• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Let's talk about Atari 2600

William Mitchell

I like Atari 2600 a lot!
My favorite Atari 2600 Games are the Launch title games such as Video Olympics.
What Atari 2600 Games Do you like?

Atari should have made their computers backwards compatible wih 2600 or something. The computers came out in 1979 and had far better graphics and sound with a lot of the same games, and they also used cartridges.

The 2600 had so many great games, but it was already technologically backwards by like 1980-81

I remember I used to play ET all the time on my Atari. There was another game, similar to Space Invaders that I would play too.

Okay, let me show something here:

Disclaimer, the reason there's no sound is because I dont quite understand how to record this properly. There's full sound in the simulation.

So, this is what the 2600 has become for me, at this point. This program is one of the reasons I got an Oculus in the first place, and one of the reasons I got this overpowered PC. There's a seperate program that's all about recreating an 80s arcade, as I'm also a big fan of golden age arcade games.

But I use this one mostly for playing 2600 stuff, and NES. The video just shows off a few games and the general experience.... there's alot more to it (it can have all of those TVs active at once, for instance, and I can spawn in more.... not that this accomplishes much, how can one play 21 games at the same time?).

Yeah, I'm just that darned attached to these things.

Also, I'm one of those rare players that doesnt only focus on the well-known games. Something I've heard a few too many times is that there's only a few good games on the 2600. Well, no. Frankly, I like the vast majority of them. There's some absolute stinkers in the library, sure... like Firefly, that one's terrible. But there's a bazillion others that are plenty of fun, even if they never get any attention from anyone else. One of my old favorites is SpiderDroid. Nobody knows what the heck I'm talking about when I mention that one. Another one I tried the first time recently and quite liked is River Patrol (no, not River Raid, this is seperate). That's one odd game but it's a good time (and the real thing is apparently very rare).

And yes, I even like ET, and unlike most, I actually know how to play it.

I had alot of games as a kid, and still have all of them, there's cartridges all over my room even now. But currently, I mostly play them through the VR program. With the added benefit of literally all of the games in the library being in there. That's why the program is a bit choppy at first in the video, as it's trying to load all of the roms into that list. Why that slows it down, I dont know.

But also playing it via that is easier on my arm. Much as I love the original console, that controller gives me trouble now. Nerve/tendon issues, you see.

But yeah, I play these very often. I also have the big 2600 collection on the Switch. Not the best selection of games ever, but pretty good. I play that one alot when I'm travelling. I forget the exact name of it, look it up if you have a Switch. It comes with some arcade games, too.

Honestly I could rant about this subject for hours.

I've been playing Atari 2600 games through the emulator Stella on my computer. I use the original Atari 2600 joysticks and paddles connected to my computer with a USB adapter, and then I hook my computer to my TV with an HDMI cable. I also enjoyed Video Olympics. So simple and yet so fun. Currently, I'm playing the Atari 2600 version of Space Invaders.

I've been playing Atari 2600 games through the emulator Stella on my computer. I use the original Atari 2600 joysticks and paddles connected to my computer with a USB adapter, and then I hook my computer to my TV with an HDMI cable. I also enjoyed Video Olympics. So simple and yet so fun. Currently, I'm playing the Atari 2600 version of Space Invaders.

Space Invaders must have blown people away in 1978 and the 1980 Atari 2600 version was my first favorite game.

I wonder if it’s a good thing or a bad thing if autistic spectrum kids my age and younger grew up with video games? On one hand, it’s a great escape from peoole and all the confusing things that they do, but on the other hand it probably gives people another reason to isolate themselves and fall further behind their peers when it comes to socializing

I wonder if it’s a good thing or a bad thing if autistic spectrum kids my age and younger grew up with video games? On one hand, it’s a great escape from peoole and all the confusing things that they do, but on the other hand it probably gives people another reason to isolate themselves and fall further behind their peers when it comes to socializing

It's a very, very good thing. Video games help me as an aspie to focus and get rid of overwhelming sensory stuff.

Does anyone remember the commodore computer? We only had Atari when I was little. The Commodore 64 was the main system we played on until we got a Nintendo.

Atari 2600 was made on September 11, 1977 as far as I know!
there are 9 Launch titles.
  1. Air-Sea Battle,
  2. Basic Math,
  3. Blackjack,
  4. Combat,
  5. Indy 500
  6. Star Ship
  7. Street Racer
  8. Surround
  9. Video Olympics
Whats your favorite game out of those Launch titles?

1. Air-Sea Battle,
  2. Basic Math,
  3. Blackjack,
  4. Combat,
  5. Indy 500
  6. Star Ship
  7. Street Racer
  8. Surround
  9. Video Olympics

Has to be Combat followed by Indy 500 followed by Video Olympics

Strangely, this is my first time seeing surround

1. Air-Sea Battle,
  2. Basic Math,
  3. Blackjack,
  4. Combat,
  5. Indy 500
  6. Star Ship
  7. Street Racer
  8. Surround
  9. Video Olympics

I think most people would say Combat but I never got to play that with anyone despite having like 3 copies of it.

So.... Air-Sea Battle? I'm not sure. The problem with the earliest set of games for this thing is that they tended to want 2 players, not just one. And it was always just me playing these. But at least that one could be done as a sort of shooting-gallery thing.

As it is, all 9 of these are a good bit older than I am.

I think most people would say Combat but I never got to play that with anyone despite having like 3 copies of it.

So.... Air-Sea Battle? I'm not sure. The problem with the earliest set of games for this thing is that they tended to want 2 players, not just one. And it was always just me playing these. But at least that one could be done as a sort of shooting-gallery thing.

As it is, all 9 of these are a good bit older than I am.

I am pretty sure we got the Atari for Christmas of 1982. Initially I think I had a lot of these old games because they must have been cheaper. I think I played some of them against nobody despite them being two player games.

But then during video game crash of 1983 and so on, games got very cheap and I built a pretty big collection using lawn mowing money.

I own copies of Solaris and Pitfall 2, both are great games for the console (Solaris in particular pushes the stock 2600 to its limits). I have a friend who owns a Starpath Supercharger for the 2600. Good luck finding one of those today: they're crazy rare.

New Threads

Top Bottom