• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Long term use of antidepressants equals severe withdrawal symptoms

Have you taken an antidepressant for 2 years or more?

• Yes, and I expect to take it forever

• Yes, but I plan to stop taking it in the future

• Yes, I stopped and have experienced negative reactions

• No, I do not take antidepressants

• Yes I stopped, but did not experience negative reactions.

• Yes I stopped, but did not experience negative reactions.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was put on Paxil (Aropax) when I was about 19 to deal with issues I was having but I had some nasty side effects including weight gain and it made me feel worse,I decided to stop taking it and unknown to me I ended up going through the worst withdrawals which I thought was a bad flu at the time,I haven’t been on anything since but I have learned more about Paxil and I heard it’s one of the most highly addictive medications out there.

Last edited:
I'm actually making an appointment to see the doctor today to get antidepressants. I've tried coping by myself, been having CBT since October and I am still spiralling. Its either this, drink or worse...

Proud of you for reaching out. Obviously you can read my thoughts about anti-depressants above, but the most important thing is that you are taking care of yourself. Remember you always have us if you need to talk.

I have taken various drugs over the years to treat anxiety, depression and insomnia. I stopped taking all of them and did suffer many withdrawal symptoms of varying intensity. Three years ago I was prescribed Seroquel on the understanding it was NON habit forming! Now I'm too scared to quit, especially after reading that article as most of those withdrawal symptoms are already problems for me. I'm furious with the psych who prescribed it!

Seroquil is such a nightmare. I took only the lowest dose prescription from 1998 to sept, 2017. I weaned myself off very slowly over 1 month by breaking up the pill into tiny portions. Severely disturbing nightmares for two weeks (never had them before), severe anxiety and restlessness. The worst is the insomnia....which was tortuous the first 4 months. I still have nightly insomnia nine months later!

The link with the people posting their withdrawals....there are over a thousand posts....many pages on the website. I have read them all. Many people were prescribed much larger doses. Their withdrawals make mine sound like nothing!

I weaned off Paxil too. That one is mentioned in The NY Times link.

I was put on Paxil (Aropax) when I was about 19 to deal with issues I was having but I had some nasty side effects including weight gain and it made me feel worse,I decided to stop taking it and unkown to me I ended up going through the worst withdrawals which I thought was a bad flu at the time,I haven’t been on anything since but I have learned more about Paxil and I heard it’s one of the most highly addictive medications out there.

Unfortunately, they are finding out that most of them are addictive. What shocks me is that these drugs were never tested as to being prescribed over long term. They were tested for short term use, but people take them for years and over lifetimes. Of coarse the drug companies rpkeep raking in profits.

As much as I am opposed to gratuitous medication I do think anti depressants do have a place in the short term. I've been emotionally stable for the last few years, but if I found myself at the bottom of the dark hole again, I would not hesitate to take them until I felt better. At least I now know which ones work for me and what the side effects are. I also know how to wean myself off them. (Unfortunately I now realise Seroquel is a different ball game)
I hope you find them helpful.

Did you read the New York Times link I posted in the opening thread? Paxil, Zoloft, and many more that are commonly prescribed are extremely difficult to stop taking - even after a short time.

I was on Paxil for a few years. Even if I would forget to take just one dose I would get severe dizziness/vertigo and headaches. When I quit completely it was like 6 months of hell. I'll never try anything like that again.

I ran out of my Paxil for 3 days once, before it got refilled. I had such severe itching for 2 solid days and nights, I thought I would scratch all my skin off. Utter hell.

Why does the poll not have a "yes and I have not experienced negative reactions"? Bit presumptuous that every single person will have had negative reactions when stopping them. I have just recently stopped antidepressants for anxiety as they are increasing my weight, and no negative reactions at all. I have stopped many different antidepressants previously (doctors trying to find one that both worked for anxiety and didn't have side effects) and I've rarely had an issue stopping them.

I just added a survey question just for people with no withdrawal. Please feel free to answer.

None of the above in your poll apply to me. I was on various antidepressants for about five years including Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, and Zoloft (not all at the same time) but didn't have any major issues going off them. It can equal severe withdrawal symptoms but doesn't for everyone.

I just added a survey question just for people with no withdrawal. Please feel free to answer.

Seroquil is such a nightmare. I took only the lowest dose prescription from 1998 to sept, 2017. I weaned myself off very slowly over 1 month by breaking up the pill into tiny portions. Severely disturbing nightmares for two weeks (never had them before), severe anxiety and restlessness. The worst is the insomnia....which was tortuous the first 4 months. I still have nightly insomnia nine months later!

