• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just introducing myself.

Annie White

If you're Aspie and you know it, flap your hands!
Hello everyone.

Like many of you, I have my own types of difficulties with my diagnosed Aspergers.

I cannot do chit-chat so easily and don't see a point to. A lot of normal chatter confuses the hell out of me. Plus I simply find myself uninterested in things people seem to be interested in. Vise versa. (No one wants to talk about tear downs or building crystal radio capacitors. I don't want to talk about Facebook posts) <example. This even effects my relationships and I mostly just let them finish what they're saying so it can be over with. I score a high IQ, 121, so dealing with average is like speaking a different kind of english for us both. If I were NT with a high IQ that would be awesome but... A few of my friends, don't even talk to me anymore. I've let go.

I need to keep an extreme organizer (I plan my days out weekly and keep an un-dated planner) I HAVE TO. Also with hygiene. I can't be dirty, I just can't. I have given myself instructions for a hygiene ritual. I think a lot of people could probably benefit from LOL. I also plan my gym visits and I am highly aware of what's in my food.

Looking deeply into your eyes... CREEPS ME OUT! I've always been uncomfortable with eye contact. I don't think that will be anything I can do anything about. It's hard to look in my boyfriends eyes for instance. On contrary, I enjoy looking at my daughter because she's so cute and her cute little eyes are beautiful.

Other things I am weak against: Bright or strange lights (my house has xmas lights decorated inside so I can switch the mood/or colors, and I feel odd having the dining room light on. Loud sounds, and I really can't do smells. I stay away from menstraiting females (I can tell) and limit my public appearances. Sense of smell is why I constantly have to be clean. I smell myself, when no one else would otherwise be able to.

All these things combined, I can't work due to these things being so largely disabling for me. So I am a genius on SSI. I feel like I've been robbed. All while appearing "NORMAL" to those who misunderstand autism. I haven't really gotten too much negativity about it. When I explain it to others, it seems to make sense to them. "Oh yeah I guess you are autistic!" I am lucky for that. But still, I wish I could be doing more with myself and I feel like my brain is waisted. So I play games and teach my (proving to be NT) daughter all kinds of useful things. I am planning to take early childhood education for homeschooling. She's only 2 years old currently after all.

I'd love to also speak with some other Aspie parents if you're here. I just need support and I offer some in exchange or for freely. There isn't a lot of resources online that I've been able to find for parents with this issue. Mainly the other way around.

Thank you for your time.

Well, I'm not a parent, but I can tell you that many of us here are dealing with the same things you are---struggling with or being unable to work, parenting, and so on. You should be able to find some help. :)

Welcome, Annie!

Well, I'm not a parent, but I can tell you that many of us here are dealing with the same things you are---struggling with or being unable to work, parenting, and so on. You should be able to find some help. :)

Welcome, Annie!

Parents and non-parents alike! I wanna talk to you ALLLLL ! LOL :)

Wow, Annie, sounds like we have a least a few things in common.

I love your indoors Christmas lights idea! When I was a kid I used to adore the colors and twinkling of Christmas lights. I could lie on the couch for hours in the darkened living room watching the play of the patterns on the ceiling as the lights on the Christmas tree would blink and cast multicolored shadows of the tree branches on the ceiling.

I also prefer warmer, more muted lighting and only like ceiling lights on when doing things that really need a bright light on in the room.

I do seem to have a better sense of smell than others though not to the level you are describing. So I can understand how that can be a problem for you. There are smells I will notice that I can never get others to pick up on.

Hello Annie, welcome to our Aspie community. Yes, we are all grappling with a variety of issues and you are sure to find caring and supportive members here whenever you come visiting.

I love Christmas lights too - I have a small crystal Christmas tree plugged into my computer via USB :)

Annie White

upload_2015-11-17_11-27-58.jpeg

New Threads

Top Bottom