• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jean Trends...yeesh...and other stuff...

This sounds remarkably dull.

I swear, so many people are just... boring. And then they get all bothered when they meet someone who doesnt try to be as dull as they are.

Maybe this is mean to say, but I find most people my age (irl) incredibly dull and boring.
There is more to life than making money (or mining crypto or NFT or whatever, a lot of them do that), and getting married, and achieving whatever arbitrary social status...

Wouldn't it be a lot more satisfying to find a job that they actually liked (or start their dream business), learn to be okay with themselves as people or maybe even learn more about their sexuality before rushing into a relationship due to societal pressure (the divorce rate here is still 50%), and work on themselves and their mental well-being so they didn't need to depend on social media and other external sources of validation?

A lot of people I know seem to forget that they were ever passionate about anything, once they reach a certain age... and then it just becomes the path to society's standards of success... I would be surprised if these people are genuinely happy.

I know what you're saying there @Luca, I got lucky when I was 30. I moved down to Melbourne chasing work and was successful with that, but also the local pub was an eclectic mix of all sorts of characters. I was fresh down from Darwin with my brown skin and my jeans singlet and bare feet, I was like a breath of fresh air in the place.

The only other tradesman that drank there was the cheff. :) It was a great little community though because there was such a different mix of people, there were artists, physicists, school teachers, musicians, TV celebrities. It was like a tiny little country town hidden in the middle of a big city.

It was almost in the CBD, at the end of the day most of that shut down and all the workers went home, and then it was our little world that we had all to ourselves. I'm sure some of the stories will pop out somewhere in here sooner or later. I've got some good stories. :)

I know what you're saying there @Luca, I got lucky when I was 30. I moved down to Melbourne chasing work and was successful with that, but also the local pub was an eclectic mix of all sorts of characters. I was fresh down from Darwin with my brown skin and my jeans singlet and bare feet, I was like a breath of fresh air in the place.

The only other tradesman that drank there was the cheff. :) It was a great little community though because there was such a different mix of people, there were artists, physicists, school teachers, musicians, TV celebrities. It was like a tiny little country town hidden in the middle of a big city.

It was almost in the CBD, at the end of the day most of that shut down and all the workers went home, and then it was our little world that we had all to ourselves. I'm sure some of the stories will pop out somewhere in here sooner or later. I've got some good stories. :)
That is amazing. I wish there was a place like that where I live.
I hope you share the rest of them! I really do love your stories :)

I'm a bit like you, I know at times that I can dominate the conversation and I try not to, but I like telling stories.

And I was just lucky that one time, it lasted 6 years until I had my big burn out. I never found such a place again.

I'm a bit like you, I know at times that I can dominate the conversation and I try not to, but I like telling stories.

And I was just lucky that one time, it lasted 6 years until I had my big burn out. I never found such a place again.
One of my friends has said to me "You always end up being the center of attention whether you like it or not!"
I never dominate conversations intentionally either... although it obviously does happen sometimes... some of us are just natural storytellers, or have loud personalities...

Part of the problem that I have is that I'm an extreme extrovert, who often ends up surrounded by introverts. Then it's hard to balance it out and I start to get on people's nerves.

I feel bad that this thread went so off the rails though :sweatsmile: Maybe we should spend some time in one of the off-topic threads...

For me, clothes need to be practical, comfortable and keep you warm. If they fail to do that, I see little point in them. I don't get why anyone would want to buy jeans with a hole ripped in them, or coats that only go down to the top of your waist. I wear what is comfortable, what is warm and what I like. If it is also in fashion, then it's sheer coincidence.

I love flare cut pants, boot cut, relaxed fit. Bring me those high waisted pants too! I really hate waistbands- comfort is king. So if a pair of jeans has a bit of stretch, I'm in love. Or like relaxed fit overalls, or yoga pants!!

Remember back around 2008, when there were flare cut yoga pants? Oh those were so comfy and flattering. Nip in the belly and then lightly flaring around a nice pair of shoes. So lovely.

But honestly, I don't even wear jeans, really. I like all my clothes to feel like pajamas, soft and cozy. So I usually wear yoga pants, or sometimes sweats or a long, flowy dress/skirt (in this weather- over a pair of said yoga pants). It's just how I roll.

Some time ago I went to a store to buy jeans and discovered that they only had skinny jeans, the type that fits like skin on a sausage. And it was stretch, elastic denim. I asked if they had normal jeans, like an old fashion boot cut that wasn't elastic and the woman who worked there looked confused. I think the pants industry has gone downhill. Who came up with elastic denim, it's weird, denim shouldn't stretch.

I asked if they had normal jeans, like an old fashion boot cut that wasn't elastic and the woman who worked there looked confused. I think the pants industry has gone downhill.
I agree, about 2 years ago I walked through a department store and they had proper jeans, some unknown Chinese brand but who cares? They were cotton and they were cut right, and they were only $6.50!

I bought a dozen, 6 @ 32 inch and 6 @ 34 inch. That's me sorted for a few years. :)

I agree, about 2 years ago I walked through a department store and they had proper jeans, some unknown Chinese brand but who cares? They were cotton and they were cut right, and they were only $6.50!

I bought a dozen, 6 @ 32 inch and 6 @ 34 inch. That's me sorted for a few years. :)

The most troublesome thing about these new super skinny jeans is that I have to use a shoehorn to get them on me and a crowbar to get them off. And forget about bending over, those days are gone. It's not comfortable to wear pants that stick to you like a rainbow on an oil-slick.

