• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this love?

I suggest that you do live him very much AS A BROTHER. Because he is not related, it can be easy to confuse emotions and indeed, the fluttering of the heart and the sweaty palms, so indicate a romantic inclination towards him, but your complete lack of jealously, with him having a girlfriend, throws that out.

I have to say that when I have felt sexually attracted to the opposite sex, I do not react downstairs; it is all in my head.

With my husband, some times, I react in that area, but mostly it is just a comfort feeling, when we hug. Actually, he is the only human, so far, that I get a sense of feeling, when we hug.

I believe your classmates are confusing you. It is automatically jumped on that if you get breathless when he walks in etc that the conclusion is being in love. But truly, the fact it doesn't bother you a jot that he has a girlfriend, really does not equate.

Personally, I would just keep concentrating on your deep friendship, but you are going to have to face reality, that his girlfriend, might not app recite the idea of you too being that close.

Is your friend an aspie too? It would explain why he has this deep connection ie hugging you and yet has a girlfriend otherwise, his motives have to be questioned.

No, he is not an aspie. We're quite opposites in fact. He is very socially knowledgeable and seems secure in complicated social situations. He kind of helped me to come out of my shell, in a way. I used to not talk to people who were outside my family or not my teachers. Zook really helped me with that. He helped me with eye contact and social cues. About his motives being questioned, I don't quite know what you mean.

It certainly sounds like romantic love or the butterflies of infatuation (but seeing as you've know each other so long, more than infatuation...so romantic love). You don't always have to be possessive of the other person to be in love. Because you genuinely like and care about this person, you are able to be happy for them even if that doesn't include you romantically...

Hi Royinpink I agree with you I think the attraction level is about as high as it gets, and not everyone in love turns instantly into a goat grazing on horny weed. However I should point out that the pictures are rattling and threatening to fly off the walls. It is premature to make any assumptions on passion levels until there have been some proper kissing sessions. As for the lack of jealousy all that may mean is Cat Fish is a real sweet heart and cares about his happiness. My vote is still YES if the wind sees fit to blow him her way, she already knows him well and thinks he's nice, what more can you ask for. And he may very well like her too and is holding back on the stupid family thing as well. :dog:

Last edited:

Hi royinpink that was very interesting, it would seem that for men closeness and touch for the fire in the mind and visual plus touch for the fire in the Ahem! belly? I'm guessing on the ladies perhaps more relational stuff with words to light up the mind, and words with touching to light the fire below. I'm no expert on this what do you think?:confused:

Aww, sweetie. (Is it ok to call you that?)

What you wrote was beautiful. I don't have any insights, but just wanted to tell you I read the whole thing and found your writing refreshingly *aware* and nuanced. Nothing cringe-worthy or flood-of-teenage-angst (at least not in a negative way) about it at all.

Here's another option: you might be having a physical response to him that's preliminarily sexual without having a romantic attraction, and without being at the point of "woohoo let's get it on!" He smells great to you, which could mean good pheromones and compatible genetics. And you feel safe and comfortable with him, and he's good-naturedly accommodated your "off-beat" requests like carrying the paper so you could have his smell with you. For me, these are all pre-requisites for feeling sexual around/about someone. He sounds like a very safe person to share first/experimental experiences with, after his current relationship runs its course (and depending on your culture, perhaps after you're no longer living with your parents).

Sometimes sex and desire for coitus can be an "appetite comes with eating" sort of thing. That you don't see someone and instantly want intercourse, but you're hugging and then want and enjoy more skin contact, and so on.

Dr. Ruth Grumpy Cat here. What I think it is is actual "love". It sounds like you actually care for his well-being and his happiness so that is why you aren't jealous about this girlfriend of his. You are upset about him not spending time with you because you like his company and feel comfortable around him. The smell thing is because his smell reminds you of him which brings you a sense of comfort and familiarity. You say this girlfriend is "cold" around you and I think this is because she sees you as a threat - if she continues to go out with this guy friend of yours she isn't going to like him spending time with you instead of her. I assume you are asexual? and that could be why you do not have any sexual feelings towards him (I'm only guessing at that). You've known him for a while for this to be lust which would be more of a sexual feeling and you met him when you were 10 yrs old so you wouldn't have had any sexual attraction to him at that age. So yes, I think you do have a form of actual love for him. Thing is he is going out with other people so he must not be feeling the same for you or he might be but knows that you are too young for him right now. Maybe in another 5 yrs this could really be a great relationship - if he doesn't get hitched to someone else by then.

