she had just got a bath after mowing for 2 hours
20170901_175453.jpg

Wow! It is great how nicely you did the two birds with one stone, with your decals on your customized little tractor!

You may have accidentally killed a third bird. You are helping kids feel accepted who likely struggle with acceptance from their peers.
#killingallthebirds

Way to get two birds stoned at once!:grin:

Hank hill would be proud. I like to see peoples different interests that most would consider to be to be obscure or unusual. Many closed minded people would ridicule someone with interests of a fairly off the beaten path nature. I for one embrace it.

It reminds me of a family of which I am their friend. Their oldest daughter is 15 years old and likely aspie as her parents figure and I would agree with that point being well familiar with the symptoms. She will start telling me or the group about some random topic she had been reading about in a book. I recognize that a lot of people would find it boring and not want to hear it, and probably judge negatively toward her for bringing such random topics up and speaking at length without it being asked for. I for one like hearing about it however, whether it be about gardening or Norse mythology, whatever book it happened to be out of this week. It makes me chuckle a bit too because I know at that age and younger I would babble on about topics no one could care less to hear about. I was completely oblivious to that point however.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom