• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mental illness is frightening

To be fair, experiencing altered states of consciousness when sleep deprived or using psychotropic drugs is considered physiological and not pathological. It’s only considered a symptom of mental illness if said altered state occurs without those triggers, or if it lingers way beyond the normal duration (say, a drug-induced break from reality that lingers long after the effects of the drugs have worn off)

I want to expound upon all this for clarity!

I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand your comment. My point was that only western cultures advocate that altered states of consciousness is a “mental illness”. And most all non-western cultures consider experiencing realities, apart from what western main stream psychiatry insist is “normal”, according to their narrow-minded paradigms – is “normal accepted behavior”. Matter of fact all non-western indigenous cultures consider “an altered state of consciousness” as a spiritual gift. And many of those cultures will take members of their community who exhibit such behavior and initiate them into shamanic training – for the benefit of the community!

“Pathological”, according to the online Oxford English Dictionary is defined as: 2) Involving or caused by a physical or mental disease. (emphasis mine) I am in no way shape or form advocating that “any” state of consciousness is “pathological” or “a mental illness”. I am merely pointing out the contrasting paradigms between two different cultural mentalities as it relates to the subject of this thread. As far as my mention to “how” any state of consciousness is obtained, your reference to the methods mentioned being “physiological” is correct. Because, again according to Oxford’s online English dictionary, physiological is defined as: 1.1) Relating to the branch of biology that deals with the normal functions of living organisms and their parts. . (emphasis mine)

Also, I did not, never have, and never will advocate that any “altered” state of consciousness is a “symptom” of mental illness. I do however believe, there are those in our western culture which are considered “normal”, who actually do exhibit “symptoms” of mental psychosis as it relates to their everyday life. The fact that “cultural conditioning” leads people to complete dependence on “the system” for cognitive reasoning instead of “thinking for themselves” is a prime “symptom” of mental illness. (i.e. – neruotypicals and some members of the spectrum that “overly condition” themselves to “mask” NT "normal" behavior)

You have inferred that “a drug-induced break from reality that lingers long after the effects of the drugs have worn off” is a symptom of “mental illness”. I ask you rhetorically; “How do you define reality?” If someone gets “stuck” in a drug-induced reality and does not return to what our fixed paradigms calls our everyday “normal” reality, then by what standards of conscious experiences are you defining what “reality” consist of. I know that question is confusing, so please allow me to give a very simple example of an “expanded sense” of reality or an altered state of “humanity’s” consciousness.

Today we have many technological advancements. For instance, we have machines that can detect “sound” far beyond what the human ear can detect. We have machines that can detect “light” frequencies that exist far beyond what our eyes can perceive. We have machines and instruments that can make observations far beyond the narrow band of the electromagnetic spectrum in which humanity's five sense reality is limited. Elephants are capable of communication among their species using ultra-low sound frequencies that humans can’t hear. The K9 world can hear high pitched sounds that humans cannot detect. Can we as humans with our “limited” five senses refute that these animals have an “expanded” reality? Again, there are some moths and insects that manifest colors that reach into the ultraviolet and infrared color spectrum, in which humans cannot see. But the world of birds can detect these light frequencies. How then, can we refuse to believe that these creatures that we share this world with do not have an expanded reality? And these realities, that humans are not detecting, are “normal” for these creatures. So, who has a “true” definition of reality? Are we going to narrow our perceptions based on the “narrow-minded” paradigms of psychiatry and other "mental health" gurus – these “authorities” who define what “reality” is?

@Bedlamite you seem to have misunderstood my post. I was merely responding to this quote of yours:
here in our western culture, altered states of consciousness is considered by psychiatry as a mental illness.

My response meant that in the field of psychiatry, not every altered state of consciousness is considered mental illness, such as altered states through sleep deprivation or psychotropic drugs.

I am not making statements about the nature of reality, nor am I saying there is an absolute reality.
I don't feel like debating the subject of reality, nor did I mean to start a debate on that subject with my response. I simply responded to that one quote of yours with my knowledge on the field of modern psychiatry. That is all.

