• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this a common experience?

Hi, Russ03. Welcome!

So far you have received armchair diagnoses from several people who probably are not qualified even to do armchair diagnosis, let alone professional diagnosis.

All the things you describe could equally well be another half dozen or more things. It does sound like you are having trouble coping and managing your emotional life.

You've mentioned when you feel a bit better you decide not to get help, but the cyclicity of your experience ought to teach you that it's a mere matter of time before you feel worse. So get help. Get a mental health evaluation and a therapist. Be open to the fact that not all therapists are great for all people, but that being said, it's not a reason to shun therapy, just a reason to be a savvy consumer of services.

People here will be happy to act as a sounding board as you experience the unfamiliar moments of therapy and of living, but we can't cure you and it seems like you can't, either. Get help. Best of luck, and don't be a stranger!

Thankyou for the reply, ill be sure to take everything with a grain of salt but still go seek the professional help that I need. Thats a relly interesting wway of looking at it, ill try to open up more and be open. All the best to you too.

Welcome. As others have said,sounds like you are going through a phase of depression. I can definitely relate. Hope it gets better for you.

Thankyou for the reply, it means alot. Ill try to reach out.
Also i love your picture of Fili and Kili, its funy cause The Hobbit is one of my current and reoccuring obsessions. Thankyou again
I hope you find someone able to help you :relaxed: The Hobbit was a major obsession of mine for the better part of a year, I've moved on now but still love this picture :smile:

Hi and welcome.
I definitely can relate.
Over the past 7 years I've gone through different phases from survival mode, resentment,
waiting on a feeling of motivation and some form of feeling content again
that never came. About a year ago I really felt emotionally burnt out and physically exhausted.
All from major life changes.
I've been seeing a psychologist for therapy and a psychiatrist for meds.
Nothing has changed for me. Now it's like I can't feel any lust for life and want to isolate
and sleep a lot to get away from it.

Both of my doctors say it is PTSD and depression.
I get that derealization in crowds and when anxious. Very strange feeling.

I certainly hope you can find help that works for you. Keep trying.
Different docs if need be.

Has anything major happened to you? Relationships, people passing away, job change?
Do you get plenty of sun and if older - do you take supplements?
Okay, just some thoughts.
I am moving and l noticed l want rebel and not do anything so l am rewarding myself and reminding self it's all for good. But l have moved every year and l am tired of moving. Some days l feel lethargic but l use caffeine now to push me.

Hi and welcome.
I definitely can relate.
Over the past 7 years I've gone through different phases from survival mode, resentment,
waiting on a feeling of motivation and some form of feeling content again
that never came. About a year ago I really felt emotionally burnt out and physically exhausted.
All from major life changes.
I've been seeing a psychologist for therapy and a psychiatrist for meds.
Nothing has changed for me. Now it's like I can't feel any lust for life and want to isolate
and sleep a lot to get away from it.

Both of my doctors say it is PTSD and depression.
I get that derealization in crowds and when anxious. Very strange feeling.

I certainly hope you can find help that works for you. Keep trying.
Different docs if need be.

Thankyou so much for the reply,
thankyou, and i hope the same for you.

Has anything major happened to you? Relationships, people passing away, job change?
Do you get plenty of sun and if older - do you take supplements?
Okay, just some thoughts.
I am moving and l noticed l want rebel and not do anything so l am rewarding myself and reminding self it's all for good. But l have moved every year and l am tired of moving. Some days l feel lethargic but l use caffeine now to push me.

No, nothing major had happened that i can recall, nothing i'd consider major anyway. Which is why it feels really wierd that i am experiencing this, along with the fact that im still pretty young.
Thankyou for the reply, i hope everything gets better for you soon. Best of luck

Thankyou so much for the reply.
Even though id never want anyone to experience this, it is comforting to know that there are others who can relate.
I wish you the best of luck
Thank you. It's an up and down thing for me, though.

As someone who suffers from depression, one thing I've come to realize is that sometimes there is no external trigger for the kinds of episodes you're talking about. They just hit you suddenly and then you're in a rut. I try to piece together what might have caused me to isolate and ruminate and just chalk it up to my brain chemistry. While my life has been full of reasons to be depressed, there isn't always a direct link between the incidents that contribute to my depression and the episodes themselves. The circumstances of my life may be objectively better than they were before, but my mind doesn't always act accordingly. It's a feature of the disease.

I agree with what others have posted above me - I think seeking out a professional therapist would be a great place to start so you can hopefully get to the bottom of this. Your mileage may vary with them, but I'm a living testament to the power of a good talk therapist. I've never been on an anti-depressant but you may find them helpful to your situation, in which case you'll need to find a prescribing psychiatrist as well. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress!

I was not only depressed for over 40 years but have always had these benign absences, "zoning out" which confused some people but others were used to me! When I talked my old GP into prescribing some (weak) pills for the absences I found they also improved a background feeling of low level pain in my nerves. I've stopped taking them but the improvement on both counts has stayed! We're all different so that mightn't be relevant to you anyway.

My fallback has always been self acceptance and assume others will raise the question of seeking remedial action if I'm impacting them too badly.

No-one else owns my emotions, I do. Now that I understand, I'll feel sad if I want to. Likewise I know I'm not going to just disappear if I feel pain. I'm lucky I've now got time to not meet performance targets. Hence no-one gets any blunt or sharp end of my feelings (inadvertently) out of my frustration. I just say to myself, I hurt, or I'm disturbed. I slow down to a standstill. I think what I last ate or something else neutral to good. Same if my attention is wandering and I just need a rest.

But that's just me!

Russ, as you are quite young it's great to be self aware for all-important practical reasons. Your OP didn't actually come over as depressed to me. If you do end up consulting a pychiatrist bear in mind the most commoin SSRI and SNRI classes of pill don't suit large numbers of patients. Just make your "problems" e.g slowness and thoughtfulness work for you and not against you. Are people giving you hassle because of the things you described?

New Threads

Top Bottom