• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just writing a cover letter to go with my CV, what kind of stuff should I add?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
I've already drafted out that I'm an adult in early 40's, very experienced in Retail having worked in several local Shops. I also have administration and Internet experience having done IT work for several local Charities over the years.

I am ideally looking for part time work in either Retail or administration, I am able to work up to but ideally less than 16 hours per week on a weekly basis.

I have skills in IT, including word processing, the full suite of Microsoft Office products including Powerpoint, Excel and Access, and I've also taught myself basic HTML to create web pages.

I have a variety of hobbies including video gaming on Xbox One and Android mobile phone, as well as playing and watching Snooker and Pool, and training in Tae Kwon Do, a South Korean Martial Arts form. I also enjoy regular outings to the Cinema and Pub quizzes, as well as the occassional Theatre trip to see musicals and Pantomimes at Christmas.

I am currently on a part time Digital Arts course in Sheffield where I am learning to use Industry standard software such as Adobe After Effects, IMovie and Adobe Premier, as well as the 3D modelling tool Blender and video game creation tool Unity.

What do you think? I haven't included that I'm Aspie and otherwise disabled, do you think I should or would it put employers off?

Last edited:
Have you tried Googling CV covering letters? I would imagine many sites have information on what to include.

You should write a customized cover letter for each job you apply to. Not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US you shouldn't disclose a disability prior to hiring. Since it's illegal to discriminate based on disability, letting the hiring staff know about it puts them in an awkward position. If they don't hire you, discrimination could be claimed. Having previously been in a position where I hired people, it made me really uncomfortable if someone disclosed something ahead of time.

Job hunting is so stressful! Looking for a job is like a job in itself, right!? Good luck!

If you do decide to disclose at this stage Rich, don't just state a cold fact.

You'll need to put a positive spin on anything that may be considered negative or cause doubt. You're reassuring any doubters.

For example slipping your hearing deficit in,

Perhaps something like ... "Despite some hearing loss, It doesn't dampen my enthusiasm to interact with customers and deliver an excellent standard of customer service..."

As opposed to,

" I'm registered disabled and partially deaf."

Do you see the difference in styles?

They are both truth.

One is a cold fact and leaves the reader focused on a disability.

The other demonstrates your abilities.

I hope I've explained that okay?

Check your theatre trips Rich.
Did you mean occasional?
Fourth paragraph, third line.

Check your theatre trips Rich.
Did you mean occasional?
Fourth paragraph, third line.

There's also words in there that do not require capitalisation of their first letters. For example: 'retail' 'shops' 'cinema'.

I have GCSE English, I've always been taught to capitalise names of places.
You should capitalise proper nouns, not all nouns. I.E. you capitalise the names of specific places, events, or people, but not general names. For example, you do not capitalise 'cinema' but you do capitalise 'the Odeon'. The first is a general noun, the latter is a proper noun. Likewise you do not capitalise 'shops' but you do capitalise the name of a specific shop, such as Tesco.

I wouldn't include talk about hobbies in a covering letter, unless they include skills that are specifically relevant to the job you are applying for. eg. " I spend my free time doing blah blah blah" isn't relevant, but if you were applying for a job at a games store then "I am a keen gamer and so have an excellent understanding of the stock and have then knowledge to assist customers and answer questions" is relevant. Ever thing you include on a covering letter should be relevant to the particular job you are applying for a phrased in such a way that it is clear exactly what they would be gaining from you, why your skills and experience make you perfect for the job.

Also include a paragraph explain why you want the job, why you want to work for the company. Finish up with a sentence summarising why you think you are well suited for the role.

Forgot to mention, go through the job description and pick out specific skills they mention to highlight on the letter, using the same words they do, and give example of where you have used those skills. eg. My work as a retail assistant in a charity shop required excellent communication skills and customer service

I have GCSE English, I've always been taught to capitalise names of places.

Good for you. I have one too, and you don't capitalise the words I pointed out.

