• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Literally?!

She was being figurative when she said she literally wanted to pick up the computer tower and heave it on the floor. To me there is a difference. Did this turn into a double negative?

I am heaving a fur ball right now must exit. lol

I think for me,
the over use thus dilution and change of meaning for terms can rattle me.

Hearing someone describe themselves as 'depressed' when it's likely they may be just bored and becoming frustrated.

Hearing someone state "Oh my god, I had a full on melt down !"
to mean they perhaps reached a stage of feeling flustered. confused. But that's as far as it went.

And claiming "I've got OCD !" because they like things a bit tidy.
Get pleasure from a job well done in terms of organisation and completing a task to high standard, easily.

Agree with your post @Gracey

I've noticed a huge increase in people describing their frustration as a 'meltdown' and I find it offensive. Their head would 'literally explode' if they experienced a full blown autistic meltdown :D

The use of 'obviously' and 'basically' in the context that is neither obvious or basic really irritates me.

I used to sit next to someone at work who peppered every sentence with obviously and basically in an attempt to show a broad vocabulary. It had the opposite effect. She just looked as dim as some of the people who've attended the court of Judge Rinder (UK's version of Judge Judy), who also had an intense loathing of the misuse of obviously and basically.

Agree with your post @Gracey

I've noticed a huge increase in people describing their frustration as a 'meltdown' and I find it offensive. Their head would 'literally explode' if they experienced a full blown autistic meltdown :D

The use of 'obviously' and 'basically' in the context that is neither obvious or basic really irritates me.

I used to sit next to someone at work who peppered every sentence with obviously and basically in an attempt to show a broad vocabulary. It had the opposite effect. She just looked as dim as some of the people who've attended the court of Judge Rinder (UK's version of Judge Judy), who also had an intense loathing of the misuse of obviously and basically.

There is so much superfluous padding, filling, and fluff in our speech. The funny thing about the overuse of "basically" and "obviously" is that if something is basic or obvious, then the majority of the time it doesn't need to be stated (except when you're highlighting it for a specific rhetorical purpose or summing up many details into an overall point). The other one is "essentially." Ha! The unholy trinity: basically, obviously, and essentially. It's like when people say "it goes without saying." If it goes without saying, then why are you saying it? Same goes for the trinity.

Too right about meltdown. People never used to overuse hyperbole. If our minds were adrenal glands, we'd all have adrenal fatigue from the constant dramatics and extremes. Everything is awesome! epic! perfect! and if you're even slightly frustrated about something, then you're having a meltdown. The other thing that drives me nuts is the way women speak in the U.S.. Upspeak, vocal fry, the strange yoga-ish twisty way they pronounce words, the sarcastic accent (even when they aren't being sarcastic), and that guttural Valley girl drawl are all just...ugh. It makes them sound incredibly unintelligent. One of the worst: instead of saying "and," they squish and warp the "a" and drawl the whole thing out like this: I was like, literally having a meltdown, eeeeeeeeeeehyyynd then I obviously just like, didn't.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom