• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just some problems I have...

Sev

Hello! (Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section)

I was diagnosed a few months ago with the notorious "Aspergers Syndrome", however there are several other problems that have been constantly bothering me and I was hoping you guys would be able to give some guidance and advice. During the last two years I have been constantly suffering panic/stress attacks on a regular basis, perhaps once a week. However this year, the intervals that these attacks occur have been drastically reduce and happen almost every day. During these "attacks" I sometimes end up very depressed, or extremely angry, occasionally resulting in self-harm.

As well as this, I have also lost pretty much all my motivation for everything. I don't really care about anything anymore and I can't bring myself to do simple things like studying or homework regardless of being a previous "straight A student". Pretty much all my life I've suffered severe paranoia, to the point that I'm prepared for "betrayal" from anyone and everyone. Regardless of what the public/professional opinion is of my "paranoia" I think it's more or less just a case of 'extreme caution'. Regardless of my views on this, I do admit that it has become more intensive and prominent in the last few months.

I really struggle developing friendships with people and thus, I have only a few friends. I've just become so secluded and hidden away from society that I don't even know the names of people I'm studying with. I really wouldn't be complaining/discussing how I isolate myself from the rest of the world, but I feel that it may assist you in helping me if you knew about it.

All in all, I feel like crap all the time, I'm no longer motivated, I'm having panic/stress attacks constantly, and I have no idea what to do. I seriously don't care about anything anymore and I have no idea what is wrong with me!? Does anyone have any ideas why all these problems have hit me at one time and why they are getting worse. I'm not trying to give a moping speech. I just have nobody to go to, I don't even know if any of you people will care. I'm just hoping there would be at least one person on here that would be willing to give me some insight (and potentially discuss) on some of these problems I'm dealing with. (I forgot to mention earlier but I have a lot of problems getting to sleep as well, not sure how significant that is though)

If you've read this far, thanks.

Sev

Last edited:
Hi sev its all part of the Aspergers in the way you feel i am the same wants i excepted what i have and who i am it all made sence to me .you are who you are am 49 and still learning to cope in this social world and if i can any help to you dont hesitate to go on shout box

Hey Sev, of course we care! You are not alone, you just feel that way. It is important to remember that our feelings are not a true reflection of how we are perceived by others. They are exclusive to one person, us.
Your description seems to indicate that the "Real You" does not match what the expectations of your surroundings require of you. Lets start at the beginning. Go to a safe place. Now take some time to think deeply about what it is that you want, or what would make you happy, no matter how unrealistic it seems. Can you picture a way that you could achieve that in your present surroundings?
Another troubleshooting step, Lets try to identify what the bad feelings are caused by. When you start to feel anxiety, what is it that accompanies those feelings? Usually, it is school, work, family expectations, social pressure or obligations. You can start to identify things that make you feel bad, and then start to eliminate them from your life. Often times it is difficult to figure out what they are, but it is worth the effort.
There are also things that enhance good and bad feelings, like your diet. Eating healthy and avoiding chemicals and processed foods, go a long way toward improving our moods.
Remember that these things that plauge you are moods and feelings, and can be changed. Continue looking for the source of both your good and bad feelings, and you will start to see solutions.
Good luck my friend.

Aspergers paired with anxiety and depression. I've had all three. I'm still an Aspie, but the other two things are gone. Which is good, because the AS part is good.
The depression could be connected with the lack of friends; my one good friend who found me is responsible for the disappearance of my depression.

I guess this isn't actual advice, just a brief analysis. I'd love to think of some really good advice if I could.

Went through the same thing in my twenties, including the panic attacks and paranoia. I now believe anaerobic exercise to increase dopamine and serotin levels in the brain is better than any drug and also you need the right psychologist or consultant to help you deal with the AS side. It's all treatable but it sometimes may take time, depending upon the individual. P.S. I still have the aspergers issues but no longer get panic attacks and I only get depressed if something is very wrong and rocks my boat. Hope you find your answers here on the forum.

I was diagnosed a few months ago with the notorious "Aspergers Syndrome", however there are several other problems that have been constantly bothering me and I was hoping you guys would be able to give some guidance and advice. During the last two years I have been constantly suffering panic/stress attacks on a regular basis, perhaps once a week. However this year, the intervals that these attacks occur have been drastically reduce and happen almost every day. During these "attacks" I sometimes end up very depressed, or extremely angry, occasionally resulting in self-harm.

