• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mike Smith

Mike Smith

My name is Mike, I'm a thirty nine year old man who was informally diagnosed with high functioning autism four years ago. I have been unable to obtain a clinical diagnosis due to not having insurance or Medicaid. In addition, I have clinical diagnosis of major depressive disorder, and mood disorder.

I signed up for these forums looking for help in finding assistance, as I have no one willing to help me. My wife abandoned me four years ago for someone else, and I was forced to move in with my mom who has been verbally abusive to me, and is not tolerant of my condition or meltdowns.

I feel really hopeless, I have been unsuccessful in maintaining gainful employment, and have been fired from eighteen out of twenty jobs that I have had in the past twenty years, with only two jobs lasting a year.

I have been turned down for help by literally every agency that I have contacted, and I really do not know what else to do. Everyday I am stressed out and afraid and I would greatly appreciate any advice that anyone could offer.

Hi Mike

I'm sure you will find help from someone here.

welcome to af.png

My name is Mike, I'm a thirty nine year old man who was informally diagnosed with high functioning autism four years ago. I have been unable to obtain a clinical diagnosis due to not having insurance or Medicaid. In addition, I have clinical diagnosis of major depressive disorder, and mood disorder.

I signed up for these forums looking for help in finding assistance, as I have no one willing to help me. My wife abandoned me four years ago for someone else, and I was forced to move in with my mom who has been verbally abusive to me, and is not tolerant of my condition or meltdowns.

I feel really hopeless, I have been unsuccessful in maintaining gainful employment, and have been fired from eighteen out of twenty jobs that I have had in the past twenty years, with only two jobs lasting a year.

I have been turned down for help by literally every agency that I have contacted, and I really do not know what else to do. Everyday I am stressed out and afraid and I would greatly appreciate any advice that anyone could offer.
Does this help? Best and Worst Jobs for Aspies

Thanks George Newman I really appreciate that. It gave me some ideas. What I am really interested in is a job as a satellite installer, however I have never been called for an interview, even though I have applied multiple times annually for the past eight years.

Hi Mike,
Your profile doesn't say where you are from, so it's difficult to determine what resources might be available to you. In most states in the USA, you are eligible for Medicare/Medicaid and job placement services from the state dept of rehabilitation since you were disabled due to your multiple medical conditions.

You did mention Medicaid. I have that but it only covers about a dozen of the most prolific diseases, mainly those caused by self destructive behaviors and usually only provides benefits and services to young woman w/ children. HFA is only a footnote a Medicaid provider wrote in my medical chart. It's not an illness or injury, just something 1 in about 100,000 patients are born with that disqualifies them from gainful employment. EEOC laws require employers make reasonable accomodations but EEOC laws are not enforced unless you are rich enough to have an excellent attorney, in which case you wouldn't need a job. I too was illegally terminated on an annual basis the past 20 years due to employer misconduct. Because of my HFA and the rampant ageism, racism, sexism, etc. where I live, I was viciously harassed and denied services by every agency who owed them to me, but unmarried white males under 50 are more likely to be granted access to employment and medical services if they are persistent and creative.

New Threads

Top Bottom