• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Let's celebrate our little victories!

CJinherPJs

Professional Weirdo
V.I.P Member
I saw the "How do you cope in public?" thread and thought a thread in which we could celebrate our little victories would be a good idea, so I'm going to start with mine:

Today was the first time I paid money into my bank account, seeing as my dad had my young savers account cancelled and I now have a cash ISA that I can access myself. He also cancelled my Principality account and was going to pay the money into the other one but, because it was busy in town, I got out of the car and went into the building society myself to pay the money in. I know it isn't much but it's something I wouldn't normally feel comfortable with doing, so it feels good to know there are things I can actually do which previously I didn't think I could.

So how about you?

Thanks Ian.:)

I do feel more confident now I know I can do things like this, whereas before I would avoid even trying to pay for something in a shop because I was afraid of doing something wrong or being challenged, which would cause me to become uncomfortable and try to explain myself and end up feeling silly. But the way I see it now, I'm just another customer to them, and they're busy concentrating on their job so they probably don't give customers a second thought after they've gone. That helps a lot.

Last edited:
I have had a lot of (big) victories over this summer. I managed to go to the cinema with a group of friends, one whom I hadn't seen in years. I added her on Facebook and started talking and stuff. I was able to get two other female friends/associates numbers (whom I also haven't seen in years) and have been texting them to arrange social outings.

I managed to organize a trip to the beach with them and my other friends. I used this opportunity to (small) talk to the female friends and re-connect with them. Everything didn't go as I had planned but it was actually pretty good regardless. Last night I went to the cinema again with some friends and had a good time. Earlier in the summer a friend of mine introduced me to two new people and we all went bowling and ice-skating. It was difficult at times due to the fact I can't skate and there was a big crowd but I still managed to enjoy myself.

Overall, this year is the most I have ever been sociable and I have really been making an effort. Whether it is small-talk, getting people's numbers, re-connecting with old friends/associates, trying to organize group outings or chatting on MSN - this year as been a big step in the right direction for me.

I just disabled a bunch of services on Windows 7 and it still works.
images

Does that count?

I guess that counts? I'm still quite getting the hang out of using Windows 7.

I spent two consecutive entire days doing fieldwork by myself in the forest and did not once suffer paranoid terror. I feel OK about going back out there. (Last time I spent two full days out there, I suffered great terror and it took me two weeks before I stopped internally cringing every time I went back out. I have to go out there to set things up or collect data almost every day).

I am enjoying my life reasonably now!

I was able to do a speech on something that was not Greek. (at the time, Greece is all I loved. Nothing else) It was about why there should be a death penalty. It was speech and debate. I had to write and say why there should be a death penalty, even if I didn't agree with it (I do agree with it because if someone kills my family or someone they love, they don't deserve to live)

Does that count?

It sure does, congratulations to you all and keep 'em coming!

As for me, people at school have told me that I'm more outgoing now than I used to be, and I'm glad to hear that because I have been making more of an effort to talk and ask questions, so I'm pleased it's paying off.

No victories for me this year, unfortunately, but I'll try to make an attempt to fix my life next year.

I suppose my victory this year is that I managed to put a name on the way I am. That I am an Aspie. I still don't have many answers to the issues I have, but I am more aware of them. and I am here at SV getting some support from all of you. And now that I notice my behaviors, I want to work on them. I know they won't go away, but maybe some things I can learn to do better or different. So I am doing what I need to do. I was going to put about five other things, but I realized they are all bicycling related, so that's boring.

The second time I went to facebook this week
my heart didn't pound. I can see that if I don't
want to look at or answer a message, I don't
have to do either of those things.

I am not making it a daily habit to use facebook,
but there were a couple people that I have no
other way of contacting, except through fb.

Facebook messages weren't a problem to me
until my sister started being mean. Now I am
trying to desensitize myself to the experience
of going there.

I unfriended one person (my sister's "husband").

I will celebrate the victory of getting the "official" phone call that I start my new job on Monday. I am also restarting my journey with Marklin brand European trains. Left that journey when we moved back to Indiana from Pennsylvania. I restarted that journey today with the purchase of an engine and some track. Mike

I got my Danish Duolingo tree fully gold again meaning I am at full strength (not an easy task as the various subjects turn back to their normal colour one by one, every few hours). I also got on top of the housework and have kept at it for about a month now. I have never managed to for this long before.

New Threads

Top Bottom