• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Meltdown at Work

Arashi222

Cuddling Vampires
V.I.P Member
So today my whole schedule got thrown off by getting stuck on the bus on my way to work (so I was 2minutes late to work) because of police having to deal with a drunk passenger on another bus but he was making threats so they had to make sure we were safe before they would let us leave.

I get to work and already they are changing things on me (someone called in which happens)....but here is the thing I had a horrid day. I get to work and no one is able or willing to help me at the service desk. I had people lined up so far back that it was blocking the other lanes. I messed up on the math for a money order and got so upset that I started to cry right there. Then after I finally get some help about a half hour later mind I am still struggling to keep the crying to a minimum.

I am helping a customer and some asshat says doesn't anyone work in this place this place looks like disaster he glares at me and comes a bit closer whispering loud enough for everyone near by to hear that the stupid girl can't keep it together. ( started to cry uncontrollably and started to shake unable to say anything my customer just let me finish her up and all I could do was just stand there and look like a like a little kid. The other person who was supposed to help me finally arrived I was so out of it that when she tried to touch me I shrunk away from her and looked down unable to meet her eyes. Now she thinks I'm even weirder. ( usually can escape to the bathroom when a meltdown is about to happen due too much stress but there wasn't a choice.) Now I am worried that she will say something to my direct supervisor. They are friends and often talk about others. And the other person who took over for me at the service desk kept giving me looks like what is wrong with you and I just couldn't explain. I am worried, worried that there is going to be consequences for my inability to control myself and frustrated. I am so frustrated with my work place. They won't hire anyone new and they don't schedule enough people to handle the workload so when people call in sick we don't have enough people to handle it.:(

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what I should have done or could do? Also should I be worried?

If they try and discipline you, talk to a lawyer (if your boss's know about your condition.) you can't punish somebody with a condition for reacting to a stressful situation.

As for everyone else, just tell them something bad happened out of work. It's not honest, but it works. Everybody understands what it's like to have bad days or to crack under pressure. When I worked in the food industry, I watched several 'normals' burst into tears and run from the kitchen because they couldn't handle it.

If they try and discipline you, talk to a lawyer (if your boss's know about your condition.) you can't punish somebody with a condition for reacting to a stressful situation.

As for everyone else, just tell them something bad happened out of work. It's not honest, but it works. Everybody understands what it's like to have bad days or to crack under pressure. When I worked in the food industry, I watched several 'normals' burst into tears and run from the kitchen because they couldn't handle it.

My boss's don't know about my condition I've been working there for 11yrs. So I am not really worried about the discipline part I'm more worried about and I know this going to sound stupid. But I am more worried about the gossip. I know that it will be talked about. I know that she will tell him...plus I have to work with my boss today so we shall see if he treats me any different. He's been a lot more considerate of what he says to me after the last time when he was the one that made me have a meltdown.

Yah I've been at this place for a long time a lot of people know me so that makes it a little easier. But I'm frustrated because like I know today is going to be a bad day too because we just had people quit, we aren't hiring yet and I am pretty sure the girl who called in yesterday is calling in again today. So that means its gonna be a lot like it was. You're right. Maybe i am overreacting to the situation. I just need to breath. Its not like i haven't melted down before at work this just a more public display than I am used to doing. I can usually go hide them. I guess I'm being childish I shouldn't worry so much what other people think I've been there for a long time and worked with most of these people for years. I just don't want it getting back to people I know will make fun of me. (I work in place filled with teenagers and college students its not bad but it does tend toward people being cruel.

I think you need to talk to your boss and let him or her know your concerns about being made fun of about it, also. Just because you work for them doesn't mean you're not a human any more, and you deserve to be treated with dignity and respect no matter what condition you have--even if you didn't have a condition. Your boss needs to know so you're not put in a situation like that again. If you've worked there that long I'm sure you're of value to them. It's unfair for them to not know and it's unfair for you to keep it a secret from them. You need to work together and be honest to understand one another. If anyone makes fun of you, don't worry about it. This is going to sound harsh--but they probably already say crap about you anyways, the ones that are going to be nasty. Nasty people are just nasty. It's what they do. If they want to be rude, they're probably already doing it somehow, saying something anyways. Screw them. Look around. I bet they do things you can laugh at, too. Breathe. Get over it. Talk to your boss, let it out, tell them your worries, and you need to realize that crying wasn't that much of a bad thing. You had a big situation, you reacted naturally to stress, and even if it was scary--you faced it. It's over! If people can't understand that you're a person who reacted with emotions like *humans do*--they're the ones with the problem.

