• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

When you are carrying a bag of trash to the trash container down the road, and your neighbours come ask you what you are doing?

My inner meanie wants to answer "I'm going on holiday" or something else as snarky.

Last edited:
Not sure if this counts as a pet peeve exactly but I couldn't think where else to post this, but here goes.
When a common autism symptom is its own disorder and so a child diagnosed with autism also gets diagnosed with a disorder that's an autism symptom anyway.
Like on YouTube there was a 3-year-old diagnosed with autism who also got diagnosed with OCD (not saying OCD is an autism symptom but the behaviours he was showing seemed more like autistic behaviours than OCD so might as well have just put it down to part of his autism, given his young age). He couldn't eat a yoghurt if the whole lid wasn't completely off, and he got stressed about it and refused to eat the yoghurt until all of the lid was removed.
The mother videoing it said that's why he was diagnosed with OCD, but the way I see it, I don't think it's fair to lumber too many diagnoses on a 3-year-old. If a 3-year-old seemed NT but had that same behaviour then yes, it could just be OCD. But given the toddler was autistic then this 'OCD' behaviour was more likely just part of his autism.

Not sure if this counts as a pet peeve exactly but I couldn't think where else to post this, but here goes.
When a common autism symptom is its own disorder and so a child diagnosed with autism also gets diagnosed with a disorder that's an autism symptom anyway.
Like on YouTube there was a 3-year-old diagnosed with autism who also got diagnosed with OCD (not saying OCD is an autism symptom but the behaviours he was showing seemed more like autistic behaviours than OCD so might as well have just put it down to part of his autism, given his young age). He couldn't eat a yoghurt if the whole lid wasn't completely off, and he got stressed about it and refused to eat the yoghurt until all of the lid was removed.
The mother videoing it said that's why he was diagnosed with OCD, but the way I see it, I don't think it's fair to lumber too many diagnoses on a 3-year-old. If a 3-year-old seemed NT but had that same behaviour then yes, it could just be OCD. But given the toddler was autistic then this 'OCD' behaviour was more likely just part of his autism.
If the kid had a pattern of showing "rituals" for everything where skipping a step results in a tantrum/meltdown, then the OCD co-morbid diagnosis makes sense. That is not something I do nor is it something my ASD kid does.

As an analogy, if you look at the symptoms of a cold, the symptoms can match pneumonia, flu, bronchitis, asthma, etc. A cold is not the same thing as pneumonia is not the same thing as the flu is not the same thing as asthma even though the possible symptoms might be a near total overlap between each disease.

New Threads

Top Bottom