• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Marble Machine

That has to be the most creative instrument I've ever seen! I love it ;) This popped up off the same feed. Doesn't even seem real.. Haha

Last edited:
Old mechanical music machines had one of the earliest forms of a computer programme that run from binary punched sheets, this appears to use nails in a similar way instead of the punched holes which can be added or removed depending on what you want the machine to do on large wheels. I will say however that I'm sceptical it sounds quite as good as what we are hearing on the video which appears to have a dubbed studio soundtrack, but the machine itself does appear to be genuine.

Here is an article that explains a lot more about this machine and how it works, it also talks about other marble machines and it includes some interesting videos:

Martin Molin tells all on his Marble Machine

I wonder how reliable it is, with flying marbles and so many carefully balanced mechanical parts there's obviously a chance things could occasionally go wrong, but the machine in the 2nd video added by @Major Tom looks much more likely to be something that could go terribly wrong even if there was just the slightest wear on any of the parts or change of alignment, in fact it's possible that even a draft or change in temperature could cause a catastrophic failure on a machine like this and many failures must have happened throughout testing, imagine the determination and work involved to get a machine like that working perfectly on such a delicate balance. Both machines are certainly very impressive however, I used to build much simpler marble machines when I was a very young child, sometimes I'd even use Lego.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom