• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Losing interest in games, movies and writing.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
In sobriety, I find myself losing interest in the usual things that brought me some degree of comfort in isolation.

Is this something I should bring up to my psychiatrist next week?

I spend most of my free time these days looking at social media obsessively, and that can’t be healthy. I get a dopamine rush every time a post of mine gets a “like”. It is designed to suck the life out of the masses.

Maybe a period of Internet detox would be a good idea. I was planning such a period anyway since I am leaving my laptop at home during my vacation and I plan on not hooking my phone up to the beach house rental’s Wi-Fi.

If you don’t hear from me much over the next month, it won’t necessarily be a bad thing. Just saying’.

Hi Metalhead,

Sorry to hear you're going through a bit of a rough time. You could be just going through a bit of a transition period, getting used to the new you.

I agree with you about the internet sometimes being unhealthy, that also becomes an addiction for many people. I never use any social media yet I still spend a fair amount of time on the net.

Do you read many books? Ebooks on the laptop might give you something different to catch your interest for a while.

Do you feel yourself losing interest in those things out of a sort of depression or more of a natural release from their usual hold on you? Perhaps, you're in the process of transitioning to new interests. Perhaps, you only need a break.

Hi Metalhead,

Sorry to hear you're going through a bit of a rough time. You could be just going through a bit of a transition period, getting used to the new you.

I agree with you about the internet sometimes being unhealthy, that also becomes an addiction for many people. I never use any social media yet I still spend a fair amount of time on the net.

Do you read many books? Ebooks on the laptop might give you something different to catch your interest for a while.
I used to read a lot of novels when I was in middle and high school. I wonder why I ever stopped doing that.
Do you feel yourself losing interest in those things out of a sort of depression or more of a natural release from their usual hold on you? Perhaps, you're in the process of transitioning to new interests. Perhaps, you only need a break.
Depression. I can’t watch a movie without thinking about people I know who I would want to watch it with. I can’t play a game because most of my games are SP and I am uncomfortable in my own skin. Social media gives the illusion of interaction, but it is just an illusion at the end of the day. At least I am no longer drinking over this.

Contact here isn't an illusion, it's just different. But taking a break from Internet could be freeing in terms of helping you relax. I wonder how that will feel? I hope you have a good holiday, it's an interesting plan you have made for it, sounds you may be a bit nervous about how it all will go, having a holiday with your friend?

Contact here isn't an illusion, it's just different. But taking a break from Internet could be freeing in terms of helping you relax. I wonder how that will feel? I hope you have a good holiday, it's an interesting plan you have made for it, sounds you may be a bit nervous about how it all will go, having a holiday with your friend?
I am aware that contact here is not illusionary. I was referring more to Facebook and Reddit and gaymer websites.

My time with my friend will be great. Getting away from the more hysterical forms of social media will also be great.

Back in November when I had a stressful time with a friend, I did a partial digital detox with my Instagram account... At the time it was exactly what I needed

I do know that some people transition between hobbies, and other people do the same hobby for many years (I would be in latter camp) :rolleyes:

But I suppose be open to something different

Outdoor time and exercise do wonders. Gets you off the screen and the endorphins pumping. Wish I could get more in but family and work get in the way. Are there any sports or activities you like? Biking, hiking and disc golf are mine, I've been thinking about picking up martial arts as well. You could look into local groups in your area?

For what it's worth, it aint just you... social media is very literally designed to produce this exact effect. Getting you to engage with JUST Facebook or Twitter or whatnot, to the exclusion of all else, is what they really want from you. It's one of the reasons why I always tell people to dump those things entirely.

It doesnt matter WHAT your interests are, the addictive qualities of social media can and will override those.

My solution would not just be a detox sort of thing... more like, go cold turkey entirely. Dump the social media all at once and for good. It aint helping you, it aint helping anyone around you, it is only causing you trouble. As it is meant to.

Your depression may originally stem from isolation, but social media feeds into it (again, it's designed to) and creates a hideous feedback loop. Break that loop, and you may not only find your original interests being interesting again, but it may also lead you to new avenues of interaction with others within those interests. Right now, you cant do that. Too much social media time for that.

Any time you feel the urge to check one of those things, force yourself to do something else from one of your interests instead... even if you dont feel like it. Do it anyway. And go outside and do outdoor things too, get some real sunlight.

And dont forget also: you're gonna learn to drive. Once you've done that, you've got the tool you need to connect to others however you want.

Walks, exercise, working with my hands...all seem to help me shift focus. But that's me.

Shifting focus and working in other areas, whether welding, wood crafting, puzzles, etc...then when you feel it's time to get up...go for a walk or exercise. I try to do different things...which is not very easy for me...I like my routines and what I do, so I have force myself to abandon what I'm currently working on and take a break.

My clinical depression ebbs and flows.

When it flows...I expect to have a diminished interest in those pursuits in which I have a passion for. That's when I rationalize it all, knowing that it doesn't last. That I just have to accept it as a cyclical aspect of my existence.

As they say, "This too shall pass".

Sobriety has a habit of thrusting you out of your escapist loop, and I think that's why a lot of people relapse. My favorite interests were gaming and mindlessly surfing the internet when I was a drinker, but both of them became immediately boring AF the moment I stopped. I had to move onto special interests (even creating some of them on impact) just so I could cope with reality and downtime again, along with grounding myself. Movies, games and surfing the internet were just far too passive and I'm a highly-creative individual without alcohol, so the contrast was like a complete identity crisis and I thought I was seriously losing my mind at the time.

With that said, this site (as amazing as it is) has become a negative feedback loop for me because I'll often post here in my spare time instead of deep-diving into my interests, immersing myself within them and learning more about them like I'd normally be doing when I'm alone. Maybe this will be the last push I need to just let it go and move on, but that addictive loop can really dig its hooks into you, especially when it's coming from a place of procrastination, or avoiding uncomfortable feelings that the universe is urging us to endure and learn from.

Last edited:
I notice l cycle thru interests. They never leave me, l just take a break. Then l want the same books, the same cooking shows on You Tube, and the same gym routine.

So maybe you need a break, then just pick one of the 3, and decide if you still want to do it. Maybe you only want to game. Right now with the cold weather, l really enjoy snuggling down with a good movie, the blankets up to my ears, and just relaxation. But once the warm weather comes back, l don't want to watch movies anymore.

New Threads

Top Bottom