Last edited:
It could be that you're just shy. I have this brother who had chest pains sometimes, but it was really just him being extremely insecure. Of course, it's really up to you if you feel this way or not.

Is any of this
Limerence - Wikipedia
relevant?

Hi ZaphodsCloset the line between Fantasizing love and modeling possible future events with some one you love is very thin some times. When I was preparing my self mentally for making that leap into getting engaged, I had visions of happy picnics in the country with my future new wife and her little boy...with love, laughter sunshine, flowers.. etcetera.. etcetera. Knowing now what I know, I look like a delusional fool, who almost stepped in a pool of darkness and misery. But I still feel my side of the dream was real I could have made it happen...if my ex-girlfriend and her family had been able to choose to be less selfish and thoughtless...we could have lived happily ever after. I think people forget that happiness involves choices, if you want a memory of a lovely picnic, you have to make the sandwiches, put them in the basket, get in the car, and drive to a lovely place. Everyone thinks they are Isak Newton and are sitting around waiting for happiness to fall on their heads like a apple. But even Isak Newton had get up and to walk into the orchard and sit under a loaded apple tree for that to happen. So if you feel the Magic with some one check it out, see if there is enough there to make it work. I tried my very best to make the dream happen but sometimes you have to draw from the hat again and hope for a sweet heart this time.:):rose:

I think I'll go against the grain here and say that I don't think it's romantic attraction.

Or at least, not romantic attraction in the strictest sense of the word. Love takes many forms and not all of them are easily placed into a box. and I have found myself somewhere in the middle of that crossover on occasion. I have a friend whom I almost feel the same way about; while the cuddle urges aren't there (I'm an aromantic asexual who likes to keep physical contact to a minimum), I love being in her presence, I love her, I also get that warm feeling, but I know for certain that it most certainly ins't romance that I feel, or am looking for, with her. I actually really identify with what you wrote in your original post. What stood out to me was you mentioning your lack of jealousy, which also applies to me. Maybe it isn't true in 100% of cases, but jealousy almost always accompanies a romantic attraction to someone who already has a partner.

I gather from your timeline (correct me if I'm wrong!) that you are now sixteen and he 21. If so, you are at a very confusing stage of life. Do your feelings, and analysis of them, make sense? Maybe, maybe not.

As a final note, I recommend not acting on these impulses, partly for the reasons you already mentioned (family, his girlfriend, how he might feel toward you, etc.).

[QUOTE="wyverary, I gather from your timeline (correct me if I'm wrong!) that you are now sixteen and he 21. If so, you are at a very confusing stage of life. Do your feelings, and analysis of them, make sense? Maybe, maybe not.[/QUOTE]

Okay wyverary you are better than me at the math, and the reading, some how I thought I picked up that she was in collage, now all my lovely posts are ruined.:tongueclosed: Bleh!, Oh well I tried.:rolleyes: I'm staying fast on my chemistry position I really care what everybody calls that much chemistry, I'm still going to call it a good start.:D:rose: I wish I felt that more with the eligable girls around me, it seems to only happen once in a blue moon.:( :snowflake: Umm..she can still chase him in 2 years.:smilingimp::rose::dog: Woof!

Another reason that I am not quite sure if the classmate's (plural classmates, actually, as many other people joined in) answer is accurate is that I don't have any feelings of jealousy, as people are prone to have when in love with somebody. My friend has had a girlfriend for the past couple of months, but when he had first told me of this I felt nothing but happiness. This friend is very lonely, and has had many bad experiences with girls taking advantage of his unusual (A bit too extreme, in my opinion) niceness.

