• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Logic Plus

That part about being "discredited" at electronics is exactly what's impossible about getting a job via HR. A lot of employers love to be lied to, and it's the florid, convincing way that you do it that shows you have tact, subtlety and "peoiple skills". In a world where actually doing your job correctly has fallen by the wayside, that's the asset companies are investing in.
Peter Drucker noted that the most competent people hire the most competent help. An example would be Kelly Johnson's "Skunk Works" division at Lockheed, a small group which did quick work at pushing the envelope in aviation, but also seems to have drained the rest of the company for brains.
Peter also notes that second rate people live in fear of a more competent subordinates, so they hire 3rd rate employees. Those two ratings being the majority, most places are populated by people who learned to team up to cheat their way through school, and then into jobs.

I am also reminded of Jon Sirkis' summation of school: "We were being taught what to think instead of how." When calculators came in, it became trivial for consumers to compare payment plans and such. Math education was quickly destroyed with a focus on arcane number theory to discourage everyone from ever using it.

I've seen lots of YouTube videos listed and ads encouraging this new trendy thing of "manifesting" things into being. I never really watch them, but occasionally one auto plays. I seriously don't understand how we've now gotten to the point at which we as a species, think we can manifest physical objects or money into existence with the power of thought.
There was a very long gap between the idea of atoms, and our recent understanding of how they cohere. The breakthrough was A.A. Griffith's experiments with very thin fibers, and consequent search for the reasons that most things were weak, not strong like simpler chains of atoms. Before his time, the best steel was sometimes treated with the urine of goats fed on ferns, which was not entirely superstitious nonsense, but very laborious and not fully effective.

I think that to understand human society, we have to dig out the hidden communications as well as look at the physical manifestations. During our early years, we are a danger both to ourselves and others, and incapable to understand adult complexities. So, we are told white lies about Santa Claus, inspired with young, fictional heroes, and allowed to dream of fame and fortune. It helps us grow. Next, we develop a natural preference for "a good story." If we want apprentices to remember a safety rule, it is more memorable if embellished with exaggeration or a funny story about a violation. We also seem to be readily convinced by anything in rhyme, because that was the best way to keep a story from being changed in memory before we had writing.

So far, fiction is better than truth. However, children are also unable to fight with grownups, and so nearly all children experiment with lies as their only defense when they misbehave. If a talented kid has a gullible parent, they may make deception central to all their subsequent development. Gangs form up around mutual concealment and blackmail. The more the honest, cooperative people have been successful, the greater the rewards for the liars. However, I think we are quite overwhelmed by the vast riches they can accumulate even under agriculture, let alone industrialization.

The brain is a pattern-recognizing system, and it errs both in missing many, and in seeing others that are not true. Various cultures, and even some modern people think that the wind is caused by trees waving their branches. The American West used to have traveling "Rainmakers." They'd set up some fancy gadget to make it rain, and, if they didn't get run out of town, claim the credit when it did rain. Scientific observation is simple, but also rare and fragile. If it conflicts with an established lie, it has to wait a long time for an opportunity. Rather incongruously, that opportunity often involves humour - it is the surprise juxtaposition of two conflicting ideas that may finally get them a fair comparison.

Where there is a lot of money at stake, we are seeing the application of Herman Goering's maxim that if a lie is big enough, people will assume nobody would dare tell it if it was not true. I've seen dozens of government programs, and also some popular rallying cries that are actually about their exact opposites.

New Threads

Top Bottom