• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it wise to "cross that bridge when we get to it"?

Control. I think it's all about letting go of control.

Our own personal histories serve as reminders about what happens when we haven't prepared or planned for...whatever...

How uncomfortable the 'unknown' is and the unfolding thence bombardment of countless 'states' and feelings once we're smack-bang in the middle of the unknown.

To try to avoid those types of situations we will look for ways to change what happens.
(Gain control)

We accept we're not clairvoyant and couldn't possibly predict the precise state of said bridge thus choose method for crossing.
(Our choice -or control, has just been removed)

*It's at this point we DO have choices*

1) - In desperation we could try to regain a measure of control.

We have memories to draw from and the brains to make fair and reasonable best guesses at what could possibly happen.
So we may plan in advance for possible outcomes
(a measure of control, not actual...but feels much better than blind panic so we'll go with that)

The amount of preparation and planning involved in the above is astounding. Not to mention wearing.

2) - In an odd sort of way we can give up control in order to stay in control.

By which I mean Let go of that draining, tiresome task of listing and prepping for possible outcomes - non of which may happen anyway,

and instead, sprint to that bridge, stand still at the centre of it, close your eyes and focus inward. Feel that fear.
The 'feeling' wont kill you.
It may feel like you're going to die.
But you really wont.

(My OCD wants to write - unless that imagined, laden 18 wheeler is thundering toward you at 55mph and your stood in the middle of an imagined bridge with your eyes closed !) :D

What is "A bridge too far?"
I like this post, I might have to do some thinking and get back to it, if that's ok.
"A Bridge Too Far" is a movie about Operation Market Garden in WWII. The Allies attempted to seize and cross several bridges in the Netherlands without proper preparation. They made wildly optimistic assumptions, refused the assistance of the Dutch resistance, and deliberately ignored intelligence that indicated it was heavily defended by an SS Panzer division. In the end, the bridge in Arnhem proved impossible to cross and many thousands of people lost their lives

When the commander who had come up with the idea, Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery, was asked about the debacle his response was just that they had gone a bridge too far.

If you are prosecuting a war, "crossing that bridge when you get to it" can be a fatal mistake.

I really hope someone gets this post, it's about anticipating and hoping to prevent problems.
"Cross that bridge if/when you get to it"
That is sometimes said to me.
It feels disorganised and ill prepared.

Do we pitch our tent when we arrive, so we are nice and dry when the rain comes?
Or
Do we go with the flow and pitch the tent when it starts raining?

I hope I am making some sense.
Unless you're a prophet or G-d, you won't know the definite future until it happens or you can decode the old testament so you need to cross some bridges when you come to them

New Threads

Top Bottom