• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Metacognition...

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
This is a spin off of thread Tortoise has going... Here is a link to his posts that he asked me to pop in https://www.autismforums.com/thread...-like-virtual-reality-film.22131/#post-437648

I remembered this and mentioned it but I felt I was going mess up his post. I tend to do that, and its never on purpose. I will be thinking on the right track and the next thing I know... I'm on a different mental train of thought heading off into Neverland. So please forgive me when I do this... I try and catch myself, but I tend to do it way too often and its pretty embarrassing once I go back and see how bad I am at this... : (

I will try and keep this as short as possible, (which means it may get a little long), but I promise it is really cool for those who care to try it and give it some time... Nothing changes instantly, just like our mulling stuff didn't just appear. It happened over a period of time... It takes a little time and concentration to change that.

I love to study and learn... If I can implement some of it then I see that as a victory in my life (even if its small, its significant to me)... I love learning about Neuroscience... I love studying about how we think and what happens inside our bodies as we think certain thoughts.

One person who deeply influences me is Dr. Joe Dispenza. First off he talks in mostly layman's terms, and explains complicated terminology (which I sometimes suck at)... But I will try my best. I tried to just find this talk on YouTube but didn't find it??? The one I have... That makes sense to me, is on iTunes on my phone. So, I will translate what I learned to the best of my ability. If anyone is interested it's called "Information to transformation" on iTunes.

Metacognition isn't a trick or even really a "hack." It's more about becoming very aware of what we are thinking, how that thought makes us feel, and knowing WHY it makes us feel that way . This can be good or bad thoughts and its not about erasing thoughts or lying to ourselves.

Lets say I (we) are stuck on a thought, and that thought is not good and makes us feel sick, anxious, or angry... that thought isn't just a "thought." It's a process where very specific chemicals (created by our bodies) are dumped into our blood creating an emotion that ties us to that thought...

Gene activation or manipulation is a link to how we think and move through life...
Our bodies are simply protein producers... How those proteins are produced and the quality of those proteins is actually very important... It is food for all the cells in our body.

If we keep thinking a thought over and over... Let's say I am angry over something from my past... Every time I think on that situation an emotion is tied to it... My brain instantly dumps the chemicals it dumped when that situation happened to give me that "feeling" that I had when I got angry... The brain is hardwired to do this.

Okay let's say I find out, or I reason out that this situation wasn't exactly what I first thought. I had made some very rash decisions and decided to have wrong thoughts to a person... My brain redesigns a chemical protein cocktail to dowse all my cells in... This subtly changes the emotions and how I feel about that situation...

It's never about forgetting something... but rearranging our emotions of it...Nor is that lying to ourselves...

Why would we want to rearrange how we think on... Lets say some horrible event.

I will use me and one of my most horrible events in my life. I was basically raped as a young kid... Not cool at all. It crushed me for a very long time. Those thoughts would come back and I would relive those events that were very confusing to me... I would never dare to mention those instances to anyone. I hated this person for doing this to me... I hated the feelings of what it made me feel like, then I learned why it made me feel this way and it changed my life.

Was the event wrong? Yes! But it was hurting me over and over and over and over time that literally kills off the a part of who we are and starts physically damaging the body as well as the mind.

See if we keep this loop going in our head, our head thinks this is what we want so it produces the same chemical cocktails over and over and over until we notice we are in a horrible mess.

Well most people run for booze, or illegal drugs, or meds, only to find they are worse off and have complicated a very simple process...

What's the process? Face the facts and say yes this happened. Yes, it was wrong, but that guy has been wronged in his life also - instant chemical change right there, but most people never notice this, because we are not educated on how the process works.

When we soften the harshness the good chemical cocktails start replacing the harsh one that are filled with adrenaline and cortisol, which makes us gain weight and so on, only to cause other problems later...

This is a really deep topic and I love discussing it, but only if others want to be part of it. So if you're interested and want to hash some things out I will try and explain what I have learned and how it works... in differing situations.

The whole thing is KNOWING every time we are reliving a bad event our brains are pumping out nearly toxic chemical compounds simply to give us the emotions we seek to match that bad event... this actually is what causes dis-eases and cancer, and premature aging, and countless other things... If we convert that chemical compound... This is where you hear of people having spontaneous remissions, and cures that doctors have no explanation for...

This is how laughter can beat type 2 diabetes... No one gets how important our thoughts are because they just see them as thought... See them as poor eating, turned into poor proteins, turned into poor thinking and this is where toxic lives are created over and over...

People actually get addicted to those chemical compounds and then we call them bitter or negative, or they are mean... This is all chemicals produced by how we think and by how we relive events over and over again.

We have all seen these people who have overcome something horrific... They become happy again and they move on... Whether they know it or not, they changed the chemical cocktails that gave them those old bad emotions, that made them no longer relive those horrific events.

