• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for help

That has not been my experience. I have had quacks declare that
  • only ASD2/3 is autism,
  • autism is only a childhood diagnosis &
  • even they grow out of it in adulthood...!?
They insisted that I should abandon my official Aspergers diagnosis for their preferred (and pharmaceutically lucrative) diagnosis of schizotypal personality disorder.

If he does not recognize the OP's neurodiversity, what standard of recovery is he shooting for?
He did not express he does not recognize it, just that he does not label people. If it would be a hint, to me it would be like, let's not talk about it, at most, but I could not be sure about it until I pressed. Honestly the person seems to have spoken multiple times about it, but I'm also not sure if the psychologist thought the person was satisfied with the answer or the reason why they said it was because they were self conscious about it. The psychologists where I live aren't allowed to diagnose people. I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, but here you need to be a psychiatrist for that. Maybe they can be both and then do it.

It seems to me like the psychiatrist/psychologist thought you had a wrong diagnosis, possibly because they were not able to recognize all the other traits, and they were allowed to diagnose you, I'm sorry to hear. It seems like a lot of things have happened to you in terms of having a lot of bad experiences.

Partly schizotypal has a difference, but this is very prevalent on the spectrum from what I have seen, they say we're supposed to desire to make friends, but naturally we end up not wanting to, losing interest, looking down upon others and giving up the desire to connect with them due to bad experiences. Perhaps that is where some of the confusion came from. The data in the DSM is probably not perfect, and a lot is missing, like what comes with the spectrum in terms of illnesses, skin sensitivity, etc. In communities we are way more in theme with the patterns and nuances, especially because of our autism easily noticing it.

A doctor without experience and without good studies could easily say it's not enough to diagnose it, that it was a wrong diagnosis is even worse. They said that a lot to one of my exes on the spectrum, he just couldn't get a diagnosis, regardless how much he showed as autistic to me. Sometimes you can be certain, especially if you've been with a person for a while. That was in a free diagnosis clinic in US. I'm pretty sure part of the lack of diagnosis was due to him not being lvl 3.

I could probably qualify as lvl 2 due to my inabilities, far worse than my exes it seems sadly, but the regular person sees me as normal, because whenever I tell them I'm autistic they say I don't seem like it. So such a doctor could easily say I'm not.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom