• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Medication Recomendations

Hi, me again, any of you had any luck with specific medications? I was prescribed to what I thought was valium, but it is in fact paxil. The side effects scared me and I stopped taking it. I have always been against medication, but lately its not cutting it. I have set up a meeting with a medical marijuana advocate for later in the week, but I am already anticipating being turned away. I have INSANE anxiety and I need to try to get a handle on it, I feel like if I could get my **** together I could get a job, but I can't pass in interview with out looking/being uncomfortable.

I take lamotrigine. It has helped me with racing thoughts. I've had insane anxiety all my life also, and my doctor prescribes me diazepam. For some reason, the psych people don't like the mild sedatives and seem to prefer heavy anti-psychotics like Zyprexa. I have trouble sleeping, and I've been prescribed Lunestra for that. All in all, I try to keep the meds to a minimum, or at least the meds with heavy side-effects

Sathington, unfortunately there's no one-size-fits-all medication. It's a trial and error thing - what works for some people doesn't work for others, and works for you now, may not work for you later. Millie, psych people don't like diazepam because people develop tolerance to it. I'll have to look into that lamotrigine, as I could do with something to help with the racing thoughts. I've been taking gabapentin for that, but it doesn't seem to have worked all that well. Like I said, lots of trial-and-error.

Interesting - I just read that lamotrigine is an anti-epileptic, just like gabapentin, so I'm guessing at a lower dosage it is supposed to have a similar effect to gabapentin on racing thoughts. I'll be seeing a new psychiatrist on Monday, so I'll have to ask him about it :)

I don't trust doctors to know what they're doing in regards to psychiatry.

If a cancer medication doesn't work, you die. In other fields like physics, if the calculations aren't correct the experiment fails. You don't land on the moon.

Psychiatry is easily abused, it's not black and white. It's terribly convoluted and the studies easily manipulated. Same with psychology and some other medical sciences. So, i don't know. If you really want some drugs then make sure to keep your wits about you and be careful.

I remember being taught that doctors are always 100% trustworthy and respectable but then I realised they are humans like everyone else. You can't just trust them due to their status and shouldn't take everything they say solely on their word. Some psychiatrists are given 'gifts' (non-monetary bribes) by the pharmaceutical companies by how many people they prescribe a certain medication. Is that ethical? This is documented, it's not some conspiracy ********.

I was on fluvoxamine (ssri) for a year around age 14/15 and I regret it. The doctor wasn't ill intentioned and more than anything it was my idiot mum was pushing me to be on them, even though she doesn't understand the first thing about raising a child, mental health, medication or the world. Or me. Or why we never got along. Coming off of that **** was one of the best things I've ever done. I felt ****ing amazing for days after coming off. I was so ****ing talkative and my mind felt like it was becoming more energetic and alive. I FELT MUCH HAPPIER. More excited. More able to enjoy life. I wonder what I missed out on during the year of being wrongly drugged. I can't know what I missed. I don't know what life long effects it has had. What paths weren't taken. etc

Even recently I have been seeing a doctor that thinks it's ok to bring up medications even after I have said no. He wasn't aggressive but still, it's unwanted. Also there's a difference between being taught something to be fact (taking it for granted) and actually understanding it. What does he actually know...? And why would I assume he knows anything? What am I basing it on?

Drugging people (especially children!!!!!) seems like a poor 'band-aid' method to fix the ills of a sick society and the mental illness they should never have experienced. Seems like every single thing government does is a band-aid method. No one ever looks at the root cause of anything. So stupid.

Ehmagerd,
Unfortunately psychiatry is not the exact science that physics is. Therefore there isn't always a clear "right" calculation. I'm not saying you should always trust doctors - like you said, they're human and subject to manipulation. However, I don't think drugs are always the wrong choice. Some people have chemical imbalances that are not easily corrected otherwise. Is there a tendency to overmedicate in certain circumstances? Absolutely, but that doesn't invalidate all drugs in all cases.

New Threads

Top Bottom