You should capitalise proper nouns, not all nouns. I.E. you capitalise the names of specific places, events, or people, but not general names. For example, you do not capitalise 'cinema' but you do capitalise 'the Odeon'. The first is a general noun, the latter is a proper noun. Likewise you do not capitalise 'shops' but you do capitalise the name of a specific shop, such as Tesco.

Exactly.

Here's what I've wrote so far.

I am an early 40's adult with excellent customer service and administration skills as well as skills in general IT and Internet such as email, word processing, Web searxching and Web page creation using HTML. I also have various relevant qualifications including GCSE English Language and Liteature at grade A, and NVQs in Retail and customer service at levels 1 to 3.

As you will see from my CV I've had several years of experience in various roles in both customer service and administration based positions.

I have an excellent telephone manner, and I am very open and approachable and eager to help customers at all times in any way I can. I can also type accurately at speeds of up to 60 words per minute.

My hobbies include video gaming, particularly on Xbox One and Android mobile phone, as well as training in Tae Kwon Do, a South Korean Martial Art, every Sunday evening and alternate Mondays and Fridays. My other hobbies include watching and playing Snooker and Pool, and attending regular Pub quiz nights on a weekly basis, I also enjoy singing on a Karaoke website and listening to retro music from the 60's, 70's and early to mid 80's.

If you could consider me for your positions, I would be very grateful, however due to personal circumstances I am only available to work part time hours of up to 15 hours per week, please don't let that put you off giving me a chance to prove that I could be a real asset to your company.

Any good?

Only spelling error I picked up on.

Also, snooker, pool and pub do not require capitalisation. I don't believe karaoke does either.

Oh FFS, a Pub is a place, it needs to be capitalised.

I will edit the other typos. Also, Snooker and Pool do need to be capitals, they're names of things, well that is what I've always been taught anyway.

Here's the latest version with corrected typos.

I am an early 40's adult with excellent customer service and administration skills as well as skills in general IT and Internet such as email, word processing, Web searching and Web page creation using HTML. I also have various relevant qualifications including GCSE English Language and Literature at grade A, and NVQs in Retail and customer service at levels 1 to 3.

As you will see from my CV I've had several years of experience in various roles in both customer service and administration based positions.

I have an excellent telephone manner, and I am very open and approachable and eager to help customers at all times in any way I can. I can also type accurately at speeds of up to 60 words per minute.

My hobbies include video gaming, particularly on Xbox One and Android mobile phone, as well as training in Tae Kwon Do, a South Korean Martial Art, every Sunday evening and alternate Mondays and Fridays. My other hobbies include watching and playing Snooker and Pool, and attending regular Pub quiz nights on a weekly basis, I also enjoy singing on a Karaoke website and listening to retro music from the 60's, 70's and early to mid 80's.

If you could consider me for your positions, I would be very grateful, however due to personal circumstances I am only available to work part time hours of up to 15 hours per week, please don't let that put you off giving me a chance to prove that I could be a real asset to your company.

Last edited:
Oh FFS, a Pub is a place, it needs to be capitalised.

I will edit the other typos. Also, Snooker and Pool do need to be capitals, they're names of things, well that is what I've always been taught anyway.
You were taught incorrectly, pub snooker and pool most definitely do not need to be capitalised.

You should give examples of where you have used your skills, for example "I have an excellent telephone manner, which I developed during my time work as..."

You were taught incorrectly, pub snooker and pool most definitely do not need to be capitalised.

You should give examples of where you have used your skills, for example "I have an excellent telephone manner, which I developed during my time work as..."

I hate to be pedantic but UK English is a lot different to US English.

We spell words differently here.

Not being able to distinguish common and mass nouns from proper nouns could be a potential "deal-breaker" with those reviewing his CV who may be "grammar Nazis" for real. :eek:

Fundamentally not the sort of error to be making on any CV, IMO.

New Threads

Top Bottom