• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this a common experience?

Russ03

Hi everyone,
I've been experiencing some problems lately and im not sure whether if they are the result of my aspergers or not. For the past few months i have started to become disassociated in many aspects of my life. I have trouble focusing, have lost interests in the things i woould normally enjoy, have very little motivation, am almost numb or unfased by my emotions a majority of the time, and feeling like i have become distant within relationships (both with family and friends). I tend to keep a lot of things to myself and have a really hard time opening up on certain manners. I read and day dream a lot to the point of near obsession, so i originally thought that i might be off in another world too often and not focusing on my own life, but i have experienced something like this before. I eventually got better but i feel like ive jumped bacl down the rabbit hole, and this time its worse. Whenever i get really down i can recognise that i have a problem and that i need to seek help, but when im a little better i shove it off as me being overreactive and dramatic, and that ill be fine. Im not sure what to feel about this, has anyone else has this experience?
Thankyou for your time.

Hi everyone,
I've been experiencing some problems lately and im not sure whether if they are the result of my aspergers or not. For the past few months i have started to become disassociated in many aspects of my life. I have trouble focusing, have lost interests in the things i woould normally enjoy, have very little motivation, am almost numb or unfased by my emotions a majority of the time, and feeling like i have become distant within relationships (both with family and friends). I tend to keep a lot of things to myself and have a really hard time opening up on certain manners. I read and day dream a lot to the point of near obsession, so i originally thought that i might be off in another world too often and not focusing on my own life, but i have experienced something like this before. I eventually got better but i feel like ive jumped bacl down the rabbit hole, and this time its worse. Whenever i get really down i can recognise that i have a problem and that i need to seek help, but when im a little better i shove it off as me being overreactive and dramatic, and that ill be fine. Im not sure what to feel about this, has anyone else has this experience?
Thankyou for your time.
it is and it isn’t it’s depression but heres the it is you feeling more intensely Put mindfulness into a search engine then continue

Hi everyone,
Thankyou for your time.

First warm wellcome to the forums :)

What youre desribing is in my Knowledge possible Co morbid diagnosis to youre Asbergers (in this case possibly depression and or also Bipolar disorder) So what you need to do is get help for this. I have them all Severe on Depression Moderate on Bipolar. BUT of course only a cert doc can make that diagnose and im not i only go by my own diagnosis :rolleyes:

And like you i have fallen in this roller couster ride MOST of my life and sadly as time have gone by i fall deeper and deeper every time i fall down in that dark black deep hole :(

I experience those things, but for me it’s the depression part of my bipolar disorder which I have alongside with my Aspergers.

There is actually a strong Connection between Bipolar & Depression disorder and its not uncommon to have both (same with Anxiety disorder )

Hi everyone,
Thankyou for your time.
You sound like me when I hadn’t been taking a sedative ,I now take a SSRI ,I had a time of real blackness A few times in in my late teens years and just after my mother died ,If you are taking or thinking about taking or just started taking a sedative or SSRI ,you need to get back to or see your therapist ,those drugs alter your mind.

Hi, Russ03. Welcome!

So far you have received armchair diagnoses from several people who probably are not qualified even to do armchair diagnosis, let alone professional diagnosis.

All the things you describe could equally well be another half dozen or more things. It does sound like you are having trouble coping and managing your emotional life.

You've mentioned when you feel a bit better you decide not to get help, but the cyclicity of your experience ought to teach you that it's a mere matter of time before you feel worse. So get help. Get a mental health evaluation and a therapist. Be open to the fact that not all therapists are great for all people, but that being said, it's not a reason to shun therapy, just a reason to be a savvy consumer of services.

People here will be happy to act as a sounding board as you experience the unfamiliar moments of therapy and of living, but we can't cure you and it seems like you can't, either. Get help. Best of luck, and don't be a stranger!

That sounds similar to my experience of depression, but as GadAbout said none of us here have the information to even begin to try and diagnose you. You should be telling this to your GP or a mental health professional.

My guess is that you know where to go for a medical diagnosis but are checking in with us to see what we think. Sounds like it's hard for you to take the step of seeing a medical professional? Also you are wondering if these symptoms are 'part of your Aspergers'?

As @Sarah S and @Bolletje said, some other diagnoses like depression, bipolar, or anxiety, may go alongside Aspergers, and I guess if you do have any of those , you may experience the symptoms you described, which as you say can seem like some aspects of your Aspergers is getting worse. However as Aspergers is a brain difference and not an illness, it doesn’t as such get worse, so it's unlikely to be the reason you feel like this. Hopefully you can soon get help for whatever this is, and feel better.

Hi everyone,
Thankyou for your time.

I'm not sure whether I'm on the spectrum, I don't have a diagnosis yet. But I have phases like yours and those symptoms you desribe sound like depression (losing interests in favorite activities, isolating yourself, low energy, feeling numb).

Derealization syndrome could also be what you describe as being numb. If you feel like watching TV while interacting with your environment, it could be derealization. It's something I have in stressful situation, under pressure, in crowds. My own voice sounds alien to me, I don't feel myself, I don't have emotions, noises around me sound warped like they come through a wall.

What I've written above are mere speculations, the same symptoms can have very different causes. Only an expert will be able to tell.

Hi and welcome. Definitely sounds like depression, and that's just your way of escaping into a more peaceful zone. Reading - no. But I could see myself escaping into my own little world easy.

You're experiences mirror mine in many ways. I also have MS on top of my recent, ridiculously extreme ASD symptoms. Misery has become a way of life for me, though I can't say my life is worse than anybody else's. I feel like Gandalf the White having just replaced the Gandalf the Grey and is scratching his head, "Wait a minute... Aren't I someone else?"

First warm wellcome to the forums :)

What youre desribing is in my Knowledge possible Co morbid diagnosis to youre Asbergers (in this case possibly depression and or also Bipolar disorder) So what you need to do is get help for this. I have them all Severe on Depression Moderate on Bipolar. BUT of course only a cert doc can make that diagnose and im not i only go by my own diagnosis :rolleyes:

And like you i have fallen in this roller couster ride MOST of my life and sadly as time have gone by i fall deeper and deeper every time i fall down in that dark black deep hole :(

Thankyou so much for replying and for the welcome, ill be sure to reach out.
I sincerely hope things start to go uphill for you.

Hello everyone,
And thankyou for the welcome.
I really didnt expect to get so many replies, so thankyou all.
I can recognise, especially with all the reassurance i have recieved from all of you amazing people, that i need to care more for my mental health and go see a professional to find out what eacly is going on.
It feels really comforting to know that there are others who have or are having the same experiences as myself.
For everyone expressing the same experiencces, i hope things start to look up for all of you.
Thankyou again.

That sounds similar to my experience of depression, but as GadAbout said none of us here have the information to even begin to try and diagnose you. You should be telling this to your GP or a mental health professional.

Thankyou for the reply, it means alot. Ill try to reach out.
Also i love your picture of Fili and Kili, its funy cause The Hobbit is one of my current and reoccuring obsessions. Thankyou again

You're experiences mirror mine in many ways. I also have MS on top of my recent, ridiculously extreme ASD symptoms. Misery has become a way of life for me, though I can't say my life is worse than anybody else's. I feel like Gandalf the White having just replaced the Gandalf the Grey and is scratching his head, "Wait a minute... Aren't I someone else?"

Thank you so much for the reply, I hope things get a bit better for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom