• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is there a difference between you and your Asperger's/ASD?

Interesting analogy. And one that, I think, will resonate with a lot of people here. However, I would say that it also further supports my claim that NTs often seek to separate us from our Asperger's in an attempt to avoid dealing with it. That is to say, there is a movement afoot to discount cultural differences among people as if they are mere accoutrements to the ¨real¨ person. While it is true that all people have basic needs, beliefs, and pursuits (including people on the Autism Spectrum), cultural differences do impact how we understand and relate to those needs, beliefs and pursuits.
I suppose the only way we can help change that, or at least attempt to, would be to answer them proudly. Not so much in an arrogant way; just in a way that tells them that we are happy with who we are. Much of what people take from a conversation can be altered by how we deliver information; not just what we say. People will react to how you make them feel, so this plays a role in determining how they will react towards you.

I have to agree, I am who I am because of my Aspergers. It just took 40 years to find out why I am the way that I am. And I wouldnt change anything other than finding out about it sooner. I hate it when people try to seperate me from my disablity, its totaly annoying. Mikie

I suppose the only way we can help change that, or at least attempt to, would be to answer them proudly. Not so much in an arrogant way; just in a way that tells them that we are happy with who we are. Much of what people take from a conversation can be altered by how we deliver information; not just what we say. People will react to how you make them feel, so this plays a role in determining how they will react towards you.
I agree with you--up to a point. Yes, how we approach a dialogue (our tone, our choice of words) can make a difference in how someone responds. At the same time, we don't have complete control over how a person reacts, and for some, it doesn't matter how gentle we are, they will react negatively.

This is a very philosophical and metaphysical question. The traits that define high functioning autism can be directly linked to fetal development during the first trimester. So you were on the ASD/Aspergers spectrum before you knew you were you, follow? But you were also you before anyone knew you were on the spectrum including you.
For me the answer is yes. Knowing I am on the Autism spectrum helps me understand why I make the choices I am making and therefore allows me to make better, or at least more informed, decisions.

We must believe in free will, we have no other choice. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

When I try to get help in school, they ask me to say what I find difficult due to my ASD, and this never really made sense to me. I don't know what is "me" and what is ASD, I just don't know where the line goes. ASD is life long, so how would I know.

New Threads

Top Bottom