• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Math

Berianireth

I was thinking about posting this earlier today while I was at work.
I have "odd" math as a result of my ASD. I tend to pick up on aspects of math that other people aren't interested in, and I do not multiply or divide in my head without "feeling the burn" so to speak. I was placed in alternative classes as a child because I seemed challenged by the classroom environment, but I'm not sure at what point math became an issue. I know I had governor's recognition awards in all subjects up until I was in fourth grade, and then suddenly math became a problem. I never learned my times tables in their entirety and I could not or would not write out math problems as instructed to.
I was watching a TED talk where Temple Grandin mentions that she had extreme difficulty with Algebra, which is something I excelled in in College after failing basic math. Unlike Temple Grandin I went on to try many other maths, and I've discovered that I'm just too weird for most of my instructor's tastes.
Any other Aspies have this issue? Is it inborn, can you turn it off if you try really hard to figure out what other people are doing with the stuff?
I'm still deliberating about when and where to pencil in my multiplication table self-instruction. In all honesty it's ridiculous that I don't have my times tables memorized and the variety of mishaps that it could spell in terms of communicating with my co-workers and students terrifies me.

You've just recounted my early academic biography! I did great in math up until around the time I had to do algebra. Part of it had to do with the fact that I had truly lousy instructors, but some of it also might have had to do with my Nonverbal Learning Disorder. In any case, the only math subject at which I excelled was Geometry...and given my linear AS thinking, I was very good at proofs...and, true to the NLD, I always wrote them out in paragraph form. I still struggle with math, though I've been trying to teach myself some basic algebra of late. I blame part of the problem on the "arts vs. science" false dichotomy (I am a classically trained musician), and of course the NLD, but also just a failure to be truly inspired by math as a field. That was something, incidentally, that my high school geometry teacher was successful at...but unfortunately, past that, I failed to have any appreciation for the subject, and therefore didn't put in the effort...and I certainly needed a lot of effort when it came to Algebra! I passed Algebra by the skin of my teeth senior year; I think my teacher was feeling particularly charitable. :p

I've always had a funny knack for picking up on things like SIN, TAN, etc and remembering ratios. In stats I was great at remembering computer commands but I had trouble remembering how to find quartiles. I see what you mean. I have always like verbal logic and I did well in philosophy courses, but I can't seem to pick up on the nuances of most of the logics used in mathematics. I'm glad I didn't have trouble with college level algebra or I never would have made sense to anyone! I can only thank my calculator though.

I never even got as far as Trig or Stats in high school, so at least for that, good on ya!

Thanks. I actually didn't get past fractions and the coordinate plane until College (University). I was not able to work without a calculator well enough to get the go ahead. I've improved a lot, but that's probably because I decided to invite myself into the sciences.

I took a lot of math courses as well as physics, chemistry and quantitative biology courses requiring multivariable calculus. My problem with math was that I skipped prerequisites. The biggest problem I had was never taking trigonometry that caused me no end of problems. I also frequently made dumb calculation mistakes that led to a wrong answer.

I still regret the gaping knowledge holes that deny me a real true depth of mathematical understanding.

I was thinking about posting this earlier today while I was at work.
I have "odd" math as a result of my ASD. I tend to pick up on aspects of math that other people aren't interested in, and I do not multiply or divide in my head without "feeling the burn" so to speak. I was placed in alternative classes as a child because I seemed challenged by the classroom environment, but I'm not sure at what point math became an issue. I know I had governor's recognition awards in all subjects up until I was in fourth grade, and then suddenly math became a problem. I never learned my times tables in their entirety and I could not or would not write out math problems as instructed to.
I was watching a TED talk where Temple Grandin mentions that she had extreme difficulty with Algebra, which is something I excelled in in College after failing basic math. Unlike Temple Grandin I went on to try many other maths, and I've discovered that I'm just too weird for most of my instructor's tastes.
Any other Aspies have this issue? Is it inborn, can you turn it off if you try really hard to figure out what other people are doing with the stuff?
I'm still deliberating about when and where to pencil in my multiplication table self-instruction. In all honesty it's ridiculous that I don't have my times tables memorized and the variety of mishaps that it could spell in terms of communicating with my co-workers and students terrifies me.

I've always been drawn to math, though it wasn't until I was grown I actually started learning it. When I was little, I didn't bother learning my times tables until fifth grade, and I struggled to pass higher-level stuff, because I hadn't bothered with learning the basics. An example: I had one of the highest scores in the US on the PSAT for Reading the year I took the test, but I scored in the 30th percentile in Math.

And then I took the ASVAB.

See, I was trying to enlist in the Navy (go NAVY!), and I took the ASVAB. I studied for only three days, and I scored so high, my recruiter recommended me for the Nuclear field [which is basically the way to fast-track advancement (they don't officially call it "promotion" for enlisted folk) in the enlisted community.] Unfortunately, I failed the medical exam at MEPS and wasn't able to get any waivers, so I didn't have the privilege of enlisting, but that's a different story.

I discovered I could do math, and from that time on I've been teaching myself. Sometimes slowly, because I can go into depressive episodes where I don't have the motivation to do anything, but I'm still working on it. I'm in calculus now.

The one thing that scares me more than anything academically, though, is proofs. I haven't worked up the courage to start honing my proof-writing skills.

New Threads

Top Bottom