My response meant that in the field of psychiatry, not every altered state of consciousness is considered mental illness, such as altered states through sleep deprivation or psychotropic drugs.

I am not making statements about the nature of reality, nor am I saying there is an absolute reality.
I don't feel like debating the subject of reality, nor did I mean to start a debate on that subject with my response. I simply responded to that one quote of yours with my knowledge on the field of modern psychiatry. That is all.

In all fairness, we both seem to be trying to clarify what we were trying to say. Anyway, you are correct - trying to explain this type of subject matter would have to take book form.

My family has a rich and sordid history of mental illness which makes life challenging. Unfortunately, I got the double dose, seeing as I am both Autistic and suffer from mental illness. Things took a turn for the worse last week. I started hearing voices and having racing thoughts and I would turn my head to see who spoke but nobody would be there. At first I thought it must be my imagination but I kept hearing my name being called and nobody's there.

So I had the dreaded conversation with my psychiatrist. At least schizophrenia generally develops much earlier in life. She was worried that it could be a mild onset of dementia. So, I've had Risperdal added to my antidepressant. My doc said it could take a couple of days to get to full therapeutic effect. The good news is that the thoughts have slowed down some, and knock on wood, I haven't heard any voices today.

This is truly frightening but I have a history of head injury and maybe life has caught up with me. My doc explained that the difference between dementia and schizophrenia is that with schizophrenia, you cannot separate fiction from reality. At least I know that the voices that I hear are not grounded in reality. I just wish it would stop but it's getting a little better.

I have a bipolar daughter, we have had a few rough rides. I think the most frustrating part for parents dealing with mental illness in a loved one, is the total distrust. If the afflicted could find a way to trust their family through the cloud of paranoia, much of the suffering could be dealt with in a quicker manner. If the bipolar person could just take a chance and trust their loved ones, that would be a huge hurdle. I guess it is hard to trust loved ones more than you trust your own judgement, it’s a lot to ask.

I have a bipolar daughter, we have had a few rough rides. I think the most frustrating part for parents dealing with mental illness in a loved one, is the total distrust. If the afflicted could find a way to trust their family through the cloud of paranoia, much of the suffering could be dealt with in a quicker manner. If the bipolar person could just take a chance and trust their loved ones, that would be a huge hurdle. I guess it is hard to trust loved ones more than you trust your own judgement, it’s a lot to ask.
I am fortunate in that my family trusts me because I am open and honest about my difficulties. I know when things are going to be tough and I am able to communicate it. However, things weren't always that way, and as a teenager, I wasn't really trusted at all. However, my father was verbally and psychologically abusive as well so the dynamic is complicated.

Aside from sleep deprivation, I've heard voices when I'm awake in two other circumstances: once after working 16 hours days for about a month with no day off (was in an onshore fish processing plant in Alaska) and the moment my mother died.

Otherwise I only hear my brain talking independent of the language faculty while I'm in a REM state... sometimes a brief word/short sentence as I'm transitioning from sleep to wakefulness. When I'm able to figure out how the brain is parsing language and/or imagery, it translates to something useful like, 'the body is leaching calcium', 'you're making false assumptions about X which is hampering memory consolidation', 'the frozen fish you've started eating contains a contaminant so stop eating it', 'you don't have as full a knowledge of subject X as you think you do so learn more.'

It took me a long, long time to get to the point where I could begin to figure out what the heck my brain was trying to communicate. I suspect there may be some of us on the spectrum who have a heightened awareness of the modular nature of the human brain. I lived in constant fear when I was a child because of it. As I got older I was afraid and confused as I tried to make sense of it. It's only been the past few years that I've begun to sort things out. Whether what you're experiencing is related to the heightened sensitivity I mentioned previously or a separate issue altogether I have no way of knowing but I wish you the best.

New Threads

Top Bottom