• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Marbles

BIMOG

Noivilbo Kees I : Я ищу забвение
I'm not obsessed with marbles but my small companion Ixy, who is too young to join this forum, is totally obsessed with Victorian glass marbles. I think that it might be the astonishing variations of patterns that exist in these small glass objects that appeals to him. I do know that he can get lost for hours gazing at the cosmos that he sees inside these little spheres of glass. So on his behalf I'll ask, does anyone else collect or like marbles?

eQXrOse.jpg

I LOVE marbles. I kept mine stored away in a box for years. Now they have a place of honor in my living room. When I feel overwhelmed, I take them off the table and dump them on the floor. I have some that have stories like "the first one I won" or "lucky winner." And some that are just cool to look at and hold. I pick them up and it calms me down. I think I would like to learn how to work with glass.

Yes, I also completely and utterly love marbles. I have a small collection from my childhood that I keep tucked away in a drawer. one of my self soothing behaviours is looking through translucent objects, and marbles fit that category. In them I can see vastness, oblivion, infinity. They calm me when I look at them closely. When I was younger, the variations of colour, the bubbles, twists, twirls and patterns were of seemingly never ending fascination. :) I also have some that were my fathers when he was a child, and they are the opaque kind, very chipped and well loved.

I found a small antique box when going through my grandmother's things after her death. When I opened it, I was delighted to see about a dozen marbles from around 1920. :) I have them in my 'specials' box.
When my kids were little I loved playing with the marbles and blocks: we would build large, elaborate marble runs.

kestrel

We built marble runs, too.
It was with surprise I saw tv ads for prebuilt plastic runs.
What fun would that be? (Not as much, it seemed to me.)

I have a few clay marbles of my father's, all the marbles I found
on the school yard from when I was little, and a strange big thing
that my grandfather gave me for a boulder. It is about 2 inches
across, clear, with a white ram inside.

Boys and a few girls played marbles on the play ground, but I
really didn't enjoy that. First there was the element of 'keeps'----
I never wanted to play for 'keeps.' Second, I didn't like the marbles
to bump against each other and possibly be chipped. Making marble runs
and sorting the marbles into groups (cat eyes, puries, steelies etc)
was more fun.

I've never collected marbles, but I used to be quite the little corvid with rocks in general. The gift shops at places like museums, science centers, caves, and zoos really piqued my interest with those little bags where you can scoop up some rocks to take home. And I tend to buy those bags meant for home decorations or certain fish tanks. They all tend to actually stay put when you put them down, unlike marbles that try to flee for the hills. Well, valleys. But I do have an appreciation for marbles and I have a peanut butter lid that holds my entire collection of 10 pretty marbles. I'm thinking about taking one of the little clear ones and putting it in my D&D bag, and calling it my little crystal ball. :D

I'm thinking about taking one of the little clear ones and putting it in my D&D bag, and calling it my little crystal ball. :D

I like that idea. :) I was just thinking this morning about my polyhedral dice and how they are all translucent as well. Must be translucent. :D

I like that idea. :) I was just thinking this morning about my polyhedral dice and how they are all translucent as well. Must be translucent. :D
D&D dice are multi-functional marbles and rocks. :yum:
One of mine is red with white numbers, a gift from a friend. Another is a beautiful purple and silver mottling like, well, marble.

I'm looking for my little dice collection so I can post a picture but I seem to have hidden it away a little too well.:oops:

D&D dice are multi-functional marbles and rocks. :yum:
One of mine is red with white numbers, a gift from a friend. Another is a beautiful purple and silver mottling like, well, marble.

My husband has a big collection that he has amassed over twenty five years, and he has those "toxic" dice like you describe. This site is excellent for drooling over dice: https://www.thediceshoponline.com. In the bottom right you can choose any kind of finish you'd like to look at. :)

My husband has a big collection that he has amassed over twenty five years, and he has those "toxic" dice like you describe. This site is excellent for drooling over dice: https://www.thediceshoponline.com. In the bottom right you can choose any kind of finish you'd like to look at. :)
Cool! I didn't know that site existed. Mine is actually the Chessex Gemini Purple/Steel set. I used to keep all my marbles in with my dice. And some other pretty things, but if I mention them, I'm liable to derail this thread even further if we have any kind of magick folks around here. :yum:

Cool! I didn't know that site existed. Mine is actually the Chessex Gemini Purple/Steel set. I used to keep all my marbles in with my dice. And some other pretty things, but if I mention them, I'm liable to derail this thread even further if we have any kind of magick folks around here. :yum:

Hehe...
This is the set I got a few months ago. Feels like sea glass, which I used to collect in earlier years. :) https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/759/Chessex-Blue-Frosted-7-Dice-Polyset

Now back to marbles. :D

I've loved orbs--too big to be marbles--since childhood. I have a dark purple one, two glass ones (look like planets Mars and Uranus, with an arty twist), a baseball covered with Van Gogh quotes, and a Peruvian knitted ball. The latter is a comfort object visually and tactilely, but they all can bring me a little more inside myself.

I found them. :)

image.jpeg

The opaque ones were my father's. I always loved the brown and one, that reminded me of cola, which is a pretty drink to look through if you have a penchant for long through translucent/transparent things. :)

One of them is a pendant. The marble isn't good quality but I kept the pendant because I used to marbles depending on my mood and thought I might like to wear it again one day. Haven't yet. I should give it to my son, who is nuts about marbles and marble runs. (There is a potential pun in there but I won't pursue it. :D)

You might all laugh at this one, but I drink & collect single malt scotch and I am obsessed with not letting my whiskey oxidize which starts to happen the second that air enters the bottle. Some people fight this with the use of argon or another inert heavy gas which creates a blanket / shield between their product and the atmosphere, but I've chosen to displace the air in all my whiskey bottles (with marbles) as I drink it.

So, in a very indirect way I collect marbles too: I probably have 40,000-50,000 clear glass, 3/8" diameter marbles here in my house........

Attachments

• Marbles.jpg
    Marbles.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 247
I LOVE marbles. I had so many as a kid. My mom sold them (as well as my LEGOs) to families in need of cost-friendly Christmas gifts for children when I was living in Asia. I am torn because although it went to a good cause, I really loved them and didn't know she did that...

She kept the box of rocks, though. :)

It was with surprise I saw tv ads for prebuilt plastic runs.
What fun would that be? (Not as much, it seemed to me.)

I had one of those...you can take them apart and put them together in many different ways. Which I did. :) What did you make them out of?

I'm torn. On one hand there's no denying the beauty and allure of marbles. On the other... I have a phobia of choking; a phobia that is so strong that I get anxiety whenever I'm around small (smaller than my hand) objects, out of a completely irrational fear that I'll "go crazy" and try to swallow them.

I understand how "exposure therapy" works and I've done it to myself before when it came to mild fears (such as teaching myself to touch the trash can with my hands instead of my prehensile toes in order to get over my fear of germs).

But when it comes to my fear of choking, I am very reluctant to do exposure with the small objects that cause me such anxiety.

Sorry for derailing the thread. :/

New Threads

Top Bottom