• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

List of dyslexia symptoms

Wireless

I've been trying to find a descent list of dyslexia symptoms on the internet, but haven't found anything very helpful so far. Everything seems to be very focused on the reading and writing issues and can be very vague about it. There's very little for adults.

What I would like and would find helpful is perhaps a list or a video rather than a large block of text to wade through. And it would be nice if it could be more specific with examples.

I'm looking for one because I feel that I don't really understand my own dyslexia. I have been diagnosed, but I don't have too much problem with reading and writing. It's more subtle and mild in my case.

Does anyone know of anything?
Does anyone else feel like this?

Thanks

Hi there

I just looked up mild form of dyslexia on youtube and tons of videos came up, so here is the link and you can do a bit of search for yourself: mild form of dyslexia - YouTube

I know two grown men who are dyslexic and both when reading, read words wrong.

I watched an indian film not so long ago about a boy with this and wow powerful indeed!

Hope you are successful in understanding what is going on!

I think I might have something, let me check my Pinterest. I remember pinning something a few days ago. I believe I also may have some form of Dyslexia. It would be so nice if I could receive help when I was a kid, so reading and writing wouldn't be stressful... but well... I've managed. I've come up with pretty much similar ideas to help myself as therapist might have come up with :)

ok, found some info (this might be for kids, but I'm sure you can still find some information useful)
Bright Solutions | What is Dyslexia?

dyslexia.jpg

some people find this font to be helpful (you can download it for free on your PC and use it for typing or whatnot)
Free OpenSource Dyslexia Font - OpenDyslexic

Thank you for your helpful replies and links.
Oddly, I do not have trouble reading. I don't experience the warping of text or jumbling letters, although occasionally I get A and E mixed up. This is rare though.

I've been trying to find a descent list of dyslexia symptoms on the internet, but haven't found anything very helpful so far. Everything seems to be very focused on the reading and writing issues and can be very vague about it. There's very little for adults.

What I would like and would find helpful is perhaps a list or a video rather than a large block of text to wade through. And it would be nice if it could be more specific with examples.

I'm looking for one because I feel that I don't really understand my own dyslexia. I have been diagnosed, but I don't have too much problem with reading and writing. It's more subtle and mild in my case.

Does anyone know of anything?
Does anyone else feel like this?

Thanks

Hi Wireless. I was diagnosed with dyslexia durring the last year of Uni (I'm on the UK). It's relitively mild for me too. I read more slowly than most, have difficulty remembering certain spellings, have problems organizing and ordering my thoughts and I sometimes muddle letters up durring writing.

The report I recieved after the test gave a couple of suggestions including that in order to learn spellings, repetative and thourough learning of them would be helpful and that I should be allowed assistance and extra time with dissertations.

I feel like I don't really understand my dyslexia thouroughly, but as I manage ok for eveyday stuff I've not really looked into understanding it better. I don't know what it's like not to have dyslexia, so I don't really know which bits of me are because of dyslexia, if that makes sense.

I thought that there may be the type of info your looking for on sites aimed at students in education and came accross the following site

British Dyslexia Association They also have a page called Indications, Hints and Tips: Secondary Alot of the info could be applied to an adult with dyslexia too.

Hi Wireless. I was diagnosed with dyslexia durring the last year of Uni (I'm on the UK). It's relitively mild for me too. I read more slowly than most, have difficulty remembering certain spellings, have problems organizing and ordering my thoughts and I sometimes muddle letters up durring writing.

The report I recieved after the test gave a couple of suggestions including that in order to learn spellings, repetative and thourough learning of them would be helpful and that I should be allowed assistance and extra time with dissertations.

I feel like I don't really understand my dyslexia thouroughly, but as I manage ok for eveyday stuff I've not really looked into understanding it better. I don't know what it's like not to have dyslexia, so I don't really know which bits of me are because of dyslexia, if that makes sense.

I thought that there may be the type of info your looking for on sites aimed at students in education and came accross the following site

British Dyslexia Association They also have a page called Indications, Hints and Tips: Secondary Alot of the info could be applied to an adult with dyslexia too.

Great resources, Vinca! The only thing is: I found it a little funny that somebody who provides information for people with Dyslexia uses font and text positioning that is not very easy to read :D Well... font might be OK, but the spacing between lines could have been larger :) Maybe I should send them an email :)

Thank you for your help, Vinca.
I am also in the UK, so this really helps. When I was assessed I wasn't given any suggestions or tips.

New Threads

Top Bottom