• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Medical Alert Bracelets

OkRad

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην
V.I.P Member
I am confused about the bracelets vs cards.

A fear I have is that I will have a medical event and they will think I have mental illness and drug me. I have many drug allergies. The card does not list them,

For those of you who have bracelets:

1. Many I saw where metal and my sensory issues would preclude that. Here is one I saw that is NOT metal. (see below) Would this take too long to open in an emergency ?

2. Who do you show? I go to several places daily as part of my routine and one is a gym. Would you show people at a gym that you trusted so that they might be able to help communicate if you were down?

3. Would you tell people at other places you went a lot like a church or library?

4. Would you tell other family?

I am embarassesd but not too much.

Here is one that has no metal and a puch to list stuff. I read that the scanner ones are not good because not all responders can scan them. I like this so you can update it as you will.

Black Adjustable Medical ID Bracelet | Lauren's Hope

Here is one where the metal does NOT touch your wrist! This may help for those of us with really bad sensory issues. Please post if you find one or use one that does NOT touch the body. Grrrrrrrr. They are all for people who don't mind being touched.

Black Wide Basket Weave Leather Medical ID Bracelet

Both my spouse and I have something like a dog tag, made of metal. Also a plastic card which we carry in our wallet, it lists our medical conditions and allergies. We keep the metal tag in our wallets too, as well, in the car, I have one on my set of keys as well as does my spouse.

Had the tags made by an engraver locally for ten dollars, as real medic alert bracelets in canada cost upwards of three hundred dollars, which I think includes some service.

Think maybe if you go to a place like a gym locally, they might have a membership file on you. Give them a card that lists your medical conditions for your file, this is commonly done. Don't know about the library or church though.

Looks like there are other kinds as well:

images
images
images
images

Last edited:
Both my spouse and I have something like a dog tag, made of metal. Also a plastic card which we carry in our wallet, it lists our medical conditions and allergies. We keep the metal tag in our wallets too, as well, in the car, I have one on my set of keys as well as does my spouse.

Had the tags made by an engraver locally for ten dollars, as medic alert bracelets in canada cost upwards of three hundred dollars.

Think maybe if you go to a place like a gym locally, they might have a membership file on you. Give them a card that lists your medical conditions for your file, this is commonly done. Don't know about the library or church though.

Looks like there are other kinds as well:

images
images
images
images

These are great! I love that black one. I cannot find it. Where did it come from?

$300??!!! Oh dear. They are about $50 here for a nice leather one. I like your idea better.

THank you for the tip about the gym. I will give it to them to see. They are nice over there. AND to keep one in the car and on keychain! Good tips!!!

If you have a smart phone, you can create a Medical ID that can be accessed when the phone is locked. I think medical professionals are aware of these and will look for them.

Should we get one just because we are Aspies, I wonder?

I'm about as useful as a toddler when I'm under enough stress. I just repeat unhelpful words and act in a way that can be very misleading to medical professionals.

Should we get one just because we are Aspies, I wonder?

I'm about as useful as a toddler when I'm under enough stress. I just repeat unhelpful words and act in a way that can be very misleading to medical professionals.

In a tough situation with a less-than-cooperative citizen would the police be the ones to observe such a person is wearing such a bracelet, or would they simply shoot them the second they raised a hand to an arresting officer?

I'm honestly not sure. Though I do know for a fact the local police do have training courses they can take regarding having to deal with autistic citizens. It all makes me wonder just how many police officers actually take a visual queue if they noticed someone wearing a medical bracelet?

I wear a stainless steel one and have a card in my wallet, also have ID alert set up on my phone so all bases are covered I think.

New Threads

Top Bottom