As well as this, I have also lost pretty much all my motivation for everything. I don't really care about anything anymore and I can't bring myself to do simple things like studying or homework regardless of being a previous "straight A student". Pretty much all my life I've suffered severe paranoia, to the point that I'm prepared for "betrayal" from anyone and everyone. Regardless of what the public/professional opinion is of my "paranoia" I think it's more or less just a case of 'extreme caution'. Regardless of my views on this, I do admit that it has become more intensive and prominent in the last few months.

I really struggle developing friendships with people and thus, I have only a few friends. I've just become so secluded and hidden away from society that I don't even know the names of people I'm studying with. I really wouldn't be complaining/discussing how I isolate myself from the rest of the world, but I feel that it may assist you in helping me if you knew about it.

All in all, I feel like crap all the time, I'm no longer motivated, I'm having panic/stress attacks constantly, and I have no idea what to do. I seriously don't care about anything anymore and I have no idea what is wrong with me!? Does anyone have any ideas why all these problems have hit me at one time and why they are getting worse. I'm not trying to give a moping speech. I just have nobody to go to, I don't even know if any of you people will care. I'm just hoping there would be at least one person on here that would be willing to give me some insight (and potentially discuss) on some of these problems I'm dealing with. (I forgot to mention earlier but I have a lot of problems getting to sleep as well, not sure how significant that is though)

Sev

Hi Sev,

How old are you? I'm getting the impression that you are a high school student. I've never really had a problem with panic attacks but I did notice you were previously a straight A student and cannot find the motivation to study.

I'm wondering, have your grades suddenly dropped and you don't know why? The reason I ask is that it happened to me half way through high school. When the style of teaching changed to be more like a lecture style, my grades suddenly dropped and it was very distressing for me. It wasn't until earlier this year (I'm now 47yo) that I learned I have an auditory processing disorder. I forget a lot of things that are spoken to me. At high school one day I left my chemistry note book at home so I wrote notes on a piece of paper. Later that evening I wrote up the notes neatly in my note book. I realised that by doing that, I actually learned the lesson a lot better. I had accidentally stumbled on a coping mechanism and I continue to use this technique even now. When I was at university I took notes in lectures and re-wrote them at home. Occasionally I found a sentence in my notes that didn't make sense at all. Sometimes the writing was illegible. Sometimes the words weren't English. Often when I re-wrote my notes, it was like I was learning this information for the first time. My brain just wasn't processing spoken words properly. What I have realised now is that sometimes after I hear the words and process them, they are committed to memory and can be recalled later. Other times after I have processed them they just disappear. At work I take the minutes for 3 different meetings and use a digital recorder. Then I play back the recording later to type up the minutes.

Is it possible that this is your problem too and it is making a significant contribution to your anxiety and panic attacks?

Your story sounds much like mine. I never had any idea of what I wanted to do when I grew up. I still have no idea and I am 53. Things sound good to me, but when I get involved it just doesn't work out for me, no matter what it is. The problem is always that the way the way other people think and do things clashes with the way I think and do things. I have always had trouble with friendships, not so much with making them, but keeping them.

As a result, I am very sad and lonely. I often have long crying spells because nobody wants to be friends with me and I can't understand why.

Sev

@Lostinspace: Many Aspies in your position find solace in working in solitary professions or careers wherein there is little emphasis on social interaction in the workplace. Being able to work on your own terms is good too if you have a special interest & ability that you could turn into a business. With the internet & online shopping etc, business people can have a profitable career all without having to be bombarded with constant social stimuli that they cannot relate to or even make sense of.

Wow, thanks for the great variety of responses! I've learnt quite a bit and I'm going to start dealing with my issues. *Hopefully* I will get over it all. Thanks again!

Hello. I apologize that I do not have the experience or observational data to contribute on all of the aforementioned subjects, but I believe I may be able the offer insight on a few of them.

Starting with apathy, or not feeling motivation to do anything; I have frequent periods of my life in which I experience this. Generally not for very long, a few days at the most, but I know what it feels like. What seems to work for me is to go back to an old favorite; something you have an invested interest in. In my case it was the game Halo. Even though I didn't feel like playing it, I did so anyway and instinctively marveled at the beauty of the storyline and overall composition of the worlds within, and was soon thinking about everything at muzzle velocity again. However, I've never obtained external input, so please treat this as an isolated solution until more data can be gathered.