I think it sounds like a pleasant relationship. You appreciate his beautiful soul, and you have a special friendship which no doubt is the envy of all. It's not like you're hung up on him when looking at other guys, maybe you see him as some ideal man, and it's part admiration, where you are looking at him and these feelings as a basis for knowing what you want in future relationships.

I had that fluttery butterfly feeling a while back, I happened to see a guy I thought was gorgeous, I ended up connecting with him online and we chatted a bit, and he told me he had aspergers. He was kind of flipping out and stuff, he had a lot of emotional baggage, but it didn't bother me, I just saw fluffy clouds and rainbows every time he would say anything. Nothing ever came of it, we stopped writing eachother. But I still feel all airy inside when I think about him. I think we could have been friends, I wasn't sure why that never happened, trust issues I guess. I do miss him also. Some of my fluffy thoughts touched on the idea of getting married, owning a little house, white picket fence, and being blissfully happy together. But I would have gladly settled on friends.

[QUOTE="MicroWeiss, You appreciate his beautiful soul, fluttery butterfly feeling fluffy clouds and rainbows feel all airy inside fluffy thoughts geting married, owning a little house, white picket fence, and being blissfully happy together.[/QUOTE]

Aaaaaagh! I don't think I can take this thread any more,o_O you''re making me miss my rotten ex.:rolleyes: I really need to round up a new girlfriend, well you all can talk about cold clinical logical reasons to do nothing,:confused: I just see roses in the ditch which makes me sad.:(:rose::rose::rose::tongueclosed:Bleh!

Ummm...shes got it pretty bad I think if any arms get put around any one the elements will be....Ahem! anyways I think the age thing is stupid and 5 years is nothing as you get older. I'm not even going to tell you how much younger my ex was who was chasing me for 2 years:D of course I clean up a little better than some at my age.:D

Funny, since you posted this comment (it happened last night, actually), I gave my friend a hug and we were snuggling and I think he got a bit of an, umm, ...yeah, you know. It was kind of weird because it wasn't weird, if that makes any sense. It should have been awkward but it wasn't. We both just sat there, still hugging each other for a while both knowing what had happened, but it was as if it was an insignificant detail.

Funny, since you posted this comment (it happened last night, actually), I gave my friend a hug and we were snuggling and I think he got a bit of an, umm, ...yeah, you know. It was kind of weird because it wasn't weird, if that makes any sense. It should have been awkward but it wasn't. We both just sat there, still hugging each other for a while both knowing what had happened, but it was as if it was an insignificant detail.

Ha! Maelstrom wins!:D Oh sorry am being bad again.:rolleyes: Umm... you go girl and all that lovely stuff..happily ever after:rose:. Don't get too naughty :oops: or I may lose points with the big guy up stairs for matching you up.;) But I did have a feeling there was some magic there:rose:.:D How old are you M Catfish? I'm no good at math.:confused:

I think it sounds like a pleasant relationship. You appreciate his beautiful soul,

Hi cute little Bunny girl:rabbit:..um sorry for my last post on you. I plead temporary insanity due to a hole in the heart:rose:. Some people may dispute the temporary part.;) My sympathies go out to you on your lost happily ever after,:( I had a few of those lovely fluffy family dancing in the meadow dreams. Sigh! I don't believe H..ll :rage: but there may be a few potential mother inlaws who could use a free spa coupon for a visit there. I'm sorry things didn't go better for you MicroWeiss, I don't know why love is so hard.:confused: In my mind love should be like sugar and butter melting together into delicious caramel:lollipop:, but it seems to mostly end in burning oil and boiling water all over the kitchen. I guess not to many people are good at the melting together part.:(

Hi cute little Bunny girl:rabbit:..um sorry for my last post on you. I plead temporary insanity due to a hole in the heart:rose:. Some people may dispute the temporary part.;) My sympathies go out to you on your lost happily ever after,:( I had a few of those lovely fluffy family dancing in the meadow dreams. Sigh! I don't believe H..ll :rage: but there may be a few potential mother inlaws who could use a free spa coupon for a visit there. I'm sorry things didn't go better for you MicroWeiss, I don't know why love is so hard.:confused: In my mind love should be like sugar and butter melting together into delicious caramel:lollipop:, but it seems to mostly end in burning oil and boiling water all over the kitchen. I guess not to many people are good at the melting together part.:(
Bunny Girl!!?? Your overuse of emoticons makes me want to emit a high pitched skreeee. No doubt the sound bunnies make. Thanks though. I recovered from it, I can relate to your blue moon comment. I'm developing theories on that, and they are disturbed, so I won't share them. Still wanting to appear sane.

