• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Large study links autism to autoimmune disease in mothers

Mom_of_6

Large study links autism to autoimmune disease in mothers — SFARI.org - Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative

I find this very informative, as it would explain alot for me and my children. I offered the researcher that did this study my own personal medical records as well as a look into my childrens. I have one who is positive for HFA as well as 3 more I believe could be as well. I have an autoimmune disease, and it does indeed have antibody receptors in the brain that are attacked. They were interested, but not to much. I wish I could get someone to open there eyes. The antibodies for the autoimmune disease I have can be passed from mother to child while they are a fetus, and have been known to cause brain development issues. These antibodies can actually lay dormant(but be there)without signs of the disease, but the antibodies are not regularly tested in anyone unless there seems to be signs of the disease. Wonder how many mothers out there have found out they have an autoimmune disease after having there children who have Austism...or even before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm interesting. My son has AS and my wife has an Auto immune disease. Not sure about my mum tho. A little coincidental.

Oh wow...this would actually explain a few things for me...

Thats ok Mum of 6, at the moment we all are learning whow the site works. I think we are as much a support group as a forum.

This seems interesting. As my mom has type one diabetes but that doesn't explain why my sister doesn't have it and my mom was pregnant while she had diabetes with my sister and not me...sooo interesting.

Maybe her health hit a lower low during her first trimester with you, or something. I know it's only anecdotal, but my mother smoked throughout her first pregnancy (me) and quit well before she had my siblings. They are neurotyical.
I wonder if there actually is a statistical limit on it, like there is with PTSD.

I know it's only anecdotal, but my mother smoked throughout her first pregnancy (me) and quit well before she had my siblings. They are neurotyical. I wonder if there actually is a statistical limit on it, like there is with PTSD.

I often wonder about that regarding my brother and myself. My mother smoked during her pregnancies as well.

The odd thing though is when I was around 15 I became morbidly allergic to cigarette smoke. Made life miserable for years.

Hm. My mom has some autoimmune thyroid thing, and me and my brother are AS, but my dad is textbook AS as is his brother (his only sibling) and both my uncle's sons. 5 cousins, 4 with AS.

My Mum has an autoimmune disease but she also displays aspie traits, as do some of her siblings.

New Threads

Top Bottom