The link with the people posting their withdrawals....there are over a thousand posts....many pages on the website. I have read them all. Many people were prescribed much larger doses. Their withdrawals make mine sound like nothing!

I weaned off Paxil too. That one is mentioned in The NY Times link.
You have just confirmed my biggest fear!

The only reason I continued taking Seroquel was because it made it possible to sleep after a lifetime of horrendous insomnia AND I was told it was non habit forming. I thought it was the answer to a prayer! I would literally die if it resulted in even more severe insomnia than ever before!
After reading about it yesterday I decided to try weaning myself off it and reduced my 100mg dose by about 10% last night. Virtually NO sleep all night! Now I really don't know whether it's better to keep taking it rather than suffer the horrors of withdrawal.:(

You have just confirmed my biggest fear!

The only reason I continued taking Seroquel was because it made it possible to sleep after a lifetime of horrendous insomnia AND I was told it was non habit forming. I thought it was the answer to a prayer! I would literally die if it resulted in even more severe insomnia than ever before!
After reading about it yesterday I decided to try weaning myself off it and reduced my 100mg dose by about 10% last night. Virtually NO sleep all night! Now I really don't know whether it's better to keep taking it rather than suffer the horrors of withdrawal.:(

Do you plan on taking it the rest of your life? Because you just might have to. I have been shuffling over the counter sleep aids for 9 months now including herbal remedies like Valerie’s and melatonin supplements. I just recently in my ninth month been able to occasionally fall asleep for around 3- 4 hours a night, a few times a week unaided by sleep aids. It’s getting better ...very slowly.

Do you plan on taking it the rest of your life? Because you just might have to. I have been shuffling over the counter sleep aids for 9 months now including herbal remedies like Valerie’s and melatonin supplements. I just recently in my ninth month been able to occasionally fall asleep for around 3- 4 hours a night, a few times a week unaided by sleep aids. It’s getting better ...very slowly.
I'm not sure what to do. I'm fundamentally opposed to taking meds forever so it would really go against the grain and that in itself causes stress, never mind the potential damage done by long term use!

I also just read an article where Astra Seneca paid $520 million in 2009 for two lawsuits against it over Seroquel!
It just gets worse!

“As a result of aggressive marketing, Seroquel has been increasingly used for children and elderly people for indications not approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Doctors are permitted to prescribe any approved drug for off-label uses.

Seroquel was the top-selling antipsychotic drug in America. It had $17 billion in sales in the United States since 2004, according to IMS Health, a research firm.”

AstraZeneca to Pay $520 Million to Settle 4 Seroquel Cases

I'm not sure what to do. I'm fundamentally opposed to taking meds forever so it would really go against the grain and that in itself causes stress, never mind the potential damage done by long term use!

I also just read an article where Astra Seneca paid $520 million in 2009 for two lawsuits against it over Seroquel!
It just gets worse!
After I was off Paxil I never again want to be on medication,it made me a lot worse and a while ago my aunt said that my other aunt told her during the time that I was on that medication that I was out of it,I rather deal with my anxiety or trauma without medication than be a complete zombie or worse become more depressed.

After I was off Paxil I never again want to be on medication,it made me a lot worse and a while ago my aunt said that my other aunt told her during the time that I was on that medication that I was out of it,I rather deal with my anxiety or trauma without medication than be a complete zombie or worse become more depressed.
The thing is, Seroquel is the only med I've been on that I haven't noticed any side effects besides the sedation - which in my case is a blessing! It may be that the withdrawals from coming off it may be much worse than the potential risk of staying on it. I just got back from talking to the doctor about it and he basically said exactly that. The health risks of chronic insomnia and the quality of life you experience are pretty horrendous! Insomnia and depression seem to go hand in hand with me and I'm loathe to go back down that path. Still trying to decide which way to go with this. Frypan or fire???

The thing is, Seroquel is the only med I've been on that I haven't noticed any side effects besides the sedation - which in my case is a blessing! It may be that the withdrawals from coming off it may be much worse than the potential risk of staying on it. I just got back from talking to the doctor about it and he basically said exactly that. The health risks of chronic insomnia and the quality of life you experience are pretty horrendous! Insomnia and depression seem to go hand in hand with me and I'm loathe to go back down that path. Still trying to decide which way to go with this. Frypan or fire???

Well, if it works for you then there is no reason to not take it. Just know that you will be on it for life, and that it was never tested for life long use, nor for any use beyond 6 months!

Most drugs aren’t.

New Threads

Top Bottom