The most troublesome thing about these new super skinny pants is that I have to use a shoehorn to get them on me and a crowbar to get them off. And forget about bending over, those days are gone. It's not comfortable to wear pants that stick to you like a rainbow on an oil-slick.
I also despise skinny jeans! I have, very... generously proportioned hips, and you'd sooner squeeze me into a tomato can, than fit me into a pair of skinny jeans.

I'm waiting for relaxed fit to come back in style. I really liked the 90s style, before all the pants got super baggy and saggy. You know, sorta slouchy and comfortable, roomy. But not too baggy or too slim.

Reminds me of being a teenager. :) Sometimes I had to help my sister get dressed, the jeans were so tight that she couldn't do them up by herself. She'd hook a coat hanger through the tab on the zip, I'd hold her jeans closed while she used the coat hanger to pull the zip up. I asked her how she managed to go to the toilet and she said "I don't.".

Madness.

I also despise skinny jeans! I have, very... generously proportioned hips, and you'd sooner squeeze me into a tomato can, than fit me into a pair of skinny jeans.

I'm waiting for relaxed fit to come back in style.

I tried a pair at the store, the same size I have worn for years, I couldn't get my feet through the bottom of the legs. I managed to wrestle the pants on me up to my thighs and that was as far as it went. That doesn't make sense, the sizes are wildly wrong. I want a relaxed fit too, I don't want stressed skinny jeans. :)

The proverbial 'mom' jeans are definitely back in style. A bit like vinyl records, they've always maintained a presence in the world of denim.

And while I like things to be comfortable, I also don't like bulky fabric. I'll wear a hoodie around home to stay warm or walk the dog, but my rule of thumb, if I've worn it to sleep in, it doesn't leave the house.

I also know a lot of people find the skinny cut on denim uncomfortable, anything over a 5% elasticity is firmly in the territory of a legging whether it looks like denim or not. I just prefer the cut because it puts just enough pressure on my joints to keep them from jiggling in the sockets and aching. Same with my tights. It counters my EDS.

I freely admit to a love of geeky t-shirts, (Harry Potter, Star Wars, literary puns, etc...), all of which I can wear to work. I don't do it very often, but some days, a t-shirt, jeans, and my jade beanie are all I can muster.

Oh great. This means the hairstyles that look like you've had a strong electric shock will be back too.

The other night I was watching a local game show/music award show. For a while I thought it was a 80s throwback evening because so much of the clothes and colors looked 80s. It wasn't a 80s throwback evening! I think the 80s are actually back. :D

Straight legs and multiple colors besides blue, that's all I ask for.

Though I must admit, Ive always enjoyed the softness of brushed denim.

I was a shift supervisor in a retail store a few years ago, and I had to wear one of those too!
I actually still have it somewhere lol but I would never wear it again.

The person who manufactured those shirts didn't take into consideration that men and women have different body shapes...
I think you need to burn that shirt with plenty of fire! Horrible things!

One other thing I recall is that after a few washes the stitching would become super solid and scratchy. It was like I had just worn a cheese grater to work. Every seam was like wire!

I wonder if they buy them from the same place? Like ACME super irritating work wear!?

Is it just me or are the current jean trends some of the ugliest in recent memory?

I admit to being a very habitual soul when it comes to jeans. Mine are all dark wash skinny (one of the few cuts that actuality fit) or straight leg (I found a pair that fits and I still think they look odd).

Not being a very big person (in both height and weight), I can't do much volume in terms of pants. I also know what I like is not currently on trend, but they fit me well and have a decidedly more grown up sense of style to them.

The current denim trends are almost caricatures of traditional cuts. Wide leg, hombre wash, acid wash, cargo, cropped, patchwork, flared, and countless combinations of these permutations...it is some of the ugliest stuff I've seen. It just grates on my aesthetic.

It is a bit like going to a bougie ice cream shop and being happy with vanilla and chocolate syrup or fresh strawberries. I love a good chocolate marshmallow swirl as well, but I don't like complicated.

I know what works for my size and shape, but I still marvel at the sort of stuff people buy. Just because it is in vogue and on trend doesn't mean it isn't ugly.

Sorry, I'm being judgy about jeans. It is just that within the last few months jean trends have gotten so over the top that yoga pants or leggings almost make more sense.

We're allowed to wear jeans (no rips or designer tears) on the sales floor. I do occasionally, but I generally prefer to wear a dress with tights or leggings (I stay was more comfortable (warmer) because of layering). (And yes, I am one of those people who thinks wearing pajama pants while in public is a bit sloppy. Jeans, even ugly jeans, at least don't look you just rolled out of bed. As for athletic wear, while casual, it is practical and easy.)

Sorry for getting a bit off point, but fashion is one of those things that is both frivolous and complex, it shouldn't matter, but somehow it does whether we want it to or not. It is also one of my biggest tools when it comes to social camouflage. I've learned that certain cuts, basics, and styles transcend trends, meaning they don't go out of style and don't cater to specific age demographics.

Vogue jeans are very much a teenager, young adult trend. Same with things like crop tops...(never a good fashion choice). You can pretty much pinpoint the age of a lot of our staff simply by their jeans.

If I wear jeans to work, I usually get taken for a teenager or college student at least once per shift. As such people tend to underestimate what I can do. Channel the inner Audrey with an A-line dress, tights, and a cardigan, it is amazing how differently people perceive you. They tend to take me a bit more seriously.

What are your thoughts and/or observations on jeans, trends or other things.

e.g.

Does how you dress impact how others react to you? For me, it is a shield, a very big part of my mask.
There is a current jean trend? I’ve been wearing the same blue jeans for three years and they’re the same type of mine (high wasted) that I had a few years before the newer ones after my guinea pig chewed through the crotch area….I dont really care too much about fashion, although it is getting better — i dont really have a style, and dont really know the different jean types…

New Threads

Top Bottom