Bunny Girl!!?? Your overuse of emoticons makes me want to emit a high pitched skreeee. No doubt the sound bunnies make. Thanks though. I recovered from it, I can relate to your blue moon comment. I'm developing theories on that, and they are disturbed, so I won't share them. Still wanting to appear sane.

Okay MicroWeiss, evil :smilingimp: Mael apologizes somewhat unrepentently for teasing you on the bunny :rabbit:thing. But in my defence you chose a adorable bunny :rabbitface: icon. Ah! you lost me on the blue moon thing are you referring to my love is to hard comment with the blue :confused: confused face, or how rare the melting together thing is? o_O
Umm.. on the apearing sane thing I don't worry too much on it I figure my friends will see the mountain behind the cloud, but the rest will see me as nothing, no matter what I do. I do however know how to use being nothing to my advantage:smilingimp::rocket:...:screamcat::eek: if I wish. however I prefer to be :innocent: when I can.:D....is that enough emoticans to make you. :tongueclosed:Bleh! Best wishes Mael:):sunflower:..:bee:

I hate to bother anyone who might be reading this downpour of what might be perceived as no more than a stereotypical flood of teenage angst, but I have a genuine question that would best be answered by people with similar neurological wiring.

I have had a friend for six years. Family friend, visits our house every couple of weeks but has now lived in college town for the past three years. We met on stage, strangely enough, whenever I was about ten and he fifteen.

This question comes into play, however, due to a conversation I had with some of my classmates. I was beginning to be concerned that I had some sort of heart defect due to the occasional heavy thumping and light airy feeling I get in my chest on occasion, stemming from about six years ago. They had asked me about the specifics and soon pointed out that all of these "attacks" coincided with me being around, texting with, or even thinking about this friend.
As of now, I can see how ridiculous my previous hypothesis of a heart defect was, as my chest is feeling airy at the mention of my friend. I have examined my behaviour since then and have come to the definite conclusion that this feeling, whatever it may be, is a response to this friend. Perhaps I had diverted myself from the obvious due to my unwillingness to admit that I could respond to another individual in such a positive way. I say positive, but sometime this feeling burns or keeps me from thinking of other things. I have never slept well, but this feeling has occasionally disrupted my sleep these past years.

Anyhow, my classmate concluded that I must be sexually attracted to this friend of mine, for they believe the feeling I described to be a sexual response. I will admit that my hands become sweaty and my pulse quicker when addressing my friend, but I don't feel any stimulation in the genital area. I often want to reach out and hug my friend (something highly unusual for me), but I have never had any desire for coitus whatsoever. We often hug and this airy feeling intensifies during these occasions, but as stated previously, I don't recognise any sexual urges. Sometimes, when we are both laying on the sofa, I have the urge to snuggle with him, but not in a sexual context: I'm curious if all of these feelings are some sort of repressed expression of a subconscious romantic inclination towards him, because it doesn't seem common for friends to snuggle or hug as frequently as we do.

This post is becoming excruciatingly long and I apologise to anyone bothering to read it, but I am providing as much information as I can in search for the most accurate answer.

Another reason that I am not quite sure if the classmate's (plural classmates, actually, as many other people joined in) answer is accurate is that I don't have any feelings of jealousy, as people are prone to have when in love with somebody. My friend has had a girlfriend for the past couple of months, but when he had first told me of this I felt nothing but happiness. This friend is very lonely, and has had many bad experiences with girls taking advantage of his unusual (A bit too extreme, in my opinion) niceness. It is not uncommon for people to bum rides off of him when they are drunk or make him pay for things, but this girlfriend is a good person. She has come over a couple of times before and is amiable (though sometimes she shows an unusual coldness towards me, compared to her like of my parents) and I am glad that my friend has someone to be happy with. Yet, on the other hand, he hasn't been visiting us as often as he used to because of his occupation with this girlfriend and this irritates me. I don't know if this is jealousy, though, because I feel nothing towards her, but rather a frustration at his lack of visits.

