• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is there any way to have more neurodiverse friendly workplaces?

Do you mean actually silent?
This seems infeasible for any communal workspace. Can you adjust your expectations a bit and pair environmental accommodations with personal solutions (i.e. noise canceling headphones).
I am in my early 40s now; and I have been using noise canceling earphones since my high school time.

I realized that using earphones for a very long time decreased my distraction threshold.

Whenever the song I am listening ends, I get very irritated if I hear people chattering in front of my door.

Despite my office door is always closed, all the sounds enter into my office as there is no real wall.

I see this as a respect issue; people can control the tone of their voice for a short period of time if they want to do so when they are in front of my door.

Hello and welcome!

I’m going to provide some general guidance / thoughts based on the details available – I note that some of these (of variations thereof) have already been covered by other thread contributors.

Here, I’m generally using the word “adjustment” instead of “accommodation” as it takes a more neutral tone.

Does anyone (direct supervisor, manager, HR) know you’re in need of adjustments? If not, then you may wish to consider who you want to bring that up with. Your contract or employer’s policy may specify someone that you would need to contact in the event of any accommodation requests. You may wish to also consider if you have any trusted colleagues whom you may wish to approach to see what their thoughts are (perhaps someone who is a union representative or known to be a disability advocate, if there is one) before doing so, and maybe to help identify how you can best go about doing so. Sometimes the employer may very well be willing to work with someone informally to make things work, but of course they can’t “fix” something if they don’t know it’s a concern for you.

If the employer is wanting more information (and quite often they will – this is sometimes do to trying to ensure that what’s being asked for is an necessary adjustment rather than a preference, and so that if someone else wants the same thing, that they can explain that they had reviewed the circumstances and deemed that it warranted accommodation, and that it wasn’t them playing favourites. This also happens in non-disability accommodation scenarios, such as allowing someone with a young child to have a split shift to accommodate school and daycare schedules.

When writing a request, focus on the positives and outcomes, and where possible, estimated performance improvement (or mitigated loss of productivity). While costs are not supposed to be a consideration (and the legal requirement is often to the point of undue hardship, which means aside from mom-and-pop type micro employers, that most things should be accommodatable), being able to show the relative costs and benefits allows the employer to make the decision more easily, as it’s not only the right thing (and potentially legally required) thing to do, but something that also makes business sense.

Check also if there are organizations and/or government programs that assist with individuals with disabilities and employment. Sometimes they may have funding available to help an employer with purchasing equipment or making modifications to their workplace.

Good luck!
Thanks for these suggestions.

Our director knows that I am in the spectrum.

Unfortunately, I have ADHD and probably OCD as well.

Interestingly, the director has a close relative in the autistic spectrum.

As I give nervous responses to people with irritating sounds, he suggested me to take medicine and/or have behavioral therapy.

He is a good person. However, after these suggestions, I got irritated more as this is a neurotypical humiliation approach towards neurodiverse people.

Instead of understanding and eliminating what irritates us, they evaluate us based on our nervous mood as ill people who needs to be cured.

Unfortunately, the terminology used in medicine in my country towards ASD, ADHD or OCD people is also problematic.

Instead of "disorder" they use a term similar to "damaged" which makes things more difficult to change in terms of advocating neurodiversity views.

You asked about legal enforcement for quiet rooms.

I'm not an attorney so I am unable to give legal advice but I am an IP paralegal and legal research is largely what I do so I can help point you in the right direction in regards to your local jurisdictions laws.Where do you live?

You asked about legal enforcement for quiet rooms.

I'm not an attorney so I am unable to give legal advice but I am an IP paralegal and legal research is largely what I do so I can help point you in the right direction in regards to your local jurisdictions laws.Where do you live?
I live in Türkiye. The spectrum communities or organizations seem to be not strong enough to advocate the rights of the employed people in spectrum here.

Silent room is not enough in my case. I need the research lab I am managing to be close to me and not in a noisy place.

New Threads

Top Bottom