• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jewish!

KennyIOM

I found out recently that I'm Jewish. Are therè any other aspies who have had a simalar experiance?

im autie,not aspie but i was going through conversion to liberal judaism once,i was not supported by my support team and the conversion fell flat.
how do you feel about being jewish? any different?
i personally know a guy whose jewish and aspie,hes a greek film maker,his mum is well known as a film maker in greece,she used to be my support staff.

Shalom. I'm not Jewish, but philo-Semitic, and anything to do with Jewish people and Judaism is one of my obsessions.
Your Jewish heritage is part of your identity. Be proud of it and explore it. Go to Israel if you can. Read the Bible, both testaments, and see where it takes you.

I've been told by everyone I meet, especially the Jewish people I meet, that I am Jewish. I've been to a Messianic synagog and liked it way more than any Christian Church I've been to.

It still confuses me when people use it as both a race and a religion. People say "Are you Jewish?" and I say "Are you talking about my bloodline or my religious practice?" and they immediately are stumped. Even some Jewish people can't answer me that.

I do get along with Jewish people more so than Gentiles. I have pretty much every feature in the stereotype. But have no way of checking for the lineage. *shrug*

I was in my late 30's when I found out that my grandmother on my mother's side was Jewish. My parents grew up in Europe during WWII, and my mother's family had to go into hiding.

I tried the "23AndMe" DNA research a few years ago and was told I have 12% Jewish DNA from Ancient Israel; and a lot of other mid-European and British Isles stuff. Interesting to know.

It still confuses me when people use it as both a race and a religion. People say "Are you Jewish?" and I say "Are you talking about my bloodline or my religious practice?" and they immediately are stumped. Even some Jewish people can't answer me that.
This is actually a very insightful observation. Most people (including Jews) don't know that there is a difference. I am half Jewish. My mother is Jewish and my father was Caucasian christian; 1/2 English and 1/2 Scottish. I can only trace my fathers gene line concretely as third generation American but it could be significantly higher. My grandmother on my mother's side is a Spehardic Jew. They are the biblical Jews descendant from the 12 tribes of Israel and consequently look Arabic. My grandfather is Ashkanezi, Ashkenazi outnumber Sehphardic 9:1. There is no consensus on where or when Askenazis converted to Judaism (the only trusted information I've found is we are genetically similar to Turks, southern Italians, and Greeks). Mel Brooks and Woody Allen are Ashkanazi. Also there is a small contingent of Ethiopian Jews; the Israelis are xenophobic towards their immigration so they get put in refugee camps. An Ethiopian Jew picked me out of a crowd when I was an undergraduate and that was my first knowledge of their existence. So I'm an ethnic Jew but I have never practiced the Jewish religion. I'm third generation Jewish American; three great grandparents came from Russia and one from the Ukraine. All within the time period of 1900-1915. One extended member of the family wrote a genealogy of my one ancestor from the Ukraine. This included my great grandmother. While most of the family was emigrating to America her brother choose to move to France. He was a soldier in the war so when he was captured he got put in a POW camp instead of a concentration camp and was treated like any other POW. His wife was in hospital at the time and stayed there. Nazis would come 2x per week to see if anyone was healthy enough to leave. She later remarked a French doctor preformed unnecessary surgeries on her to keep her just sick enough to not go to a concentration camp. They put their children in hiding in various places in France. The youngest son hid on a farm in rural France and he is the one who told the story in 1997.

I'm an Aspie Jew, but like others have said, I'm an ethnic Jew, not a religious one. My dad is the (Ashkenaz) Jewish one in my family, his line is traceable pretty far back, and we know the tribe. My mom is Christian, and all her family is traceable back to the British Isles. Dad became a Christian before I was born, so I'm not considered Jewish by religious Jews, but I'm currently in the process of learning as much as I can about my ethnic heritage. I consider myself more of a Messianic, although for "political" reasons I keep that information to myself when I'm around traditional Jews...keeps me from being shunned yet again. I find I'm pulled towards tradition in an almost instinctive manner, so I love learning about Judaism, and am even considering formal conversion.

I read a lot of people here are identifying with messianic Judaism. And maybe there is some reason you have to hide it? I have zero interest in (The religious aspect) ofJudaism, Christianity, or the combination of the two. I find when books are interpreted for me (priest, rabbi) the interpreter ascribes their own meaning and conveys that. I find that offensive in many ways. This could also be a reaction to the fact that I grew up in what is called the bible belt in america. Many people are raised very strict religious and they either follow that path for their entire life or completely rebel. I always identified with the rebels.

I was told recently that I'm supposedly Jewish because of some relation from however far back on my Mum's side. I did try looking into it as it'd be interesting to know more about my Mum's family. They're weird so I don't know a lot about them past my Mum's parents. It makes no difference to me either way other than finding out about ancestors.

Dna test for the Cohen haplotype
I've been told by everyone I meet, especially the Jewish people I meet, that I am Jewish. I've been to a Messianic synagog and liked it way more than any Christian Church I've been to.

I do get along with Jewish people more so than Gentiles. I have pretty much every feature in the stereotype. But have no way of checking for the lineage. *shrug*

I was told recently that I'm supposedly Jewish because of some relation from however far back on my Mum's side. I did try looking into it as it'd be interesting to know more about my Mum's family. They're weird so I don't know a lot about them past my Mum's parents. It makes no difference to me either way other than finding out about ancestors.
if for instance you are of ashkenazi group common skin Colour white they have a known record of being diagnosed with tay-Sachs disease its muscle wasting -horrendous

I
Shalom. I'm not Jewish, but philo-Semitic, and anything to do with Jewish people and Judaism is one of my obsessions.
Your Jewish heritage is part of your identity. Be proud of it and explore it. Go to Israel if you can. Read the Bible, both testaments, and see where it takes you.
I LOVE IT WHEN I HEAR THE WORD ALIYAH OR HAVE MADE ALIYAH FOR SOME REASON HEBREW MEANS MORE TO ME THAN ENGLISH

MESSIANIC MEANT ACKNOWLEDGING MESSIAH NOT BEING CHRISTIAN
IT MEANT THE DESCENDANTS OF ABRAHAM WOULD NOT BE REQUIRED TO SACRIFICE AS THE MESSIAH BECAME THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE
MANY JEWISH PEOPLE SEE THE EVIDENCE IN THE BOOK OF ISIAH
MESSIANIC ALSO JUST REFERS TO THE AGE AFTER THE MESSIAH RETURNS

New Threads

Top Bottom