This is an area in life very dear to me... It's what pulls me out of a mental storm most often...

Here's proof... I woke up at 3 am worried sick over a work situation. I even posted it on Full Steams shutdown thread...

Now I'm good... I got my head back in the right place, just because I wrote about what my brain wasn't wanting to give me... It has to give it to me... I am the captain of this ship. I am in control of my mind, it's not supposed to be the other way around. : )

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how laughter can beat type 2 diabetes... No one gets how important our thoughts are because they just see them as thought

Can you juggle?

If you remember the first time I posted these words. In a way, if you say something random and produce laughter, it's like a full stop to those repetitive thoughts - like cleansing out the brain.

To me, I'm signed up tomyour post 100%. I have spent too much time thinking of past events which give a 'stress reaction' within the body, as you describe.

Like the British Alan Watts, it's a different way of saying the same thing.

You can create what you want out of your perception of life...

As drops of water slowly fill a jar, so positive thoughts create a positive person.

Create new habits out of the old ones.

Each time you fall down, don't dwell on it, but get up and start the process again.

Learning about metacognition kicked off a lot of positive changes in my life. "Thinking about thinking", examining your own thoughts in a critical lights to determine why it is you're thinking the way you are and thus have a platform for change.

I had never actually considered the chemical/neurobiological aspects of it though. Dunno why not, I usually just skim or skip over those parts when reading, way too far above my pay grade. But having it explained like this, with the brain habitually producing bad chemicals to go with the thoughts thus keeping you in a sort of vicious cycle, that's big. This fills in a piece I didn't even know what was missing.

I'll definitely read up more about this Dr. Dispenza guy, he clearly knows his stuff. Thanks for all this, I know what I'll be pondering today :D

It all started for me watching Dr Joe Dispenza's you tube video titled "the three brains"
He uses compassion as an example during a 17minute-odd talk but I came away wanted to know more about Metacognition and neuroplasy/neurogenesis.

I've only gone as far as suits my own purpose with regard to researching how I might beat some OCD and a pretty major Generalised anxiety disorder.
In addition to a short course of CBT (therapist guidance)
And of course this forum and the good folk on it.

I've gone from rarely leaving the house (through fear) to sitting in an interview for a job. (Yesterday)

Am I fixed?
I was never broken.
Just struggling to cope

'Thinking about thinking' I'm a huge fan of :)
Thanks for starting the thread @Chance

I don't know anything about this person.
:: Dr Joe Dispenza ::
drjoedispenza
Clicking on Read More within the second link took me
to a list of several videos by this man.

He is a neuroscientist... One of many who are, and have been, a huge influence in my very messed up life.
Nothing is a snap of a finger. It takes the will to learn some terminology, learning how our brains work, and repetitive thought processes to reprogram or numb the chemical dump of the old thought processes...

Even in that is like a drug addict having some withdrawal symptoms... Our bodies become addicted to the thoughts thus addicted to the chemical dumps that come with us being, angry, ashamed, anxious, etc...

So its not easy, but yet it is for those who truly want to move past where they are stuck in life...

Its all 100% science based but also they never slam anyone for beliefs in what Dr. Joe calls the GREATER MIND, which could be GOD, SOURCE, the Universe - whatever makes us feel right inside...

I dont really trust anyone.... So for me to allow myself to trust is a huge jump for me. I trust this man because he constantly bases the facts on what he states and explains in detail the part of the brain that is firing or that the body is actually telling the brain what to do... Tons of information. I just get lost in it in a good way as much as I can.

... I am the captain of this ship.

Yes you are.
Try not to lose sight of that Cap'n. :)

Mr Fridge once said to me in a conversation that whatever thought I maybe thinking "the opposite may also be true"

For example,

I was really nervous about attending an interview.

I'd done my research on the company, I had researched possible interview questions, I had done as much as I could to prepare and even had my little note book with me to prompt (should I get too nervous and shut down)

I kept on thinking to myself "what if I screw this up and start stimming and die of embarrassment and stumble over my words and forget what they've just asked me?"

And then thought ...

...What if I don't?
(The opposite may also be true and possible. I won't know for sure until I'm actually in the interview)

:)

Thinking in that way got rid of the nerves. Shut that down right there and then.
Didn't let any memories of previous interviews become my focus.
I started to look forward to finding out what an "opposite" interview would feel like :)

This reminds me a bit of Emile Coue's "Day by day, in every way, I am getting better and better..." That simple statement is what he advocates is all we will ever need to control our thoughts...

Then, Napolean Hill took this research and wrote his famous book, "Think and Grow Rich" primarily repeating the same theory - that you stop any negative thoughts simply by replacing them with an easy memorized statement, such as "Day by day, in every way, I am getting better and better" (and in Hill's case, it was ..."I am getting richer and richer.")