I think you need to talk to your boss and let him or her know your concerns about being made fun of about it, also. Just because you work for them doesn't mean you're not a human any more, and you deserve to be treated with dignity and respect no matter what condition you have--even if you didn't have a condition. Your boss needs to know so you're not put in a situation like that again. If you've worked there that long I'm sure you're of value to them. It's unfair for them to not know and it's unfair for you to keep it a secret from them. You need to work together and be honest to understand one another. If anyone makes fun of you, don't worry about it. This is going to sound harsh--but they probably already say crap about you anyways, the ones that are going to be nasty. Nasty people are just nasty. It's what they do. If they want to be rude, they're probably already doing it somehow, saying something anyways. Screw them. Look around. I bet they do things you can laugh at, too. Breathe. Get over it. Talk to your boss, let it out, tell them your worries, and you need to realize that crying wasn't that much of a bad thing. You had a big situation, you reacted naturally to stress, and even if it was scary--you faced it. It's over! If people can't understand that you're a person who reacted with emotions like *humans do*--they're the ones with the problem.

You're right. Its hard to speak to my boss about stuff though because he tends to act like he's not in charge. He purposely does stuff to annoy the hell out of me. Like I said I've worked there along time (11yrs). You're right I know they already talk about me to some degree. Thanks though. I would talk to my boss, I suppose I could talk to my supervisors boss but that could create and issue that I don't want. You're right I need to breathe. Its been a long time since I've gotten that upset at work and had a big meltdown (a big meltdown for me anyway). If you have ever worked in retail you know that being treated like a human is optional by customers, its ok though. I'm doing a lot better. Most of the people I work with have worked with me for years and don't bat a lash at my behavior. Its only a few that I worry about most strongly. Thank you though. I appreciate the support though.

One of my favorite words ever!!!!!! :D

About the post, people gossip and theres nothing that can be done to stop it. The part we can control is if people actually believe the gossip and how we react to it when we hear it 3rd or 4th hand. After my dad died I spent the next week at work heavily drunk and the rumors spread from my work site to the offices, so whenever I went to one of our offices and they'd ask Id say things like "Roy told you that? Has he told you any of his other conspiracy theories?" and then laugh sarcastically. It takes away the credibilaty. Yes, its kind of like lying. I dont think its morally right to do but I've done it. Cold hard truth is people talk at the work place, all we can do is react to whats already been said. I hope this helps and I hope things go alright for you!

One of my favorite words ever!!!!!! :D

About the post, people gossip and theres nothing that can be done to stop it. The part we can control is if people actually believe the gossip and how we react to it when we hear it 3rd or 4th hand. After my dad died I spent the next week at work heavily drunk and the rumors spread from my work site to the offices, so whenever I went to one of our offices and they'd ask Id say things like "Roy told you that? Has he told you any of his other conspiracy theories?" and then laugh sarcastically. It takes away the credibilaty. Yes, its kind of like lying. I dont think its morally right to do but I've done it. Cold hard truth is people talk at the work place, all we can do is react to whats already been said. I hope this helps and I hope things go alright for you!

Ahhh thanks its a great word isn't it?

As to the talking in the work place I suppose you are right. Its going better at work. I just try to breath more. Its just if I trusted my boss I would just come right out and be like look I have AS. But he would tease me relentlessly I know he would. As he has done on many occasions about my allergies ( I have a few weird allergies to things like the purrell hand sanitizer, and red dye 40, 3, and 4 and a lot of preservatives). I know I know I need to let it go. I need to breath through it. I guess I am upset that it all might get back to my ex-friend who works there too and she'll think I'm even more crazy (as she didn't know I had AS until recently because I feel very strongly that people don't need to know unless I decide that it would be helpful but most of them have known me for damn near the entire time I've worked there. Thank you for your support. Like I said its been a long long time since I've reacted that badly to a situation. I sincerely thank you for your support.

New Threads

Top Bottom