Yet then again, my fondness for his smell might be cited as evidence for my having a romantic inclination towards him. I have a very sensitive nose and recognise others by their smell, and I have never met anyone who's smell is as pleasant as that of my friend, not even my closest family members have scents that comfort me as much as his. A few years ago, upon my request, he put a piece of paper I had given him in his coat pocket for a while and then given it back so that I could have a sample of his smell with me. Whenever I have bad days, I can open the book I put it in and the smell makes me almost as happy as when he is here.

I cannot tell if I am in love or not. I cannot accept either answer from myself, because, in saying no I might be deceiving myself and in saying yes I might be talking of a subject I know nothing about.

Have you had any similar experiences?

What do you think?

If I am in love, are there any good methods for suppressing this feeling or should I just withdraw from this individual?

I don't know what more to say or ask. I don't mean to sound hopelessly melodramatic, but I'm sick of losing sleep over this. The idea that I might have been in love for so many years and deceived myself of the fact scares me, but so does the idea that I have a heart defect. XD I just need a third person opinion on this, someone unbiased as I come from a small town where many of my classmates have pre-conceived notions as to my friend and I. In a way, I think the people telling me I was in love were trying to fulfil their own romantic notion that someone like me could be subject to love. In a way, I also think they might have been right.

And then again, they might be wrong. }:/

I have such a headache. Thanks to anyone who managed to read my entire catharsis all the way through, it must have been cringe worthy in it's adolescent confusion. :)

I remember this post. I desperately tried to answer it but my tablet couldn't handle it. You are the reason I am finally made it on my desktop :p.

Lets see what I can remember. (and you probably had a lot of other responses already). When I really like somebody (other symptomless), there will be NO sexual arousion what so ever. Yes, everything matches with a love reaction. (but I am no doctor).

I have practically no jealous reaction. So nothing strange there. I am kinda proud of it to be honest. I am only jealous when it comes to morning the loved and lost. In fact if I love somebody, but without a sad underlying feeling...I am always happy for the other person.

I remember going over my psychology years memory. Family, actually represents home and safety. Liking smell, especially when others are disgusted...that tends to be because you smell his pheromones and your "nose" says...DNA is good.

Oh yeah the suppressing part. You are Aspie right :p. Love should not be feared. It can hurt you if you act on it and get rejected. But the feeling is a great enjoyment if you accept it. Sort of like a roller coaster ride. If you try to sit still by force, you hate it (because you can't), if you let go and trust the holding equipment....it is fantastic!

I think your body is in love, but your mind hasn't noticed. Thereby in effect making both your friends and yourself happy ;). In fact what I personally found was one of my biggest shortages, that I could feel my emotions, but didn't understand for a long time what they meant. I later found out that NT have a part of the brain that might be sufficient to perform the translations when reading peoples emotions. But in my case...it was like starting with nothing. At the same time, a lot of advice of NT's seemed totally unsuitable, and it was. But putting what I have learned and what you describe together, I would say...we are just as much able to fall in love as any NT. But as you noticed, and so did I, we might not understand what is happening so easily. And therefor seem like we can't.

I remember the first time I wrote in my diary that I had sexual feelings for a girl. That was also the last page I wrote, since I never dared to open the diary again out of shame :p.

But no matter what it is. There is a whole big difference in feeling something, and acting on it. He might for example not see you as a woman at this point, but as a best friend (he put you in the friend zone). "And you have got to act like a darn slut to change that" :p But then again, he might also think you put him in the friend zone.

The heart problem description is exactly as I would describe it, if I didn't know another explanation. The rest seems to match perfectly. I would even say you are almost madly in love :p. But on the bright side, he smells good...so if you ever want children without a husband...you might want to look him up :p. In other words.....there is no rush. He won't be the only one. And it helps if you discover yourself more at the moment. Unless you are up for more discovery :p.

New Threads

Top Bottom