Also, some of the philosophers are worth noting, such as Epicurus and Roussau(sp?), both amazing philosophers advocating similar theories of positivity, AND of course the entire study of Mindfulness.

Bottom line is that it's hard to catch the negative thoughts that just pop into our heads, but it does help to have a memorized turn-off switch, so to speak. That's what I aspire try to do, anyway.

Fascinating thread, btw. :)

This "meta-cognition" idea has been applied to treatment of PTSD and into a structured process call Cognitive Processing Therapy. Cognitive processing therapy - Wikipedia

I have been doing this for years without realizing it had a name. Though I find that it has helped me a great deal, I've also discovered along the way that prolonged exposure to trauma (as in my case) can cause permanent structural changes to the brain, such that a plateau is reached eventually where this type of process stops healing and becomes a day to day coping mechanism.

I've reached that point, or near to it, so when my VA therapist asked me "ok, what's next? how do you move forward?" I didn't have an answer and still don't.

..., so when my VA therapist asked me "ok, what's next? how do you move forward?" I didn't have an answer and still don't.

Will your answer lie in what you would like your "forward" to look like?
The next immediate step or process
(In order to move towards 'the bigger picture'?)

Those permanent changes in the brain that have been created? ...

would that then mean other permanent changes can also be created? Other pathways and connections?
Those of your own design?
By choice?

@Gracey , yes, it's called Neuroplasticity. Generally, this is a developing part of neuroscience and not really understood. They know that the brain adapts but exactly how and how long it takes is still being explored. Notice that the examples are adaptations of the brain to extended practices (like lifelong meditation by Buddhist monks) or blindness or traumatic brain injury. I'm not sure that we could consciously do this, except by years of repeated behavior?

The next steps are sort of easy to figure out. Get my house sold in NC (suppose to close Monday). Go to work, pay bills, ... in other words, keep living life and managing "one day at a time." What I think he is asking is "now that you have reached this point (in my progress of treatment/mental health), you have achieved a lot on your journey, so where do you go from here? What is the next plateau you want to reach?"
As you put is "what is the big picture?" Right now, I don't know what that looks like. Material achievements (e.g. buying a horse ranch) is not the point here, I think.

Can't see why not if that's what you really want eventually. (Horse Ranch)

How would you put the tiny and numerous in place in order to achieve your bigger goal? (Owning and running a horse ranch)

I tend to think the same applies to most things.

Recovery, healing, purpose, learning, wanting to have, create or achieve something different.

If I am 'here' and I want to be 'there'

What do I need to learn, practice and think and do in order to get 'there'?
What raw materials do I have? What else will I need? How will I go about getting what I need?

I don't know the absolute process and terminology involved in neurogenisis. I have a very basic understanding of it and a belief that it absolutely works.
I use my belief in it to work for me and to date have made some real progress in certain areas (mainly ocd and some changes in spatial awareness, depth perception, issues surrounding heights - which I believe can be part of OCD?)

All through 'thinking about thinking' and making tiny changes to what I think which in turn can make a big impact on my day to day functioning.

Like being released from self imposed manicles.

Forgot to add,

Habits.

We create new habits (pathways) for thoughts(?) To run along.

No longer using the old pathways ... I'm led to believe these will be part recycled in some way eventually.

I agree with much of what you speak about. I'll be honest, I didn't read your entire post, but agree that our thoughts/feelings/actions are so intertwined that it is difficult to separate them from one another. Habits are tough to change. It literally takes sustained heightened focus and effort to change thoughts and feelings. It probably takes weeks or months to change deeply ingrained habits and thoughts. The difficult thing is it only takes a day or even an hour or minute to fall back into old, unproductive habits. Of course, it always seems easier to fall into unhealthy habits than healthy ones. Healthy habits take more effort, but leave you feeling better in the long run. This difficulty with healthy habits is you don't receive instant gratification. It takes time. Suddenly eating healthier will not help you lose weight the next day. It takes sustained effort before seeing results. That's what makes it so difficult to change.

I recently had a blood test to see what sort of foods that I may have an adverse reaction to. Supposedly, most of us have foods in our diet that we do not react well with and causing our immune system to actually attack the food after we ingest it. This causes a wide range of symptoms depending on the individual person. It manifests in different ways ranging from obesity to cancer to diabetes to anxiety and depression. Our diet has changed more in the last 50 years than in entire human history before then. This has caused numerous chronic illnesses that we see today. This was old told to me when I met with this certain health professional. I am a skeptical person, but I feel like there was a lot of truth to what she was saying. For those with anxiety and depression, we are often sensitive to many of the additives in processed foods. Causes neurological issues. I receive my blood test results soon. The plan is to eliminate foods and additives that my body has an adverse reaction to. Once I receive the results and implement the necessary changes to my diet I plan to start a new thread if it helps me feel any better. But now I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom