• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just finding out at age 80.

Goblin

What a surprise! Just finding out I may have been autistic all 80 years of living on this planet. Curious now about relationship between my INFP personality and autism

1677430754554.png

@Goblin, welcome :)

I had to look up what "INFP" meant. Introduction | Mediator (INFP) Personality | 16Personalities

I can totally relate to the description of the INFP personality. I am in healthcare. I am an educator. I am a husband and a father. However, I am very much the typical "Aspie", educated formally, but prefer learning on my own, doing things on my own, and would prefer not to be "dependent" upon others. I enjoy being independent. I also seek to operate at a higher level than others,...because I have higher standards. I don't feel loneliness, but enjoy quiet solitude.

However, I did take that personality test on that site and I ended up being an (INTJ) "Architect" type of personality, although many of my individual category scores were "slight" in the 52-60% bias range. I was 92% introverted, though. I like taking these sorts of tests. Introduction | Architect (INTJ) Personality | 16Personalities

Last edited:

I had to look up what "INFP" meant. Introduction | Mediator (INFP) Personality | 16Personalities

I can totally relate to the description of the INFP personality. I am in healthcare. I am an educator. I am a husband and a father. However, I am very much the typical "Aspie", educated formally, but prefer learning on my own, doing things on my own, and would prefer not to be "dependent" upon others. I enjoy being independent. I also seek to operate at a higher level than others,...because I have higher standards. I don't feel loneliness, but enjoy quiet solitude.
You sound a LOT like me. Great to meet you.

I taught economics, have a Ph.D. in economics. Jumped from project to project because I'd get bored doing the same things very long. Married 54 years . . to the same great woman. Two children . . . a girl and a boy. Now retired and living the postmodern dream.

Hello and welcome, @Goblin! It’s good to have you here. Take your time settling in as there is a lot to figure out about how the forum operates. But I find us to be a friendly and welcoming bunch, so I hope you have a great experience here.

However, I did take that personality test on that site and I ended up being an (INTJ) "Architect" type of personality, although many of my individual category scores were "slight" in the 52-60% bias range. I was 92% introverted, though. I like taking these sorts of tests. Introduction | Architect (INTJ) Personality | 16Personalities
Yeah, very much like INFP. The "J" is judgment, which means you are good discriminator. MY "P" score means perceptual. I just watch. Found my niche in eastern Taoism, which just flows through whatever comes and doesn't choose to escape when things turn south and doesn't celebrate when things (accidentally) go right. For me, that's just life. Life is great, absurd, incomprehensible, unpredictable, beautiful. But there is nothing to fear. I think I was a INTJ the first half of my life, in fact.

Welcome!

I'm reading Taoism and Stoicism myself right now.
We can have a discussion on this when or if you are ready. It has taken me a long time to develop my own self concept and to create a world that I'm comfortable living in. This 'wording' of how I've dealt with these issues is seeking an understanding of my self by myself for a long time. No doctors ever diagnosed me as autistic through 80 long years.

There are popular personality tests that have only four types, and others with over a dozen. To me, they are like horoscopes. I can relate on some points, but I don't think the authors can imagine me. I found out about the AS at 56, when I was researching my mother's symptoms, and suddenly both our lives made sense.

I taught economics, have a Ph.D. in economics. Jumped from project to project because I'd get bored doing the same things very long. Married 54 years . . to the same great woman. Two children . . . a girl and a boy. Now retired and living the postmodern dream.
Welcome @Goblin

You're "living the postmodern dream" in a time period that's never been better for doing so in all of human history. Social Security is still intact, pensions are also largely intact and healthcare is more advanced that ever before. In many ways (e.g. financial security, buying power, creature comforts, etc) it's likely the generations to follow you won't have it as good as you're able to enjoy it. You're at a retirement age that is a pivotal time.

Last edited:
What a surprise! Just finding out I may have been autistic all 80 years of living on this planet. Curious now about relationship between my INFP personality and autism
Better late than never, I suppose? Glad you're here--and I'm glad you've learned more about yourself. :)

Welcome Goblin

I figured it out a few years back at 68, just after my wife passed. I’m with Shevek and Neonatal; I think the tests are of very limited authority but are valuable opinions, and I enjoy taking them as food for thought.

Finding out so late in life is a heartbreak for me. Life has been a long crusade, which I would have fought differently had I understood the basis for my peculiarity. Then again, I attained high achievements (in my world) that I would probably not have attempted had I understood the insurmountable obstacles of a condition I didn’t know I had.

In the end, most of what we have is memories. But for me, every memory needs to be reevaluated in light of the fact that I literally see through a different lens than others. I’d rather not, but that is where my brain goes.

Haven’t been around here lately, but am poking back around. Good to meet you.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums @Goblin
I thought I was late diagnosed at 65 but at 80 - wow.

At least now you know

What is this dream? just asking
I refer to the postmodern dream as my life in our current culture. It is filled with ambiguity, fear, violence and conflict. "Postmodernism" is a new collective ideology that has been spreading since the 1980s for the most part that refutes the existence of 'truth', facts, science and leans into regressions psychology and hates liberalism for the most part. This is the environment we all are either struggling against or embracing, creating conflict with the past 200 years which began with the renaissance and so-called 'enlightenment' through reason. That's enough.

Hello again tree, A question if you please. I belong to another protected forum for people "hearing voices, experiencing visions ." and the like. They have closed online groups of people of all ages hearing voices in their heads in their network and encourage members to exchange experiences. It gives these folks a protected place to express their own distress and learn to 'open up' and talk about their mental health issues with those with similar issues.

I wanted to ask if I might post the following text on our forum for others who might be afraid to talk about these issues if they suffer from them? I didn't know if this was within the forum's rules?

"There are now ONLINE opportunities to connect, share experiences of hearing voices within or experiencing alternative realities and find mutual support! These groups are accessible via web-based platforms and by phone. Existing members of these groups hold all the same values as Full Charter HVN groups that meet physically in community! Online groups are specifically for those with personal lived experience with hearing voices, seeing visions, and/or negotiating alternative realities. They are voice-hearer facilitated. Those with questions and for details on how to access the group please email [email protected]"

I also use an online site that offers many self-administered verified tests on many psychological conditions that people may take for free. Some are for fun, but most are serious life-issue tests for self-understanding. The site is IDRLabs.com . Check it out if you like. Would it be appropriate for me to post this link as well?

Thanks!

Goblin

New Threads

Top Bottom