Dealing with the panic attacks/anger; the only time I can remember experiencing a full blown panic attack was the last time I went to have blood drawn. Doubled over, unable to think straight, gasping for air, that kind of thing. Not entirely sure if this is the problem you're trying to address, and I haven't had enough experience to create a viable solution anyway. I do, however, experience flashes of vicious anger quite frequently. Usually these seem to be brought on by remembering past mistakes, but sometimes occur for no apparent reason. They last on average 3-10 seconds, but cause spastic convulsions in my hands and arms, as well as sharp intakes of breath or hissing. Lately the severity and frequency has decreased significantly, I believe because I have trained myself to recognize these occurrences early and attempt to direct them in a more artistic fashion. I know this isn't much of an explanation, but for me it's a very complicated concept rooted in mental visualization. I direct waves of energy and create patterns in my head, swords of light and tempests of dark; visual music.

I'm sorry I can't think of a better way to describe it. That's just what it is to me.

For insomnia, I can only really recommend that you go to sleep when you feel like it. I have no sleep schedule. I sleep when I'm tired, and continue sleeping until I'm not. Just try to control circumstances so that you're not woken up by outside interference (of which mothers can be very high contributors). Waking up ahead of time tends to have negative effects on my overall psyche. For acute insomnia, as in; awake for 48 hours or more at a time, ignore this and seek immediate medical help.

I would appreciate feedback on these and other suggested remedies for future reference.

With regards,

Perry Holia Kerrith.

Last edited:
Hey Sev, of course we care! You are not alone, you just feel that way. It is important to remember that our feelings are not a true reflection of how we are perceived by others. They are exclusive to one person, us.
Your description seems to indicate that the "Real You" does not match what the expectations of your surroundings require of you. Lets start at the beginning. Go to a safe place. Now take some time to think deeply about what it is that you want, or what would make you happy, no matter how unrealistic it seems. Can you picture a way that you could achieve that in your present surroundings?
Another troubleshooting step, Lets try to identify what the bad feelings are caused by. When you start to feel anxiety, what is it that accompanies those feelings? Usually, it is school, work, family expectations, social pressure or obligations. You can start to identify things that make you feel bad, and then start to eliminate them from your life. Often times it is difficult to figure out what they are, but it is worth the effort.
There are also things that enhance good and bad feelings, like your diet. Eating healthy and avoiding chemicals and processed foods, go a long way toward improving our moods.
Remember that these things that plauge you are moods and feelings, and can be changed. Continue looking for the source of both your good and bad feelings, and you will start to see solutions.
Good luck my friend.

Peace, very good and thoughtful suggestion given by you.

Not eating sugar really helped me. Also, becoming aware that other foods/substances make me either crazy, sick, or stupid. Cow milk, the smell of tobacco, potatoes, or tomatoes....for instance. It helps to keep a record of how you feel, in order to figure out what may contribute to the feeling. (I learned that in animal psychology. That was one of the most helpful classes I took in school. It was very rational. We recorded information.The instructor said write down what you observe and look to see if there is a pattern, later. )

Last edited:
@Lostinspace: Many Aspies in your position find solace in working in solitary professions or careers wherein there is little emphasis on social interaction in the workplace. Being able to work on your own terms is good too if you have a special interest & ability that you could turn into a business. With the internet & online shopping etc, business people can have a profitable career all without having to be bombarded with constant social stimuli that they cannot relate to or even make sense of.

Thanks for your advice I just joined an MLM called My Fun Life, and I am trying to come up with a way of sponsoring people through online advertising so that they don't need to speak to people face to face in order to sponsor them, which is what they currently tell you to do.

I am currently placing ads various places to find out what works and what doesn't work - simple data acquisition. Once I come up with something that works (I have no idea of how long this will take), I will then share this with my downline.

I am also starting a blog about my vision for what MLM should be - commissions that are low enough so that you can provide enough value to end consumers who will buy even if there is no possibility of making any money with it, and I believe that to be true of My Fun Life. (I haven't actually used the service yet, so I can't speak from personal experience, but the commissions that are low enough so that they could do this if they wanted to..)

I used to be in these things before and I would tell every single person I knew about it and nobody would join. My income was always zero. Other people just like me doing the same thing I was doing would go to $10,000 a month in their first year. I never knew what it was about me that kept me from joining them until a few months ago. Maybe things will be different this time.

New Threads

Top Bottom