• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Kind of at a crossroads....

Hello Victor and thanks for your response. You sound very knowledgeable about apprenticeships....Do you think its worthwhile to disclose an autism diagnosis to potential employers? Im leaning towards maybe asking more about culture, work demands possible accommodations etc without actually disclosing because I in fact disclosed my diagnosis before attending the schooling and im not so sure I made the right decision.
It's unnecessary and people might not understand. Better to mention how you're different from others imo, also because autism is varied

Be careful about talking about your weaknesses because it could attract users

Yep when I put my weaknesses on my resume I got a boss who used me for various personal and different tasks that weren't written in the contract. Plus she treated me horribly because I wasn't inhumanely fast with it and made up reasons for humiliation in front of customers, her customers and family members told her off.

Hello Victor and thanks for your response. You sound very knowledgeable about apprenticeships....Do you think its worthwhile to disclose an autism diagnosis to potential employers? Im leaning towards maybe asking more about culture, work demands possible accommodations etc without actually disclosing because I in fact disclosed my diagnosis before attending the schooling and im not so sure I made the right decision.

Generally speaking, unless you are applying for a position with an employer that is openly disability / autism friendly, and you are applying for a position where they are specifically looking to hire someone with autism or another disability, I would recommend against proactive disclosure.

The reason why I put the "and" in italics is because I have seen examples of employers that are disability-friendly on paper, and might even have well publicized neurodiversity hiring initiatives, have managers outside of those initiatives who act in discriminatory and/or ableist ways. So that kind of goes back to my earlier comments about the manager who ultimately makes the difference.

There are unfortunately a lot of misconceptions, and sometimes that means that disclosing something may make you stand out in a bad way.

How's it going? We're you able to get any extra help from other students or teachers? If it's not too personal, I'm curious if you ended up telling them about autism, and if so how it went.
And just in general how have things been this week?
-Eric

New Threads

Top Bottom