• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Memory issues

Judge I think this is normal. I've been having this issue with word retrieval for several years especially for words I don't use often such as your example. I'm older than you and I think it's fairly normal part of the aging process and not indicative of developing any type of dementia. But it sure is annoying. I find I do actually recall the words I'm looking for but not as fast as I want to.
I have the same problem I went to the doctor but he never said a thing ,I said maybe it's depression and he looked at me knowingly.
I know I had the lack of vitamin b related dementia after the infection because I'd lost too much weight to quickly.
now I keep thinking it's hormonal specifically perimenopause ,The problem is in the UK psychologists and psychiatrists tell you as little as they possibly can same for other therapists.
if you don't have insurance in the UK they only really tell you anything if it is considered life-threatening and then they talk to you like you're an idiot when you ask for something and say you probably won't prescribe it.

Judge I think this is normal. I've been having this issue with word retrieval for several years especially for words I don't use often such as your example. I'm older than you and I think it's fairly normal part of the aging process and not indicative of developing any type of dementia. But it sure is annoying. I find I do actually recall the words I'm looking for but not as fast as I want to.

Thanks. It's just a bit scary to me. Something I've become quite aware of in only the last few months. Yet it only seems to pertain to things which quite frankly aren't important to me. While critical bits of information I can't afford to lose in my mind continue to be easily recalled.

Guess it could be worse. But then I observed my mother developing signs of dementia in her mid 70s.

As we age I think it's perfectly normal to begin fearing that we are developing s/s of dementia. But I can tell from your posts that you are no where near that so hope you can stop worrying and just chalk it up to another annoying thing we have to deal with as we get older. Dementia isn't a given either- my grandfather lived to be quite old and was sharp as a tack and teaching university despite several strokes so take heart.

As we age I think it's perfectly normal to begin fearing that we are developing s/s of dementia. But I can tell from your posts that you are no where near that so hope you can stop worrying and just chalk it up to another annoying thing we have to deal with as we get older. Dementia isn't a given either- my grandfather lived to be quite old and was sharp as a tack and teaching university despite several strokes so take heart.
yes my mother even though she was completely paralysed was sharper than me ,it still makes me smile she said to the carers" check the fridge she'll kill me with food poisoning".

New Threads

Top Bottom